• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

safety inspections

mag71911

imported post

Hi, folks, I'm new to this forum, but I've been scanning through a few of the posts about open carry and have a question. I've seen it mentioned more than once on this website that a person can open carry a handgun in Michigan if it is "safety-inspected." I applied for and received a purchase permit early last year and did not have to present my pistol to law enforcement for inspection after purchase (the firearms dealer said I didn't have to and the sheriff never asked to see the gun when I brought back the permit after purchasing the weapon). Also, I just got my CPL, and one of the instructors at the class also said safety inspections were no longer required. So my question is, are safety inspections no longer required for open carry, or are they just not required for concealed carry?