• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing (just passing through)

Bersa.380

imported post

Hello Colorado ~

I am from Washington State, hold a CPL (concealed Pistol License) from here and I am applying for a non-resident Florida CPL to cover myself in as many states as possible while I tour on my motorcycle.

I understand Colorado DOES NOT issue CPL's to non-residents, what's the buzz if I roll through Durango or travel the Highways while OCing ? Will it land me jail-time and be a hassle ?

cscitney87

imported post

Personally I think you would be fine. Colorado does not require a license to carry a pistol openly. I believe the only requirement for open carry is that you legally are in possession of the pistol to begin with. If it were technically illegal- nobody would bat an eye down south at just another guy with a pistol on his hip- it's very lax.

For reference- http://opencarry.org/travel.html

To be honest- to outsiders this may look oversimplified- BUT this is the only law that matters here in Colorado- pertaining to openly carrying a pistol.

State Constitution Article II Section 13

The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

Bersa.380

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Personally I think you would be fine. Colorado does not require a license to carry a pistol openly. I believe the only requirement for open carry is that you legally are in possession of the pistol to begin with. If it were technically illegal- nobody would bat an eye down south at just another guy with a pistol on his hip- it's very lax.

For reference- http://opencarry.org/travel.html

To be honest- to outsiders this may look oversimplified- BUT this is the only law that matters here in Colorado- pertaining to openly carrying a pistol.

State Constitution Article II Section 13

The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.
OK ... ... I still would like to see more responces on this post !!!

Yooper

imported post

Open Carry (as well as CC) is legal while in/on your vehicle in Colorado. OC is legal state wide, unless you go into specific areas, which must be posted.

The only exception, is the City and County of Denver, in which OC is banned, however you can still carry in your vehicle.

Here's a great starting point for your research:
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/ This site cites the statues which answer many firearms related questions in Colorado

Sig229

imported post

Heres a little tale of one of my trips through Colorado.

I was driving north bound on 85 near a small town called Ault.
I witnessed a hit and run by someone who was clearly driving drunk.

I called 911 and followed the driver until he ditched his car and ran though a small farming equipment lot.
The officers pulled up behind me and I told thme where he was at , they found him hiding behind a dumpster and brought him out and asked me to identify the man, I did.

When the police officer looked in my car (just looked through an open window) he saw my Glock 23 sitting on the seat.

All he said to me was "just dont start waiving it around or anything until after we get your statement".

Keep in mind I had Maryland license plates and I was very far from home. It was clear that I was an "outsider' as you put it.

I have also OC'ed in many part of CO and never ever had a problem.

Bersa.380

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Open Carry (as well as CC) is legal while in/on your vehicle in Colorado. OC is legal state wide, unless you go into specific areas, which must be posted.

The only exception, is the City and County of Denver, in which OC is banned, however you can still carry in your vehicle.

Here's a great starting point for your research:
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/ This site cites the statues which answer many firearms related questions in Colorado
I am from Clare County (Farwell, Mich) .... I take it you live in the U.P. eh ? Don't ya know ?

Yooper

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote
I am from Clare County (Farwell, Mich) .... I take it you live in the U.P. eh ? Don't ya know ?
Ya, you betcha eh!! Lived in Evergreen, Empire, and Delta during an 8 year period in Colorado. But, it came to a point where I couldn't take it anymore.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

You will find that OC's in most of Colorado is well permitted with some exceptions as noted for Dnever City/County. The Sheriff in the Telluride area, not sure what county that is, does not look favorably on OC'ing but have not seen any posts recently for that area.

Keep in mind that Colorado does not recognize Concealed permits that are issued on a Non-Resident basis such as the Florida CC License, so if you Wash State CPL is not recognized by Colorado, don't rely on another issued as a non-res... You should not have any problems down in tgw SW corner of the state. Come, enjoy the scenery and carry openly...

Bersa.380

imported post

ColoradoFlyer wrote:
You will find that OC's in most of Colorado is well permitted with some exceptions as noted for Dnever City/County. The Sheriff in the Telluride area, not sure what county that is, does not look favorably on OC'ing but have not seen any posts recently for that area.

Keep in mind that Colorado does not recognize Concealed permits that are issued on a Non-Resident basis such as the Florida CC License, so if you Wash State CPL is not recognized by Colorado, don't rely on another issued as a non-res... You should not have any problems down in tgw SW corner of the state. **** Come, enjoy the scenery and carry openly... ****
I'll be rolling through Colorado this August to visit a friend down in Taos, NM ... see ya then !

Gunslinger

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Heres a little tale of one of my trips through Colorado.

I was driving north bound on 85 near a small town called Ault.
I witnessed a hit and run by someone who was clearly driving drunk.

I called 911 and followed the driver until he ditched his car and ran though a small farming equipment lot.
The officers pulled up behind me and I told thme where he was at , they found him hiding behind a dumpster and brought him out and asked me to identify the man, I did.

When the police officer looked in my car (just looked through an open window) he saw my Glock 23 sitting on the seat.

All he said to me was "just dont start waiving it around or anything until after we get your statement".

Keep in mind I had Maryland license plates and I was very far from home. It was clear that I was an "outsider' as you put it.

I have also OC'ed in many part of CO and never ever had a problem.
It's legal to conceal a loaded handgun in your car in Colorado, resident or not, including Denver County. Outside of Denver, you can OC virtually anywhere, as well. In El Paso County--Colorado Springs area, you wouldn't get a second look. In the smaller towns, you may get asked 'what are you carrying?' In a friendly way. This is a long way from the PDR of MD.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bersa,

In reply to: " I understand Colorado DOES NOT issue CPL's to non-residents, what's the buzz if I roll through Durango or travel the Highways while OCing ? Will it land me jail-time and be a hassle ?"

Just stayed a couple days in Pegosa Springs & Durango. Open carried everywhere and only got good reactions and nice gun discussions... Southern Colorado is a great place to open carry. I even open carried in downtown Durango once in the bar at the Strater hotel (or whatever the name was) and only got good reactions... Cops were outside everywhere and nobody ran out of the bar to scream for help. No worries man.... Durango is great.

Bersa.380

imported post

Count wrote:
Bersa,

In reply to: " I understand Colorado DOES NOT issue CPL's to non-residents, what's the buzz if I roll through Durango or travel the Highways while OCing ? Will it land me jail-time and be a hassle ?"

Just stayed a couple days in Pegosa Springs & Durango. Open carried everywhere and only got good reactions and nice gun discussions... Southern Colorado is a great place to open carry. I even open carried in downtown Durango once in the bar at the Strater hotel (or whatever the name was) and only got good reactions... Cops were outside everywhere and nobody ran out of the bar to scream for help. No worries man.... Durango is great.
Hey thanks for the update !

Pat-inCO

imported post

18-12-213. Reciprocity. (1) A permit to carry a concealed handgun or a concealed weapon that is issued by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant to this part 2 if the permit is issued to a person who is:
(a) Twenty-one years of age or older; and
(b) (I) A resident of the state that issued the permit, as demonstrated by the address stated on a valid picture identification that is issued by the state that issued the permit and is carried by the permit holder; or
(II) A resident of Colorado for no more than ninety days, as determined by the date of issuance on a valid picture identification issued by Colorado and carried by the permit holder.

(2) For purposes of this section, a "valid picture identification" means a driver's license or a state identification issued in lieu of a driver's license.

History
Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 646, § 1, effective May 17. L. 2007: Entire section amended, p. 956, § 1, effective May 17.

Section 1,b, I is the one to look at for the permit.

As indicated in the above posts, OC in the southern portion of (and Western) Colorado is not a problem. - - DO take care to not have it obscured. That could be taken as CC and could easily cause you problems.