• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legalities of allowing someone to borrow your CCW

onlurker

imported post

Hello all,

I've been browsing this website for a while and thought I would stop by the local forum for some advice.

The short story is my roommate is getting concerned about her safety and has expressed interest in carrying concealed. She has a difficult time saving money and as such, cannot fork over $300-$400 for a decent sidearm. I am in a position to purchase another pistol to add to my own collection and I was wondering what sort of legal repercussions there would be if I were to allow her to borrow one of my pistols. She isn't a CPL holder yet, but there is nothing stopping her from legally obtaining one. The firearm will be mine for all intents and purposes, so I don't think I fall into the category of buying for someone else (I know there is a specific term for this, I just can't think of it). So long as she gets her CPL, is this legal to do? FWIW, the pistol in question will be carried by me until she feels the need to carry for herself.

Lammo

imported post

onlurker wrote:
Hello all,

I've been browsing this website for a while and thought I would stop by the local forum for some advice.

The short story is my roommate is getting concerned about her safety and has expressed interest in carrying concealed. She has a difficult time saving money and as such, cannot fork over $300-$400 for a decent sidearm. I am in a position to purchase another pistol to add to my own collection and I was wondering what sort of legal repercussions there would be if I were to allow her to borrow one of my pistols. She isn't a CPL holder yet, but there is nothing stopping her from legally obtaining one. The firearm will be mine for all intense and purposes, so I don't think I fall into the category of buying for someone else (I know there is a specific term for this, I just can't think of it). So long as she gets her CPL, is this legal to do? FWIW, the pistol in question will be carried by me until she feels the need to carry for herself.
As long as she isa resident of Washington, over 21,and not a prohibited person (as defined in state - RCW 9.41.040 - and federal - 18 USC 922(d) -law), and as long as you are talking about loaning her yourpistol and not your permit, there is nothing I know ofthat would prohibit you from loaning her a pistol.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

onlurker wrote:
Hello all,

The short story is my roommate is getting concerned about her safety and has expressed interest in carrying concealed. She has a difficult time saving money and as such, cannot fork over $300-$400 for a decent sidearm. I am in a position to purchase another pistol to add to my own collection and I was wondering what sort of legal repercussions there would be if I were to allow her to borrow one of my pistols. She isn't a CPL holder yet, but there is nothing stopping her from legally obtaining one. The firearm will be mine for all intents and purposes, so I don't think I fall into the category of buying for someone else (I know there is a specific term for this, I just can't think of it). So long as she gets her CPL, is this legal to do? FWIW, the pistol in question will be carried by me until she feels the need to carry for herself.
As stated above as long as she is legal to posses a firearm I do not see any ramifications coming back upon you.

However I surely hope that she is brought up to speed on the laws and her firearm safety and handling abilities to effectively defend herself as if she is not, I think you would feel terrible if something occurred and she was not prepared.

onlurker

imported post

BigDave wrote:
As stated above as long as she is legal to posses a firearm I do not see any ramifications coming back upon you.

However I surely hope that she is brought up to speed on the laws and her firearm safety and handling abilities to effectively defend herself as if she is not, I think you would feel terrible if something occurred and she was not prepared.
At the very least, I plan to get her up to speed with the knowledge I've acquired regarding safe handling as well as the laws. I figure that's better than nothing. I myself plan to enroll at the NRA pistol course offered by the range near where I live and will suggest she does the same.

oldkim

imported post

No concerns to let her borrow the gun.

NRA Pistol will give a good overview of safe gun handling, familiarization of gun rules, calibers and basic shooting (marksmanship).

It does not cover the legalities you may be needing. There are classes you can sign up for (e.g at Wade's in Bellevue or Insight out of West Coast Armory) that is near you in Everett. But again, that may be a later time due to her financial situation.

I'm sure you might want to look at Norpoint,Sam'sor a few gun stores in your area if they have any postings of classes.

Keep it simple - she can't carry it (concealed) she can open carry if she so chooses. At home (she can carry however she likes).

Dave Workman has a small book out that covers the legalities for Washington State.

http://danddgunleather.com/pages/washington_gun_rights.htm

$10.95 - a great simple investment.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

onlurker

imported post

Thanks everyone for the information. Sounds like everything is good to go for her to borrow from me as she sees fit pending her own CPL. I'll make sure to forward this info onto her.

killchain

imported post

21? Check.
Not a felon*? Check.
Resident? Check.

"Here's my .380, friend. I'm gonna go buy this TV I found on Craigslist. If you hear gunshots, call the police and use this. Keep your finger off the trigger until you mean to kill something."

(Or any other conviction that would exempt the person from carrying and/or posessing a firearm)

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

As long as you don't report it as stolen you're all good, haha.

Same as if you just gave it to her then she gave it back later, registration isn't required in Washington state. Doesn't matter who has it as long as you're not restricted from owning firearms and it hasn't been reported stolen.