• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah earned a "perfect" score from the Brady Campaign!

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

I discovered something today that made me smile and I just had to share:

After much hard work by many great people, Utah has finally achieved a “perfect” score the from Brady Campaign.

The maphere has been updated while several other places on their site still show our old score of 4 points.

swillden

imported post

I think the map is wrong, unfortunately.

The only way Utah could have gotten to zero is if the Brady Campaign changed their scoring method. Utah has four points because of two things: State law does not require employers to allow employees to carry (two points) and we don't have a full "shoot first" law (two points). The latter issue is debatable. Utah doesn't have a complete "stand your ground" law, but Utah law does formally state that you have no duty to retreat if you are in a place lawfully, and we do have a strong defense of habitation law.

There aren't any changes in place or on the horizon that would get rid of the other two points, though. Except for state and local government employees, we can be fired for carrying at work.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

swillden wrote:

The only way Utah could have gotten to zero is if the Brady Campaign changed their scoring method. Utah has four points because of two things: State law does not require employers to allow employees to carry (two points) and we don't have a full "shoot first" law (two points). The latter issue is debatable. Utah doesn't have a complete "stand your ground" law, but Utah law does formally state that you have no duty to retreat if you are in a place lawfully, and we do have a strong defense of habitation law.

I suspect our parking lot preemption law is enough to count as "requiring employees to allow guns at work" as far as the Brady bunch is concerned. And a formal "stand your ground law" is likely enough to get us "credit" for "shoot first" in the minds of the hopolophobes at Brady.

The parking lot preemption is a personal favorite of mine. But I do admit to some bias there. :cool:

Charles

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

swillden wrote:
I think the map is wrong, unfortunately.

There aren't any changes in place or on the horizon that would get rid of the other two points, though. Except for state and local government employees, we can be fired for carrying at work.

It's certainly possible they've made a mistake on the map. We all know they make plenty elsewhere.I know you're right that they used to credit us withtwo points for "No Shoot First Law" but I've been on a little crusade to persuade them they are inflating our grade inappropriately. I hand-delivered a letter to Paul Helmke at an SCCC convention in DC and also have emailed and called Peter Hamm to convince them that Utah did not deserve those two points. Maybe I've finally managed to convince them.

Here's the letter I gave to Mr. Helmke some time ago:
Mr. W. Paul Helmke Jr., President
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
1225 Eye Street, NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005

Dear Mr. Helmke:

I was recently reviewing the 2007 Brady Campaign State Gun Laws Scorecard Rankings. Utah tied with four other states for the third-lowest score of four points. Only Oklahoma and Kentucky were lower, with scores of two points. With all due respect, I believe an error has been made and Utah was scored higher than it should have been.

The detailed state scorecard shows that Utah received two points for “No Guns Allowed in Workplace - Employers not forced to allow firearms on premises” and an additional two points for “No Shoot First Law – Deadly force not allowed to be a first resort in public.” I don’t dispute the first item (although we’re working on fixing that), but I believe your organization is mistaken about the second item. The Brady Campaign’s State Gun Laws database for Utah also says, “Utah – The state does not allow the use of deadly force as a first resort in public.”

Utah Code § 76-2-402, force in defense of person -- Forcible felony defined, Subsection (3) says “A person does not have a duty to retreat from the force or threatened force described in Subsection (1) in a place where that person has lawfully entered or remained, except as provided in Subsection (2)(c).”

Given § 76-2-402 (3), I hope to see the Brady Campaign correct this oversight in the State Gun Laws Scorecard and allow Utah to assume it’s proper position at the bottom of the Brady Campaign’s rankings. While I have little doubt that it makes members of your organization cringe, it is a badge of honor to me to know that my state has such profound respect for the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Regardless of your or my views on the Second Amendment, accuracy and competence should be a priority and so I hope to see the error corrected soon.

Sincerely,

<me>

swillden

imported post

SecondAmendmentStudents wrote:
Here's the letter I gave to Mr. Helmke some time ago
Awesome! You, sir, deserve a round of applause! Since I don't have an emoticon for that, you get some dancing bananas.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1223/

Brady Campaign State Scorecards: Most States Have Weak Gun Laws

WASHINGTON - February 18 -

Most states have weak or non-existent gun laws, helping feed the illegal gun market and allowing the sale of guns without background checks including at gun shows, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Forty-three states fail to close the loophole that allows criminals to buy guns at gun shows without Brady background checks.

Scores range from the first-ever "zero," earned by Utah, to 79 for California. The complete scorecard results can be accessed at http://www.bradycampaign.org.

"Most states, unfortunately, are doing very little to protect citizens from gun violence. Most states are allowing dangerous people to have easy access to guns," said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Few states have laws addressing the critical issue of gun trafficking such as requiring background checks on all gun purchases at gun shows. The Brady Campaign is advocating for legislation to close the gun show loophole at the national level.

Many states with weak gun laws have a high percentage of crime guns recovered that were originally purchased within their own state. The Brady Campaign relates this "homegrown" gun violence to the lack of gun laws in many states and nationally.

"Since most states don't require Brady criminal background checks on all firearms including those at gun shows, gun traffickers don't need to leave their own state to funnel illegal guns to felons and gang members," said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign. "Many state officials have done nothing in the past year, or before, to stop the flow of illegal guns within the state, including closing the gun show loophole that allows dangerous people to walk into gun shows and buy guns without background checks" Helmke said.

California maintained the top spot with the nation's strongest gun laws. New Jersey maintained its number two ranking and jumped ten points (to 73 points) by passing legislation to stop bulk purchases of handguns.
The categories covered by 2009 Brady Campaign State Scorecards are as follows:
  • States can earn up to 35 points by taking steps needed to "Curb Firearms Trafficking." States can fully regulate the gun dealers within its borders, limit bulk purchases of handguns, provide police certain technology to identify crime guns, and require lost or stolen guns to be reported to the police.
  • States can earn up to 27 points by "Strengthening Brady Background Checks." This involves requiring universal background checks and requiring a comprehensive permit in order to purchase firearms. Short of universal background checks, states can also close the gun show loophole, at least requiring background checks for all gun show sales.
  • States can earn up to 20 points by "Protecting Child Safety" when it comes to guns. States can require that only childproof handguns be sold within their borders, require child safety locks sold with each weapon, hold adults accountable for keeping guns away from kids and teens, and require gun purchasers to be at least 21 years of age.
  • States can earn up to 10 points by "Banning Military-style Assault Weapons," as well as banning high-capacity ammunition magazines.
  • States can earn up to eight points by restricting most "Guns In Public Places" to trained law enforcement and security and "Preserve Local Control" over municipal gun laws. This includes keeping guns out of workplaces and college campuses, not forcing law enforcement to issue concealed handgun permits on demand and not preventing cities from passing their own gun laws.
We acknowledge the research of Legal Community Against Violence on state gun laws. Their publication, "Regulating Guns in America," and website served as a basis for our analysis. For more information about Legal Community Against Violence, see http://www.lcav.org.

[align=center] ###
[/align]
The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and its legislative and grassroots affiliate, the Brady Campaign and its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence.We are devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

vanman80

imported post

Don't celebrate too much, AZ is right behind you! We are on the way to "Out 2nd Adm" all other states!!! We are working on passing a full no licsense CCW and AZ firearms exepmtion laws!! We will soon be taking the covated "0" Brady Score Trophy to new levels!

:celebrate

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

That would be awesome if Arizona joined Alaska And Vermont in not requiring permits to conceal!

I read that Wyoming has a similar bill being worked on now as well. :celebrate

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

vanman80 wrote:
Don't celebrate too much, AZ is right behind you! We are on the way to "Out 2nd Adm" all other states!!! We are working on passing a full no licsense CCW and AZ firearms exepmtion laws!! We will soon be taking the covated "0" Brady Score Trophy to new levels!

:celebrate
As cool as Constitution-carry laws are (and I really hope you guys pass one because it might motivate our Legislature to pass one as well), you won't get to zero from the Brady Bunchuntil you prohibit colleges from banning concealed-carry on campus. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) is working on this in some states. You guys should team up with them and get it done down there in AZ too.

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

gutshot wrote:
I'm humiliated. KY got a 2. I can never show my face in Utah again.
Same problem as Arizona: you're letting those pesky colleges infringe on their students' RKBA. You need to get with SCCC and pass a campus carry law like Utah's, andthen you can hold your head high again. Same goes for Alaska, Idaho, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. You could all be cool with zeroes if you'd just rein in those ivory tower elites.