• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy, car carry questions, current/new legislation

JesseL

imported post

LA4516 wrote:
Not saying I don't want it to pass but if it does you know we will see more of the no firearms signs go up everywhere. Just like the sings that popped up after CC in bars. One step forward two back.
Don't expect most of those signs to last. There was a flurry of them when concealed carry permits started getting issued too, but they gradually fade away again as people realize that the streets have failed to run red with blood.

acmariner99

imported post

I don't think people will make too much of a fuss over it. I remember the law for CCing being passed for some alcoholic establishments last year; don't remember people making a fuss over that either.

azcdlfred

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I have a few questions.

According to my understanding of the ARS for car carry, if you do not have a CCW, your firearm needs to be "two steps removed" from being able to fire. (e.g., holstered and in a glove box). I find it annoying to have to remove my sidearm every time I get in the car. I would prefer to keep my sidearm (an XD .45) on my belt, but holstered and un-chambered, which would require two steps to make the gun ready according to the two step rule, but because the gun is on my person, that puts me in a grey area. Granted getting a CCW would eliminate this grey area, but I am waiting to see the outcome of the legislation being passed in Phoenix that would allow unlicensed CC in all places not requiring a CCW permit. HB 2347 which redefines conceal carry to not needing a CCW if you happen to put a coat over your weapon and HB 2015 & SB 1021 for Constitutional Carry promoted by AzCDL. And would the new legislation, provided it passes, permit me to carry in my vehicle as described above without a CCW? Thanks!
First, the "two steps" rule is NOT law or formal procedure. It won't hold up in court. It's more urban legend than anything.

Second, the language in ARS 13-3102.F was interpteted in 1994 by the Appeals Court to mean your firearm must be visible under oridnary observation outside the vehicle (State v. Adams). The exceptions are a holstered gun in a glove compartment, map pocket (recent law thanks to AzCDL), storage compartment or trunk. Per State v. Adams, wearing a gun on your hip in the car = concealed carry. A gun on the floor = concealed carry. A gun on the seat can be considered concealed carry (it's that "ordinary observation" thing). Fortunately, cops are really great people and are very forgiving in this area. Plus they may just as confused about the law and court decisions as we all are.

Assuming we get Constitutional Carry passed this year, all this nonsense goes away and you can carry on your person or in a vehicle, open or concealed.

Fred

acmariner99

imported post

Fred, whats the status of those laws. I remember another thread that mentioned it was being debated. And thankfully the senators/reps from the district encompassing Yavapai county support the new legislation.

azcdlfred

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
Fred, whats the status of those laws. I remember another thread that mentioned it was being debated. And thankfully the senators/reps from the district encompassing Yavapai county support the new legislation.
We have two simulatenous bills running. One in the House and one in the Senate. You can see what's been happening and what is hot on ourNews page.

SB 1102, the Senate version, was hijacked by an anti-gun amendment yesterday (2/18/10). I urgeeveryone to send the letter that is waiting for you at our Action Center!

The fat lady hasn't sung yet, nor is she tuning up her voice. We have a number of alternatives available to get Constiutional Carry to the Governor this year. However our success or failure depends upon whether gun owners want to get involvedor sit on the sidelines and whine.

Like Edmund Burke said: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Fred

acmariner99

imported post

What else can I do? Ive already sent a very angry email to the 5 idiots who passed the anti-gun amendment. Dont really have the change to get AzCDL membership, but I am willing to go the distance on this one. It is nice to see people get involved in protecting our civil rights.

azcdlfred

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
What else can I do? Ive already sent a very angry email to the 5 idiots who passed the anti-gun amendment. Dont really have the change to get AzCDL membership, but I am willing to go the distance on this one. It is nice to see people get involved in protecting our civil rights.
Sending those letters helps more than you think. Thanks for getting involved!

Fred

brokenbarrel

imported post

Ifollow these bills on my own and send letters far in advance if you tell your kids stop before they do something they might not do it;if you wait and slap their hand after it doesnt change what they've done...

azcdlfred

imported post

Chez wrote:
Thank you Fred for making it so easy to contact our legislators. I've sent in all the email's that you have posted.
Thanks Chez! That software utility is costly but well worth it. Unfortunately, the guywho sets up all the letters (me) now getsto spend a couple of extra hours setting up those letters. It's worth it!

Fred