• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Aquarium

tyguy808

imported post

does anyone know who owns the Seattle Aquarium? Is it city property? It is listed on their website but I'm not sure of I'm reading it right.

Also, is the parks injunction in place yet? Or is it as of midnight tonight?

Bobarino

imported post

it's right on their website under "about us"

The Aquarium is owned and operated by the City of Seattle, Department of Parks and Recreation. The Seattle Aquarium Society, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is the official nonprofit organization for the Seattle Aquarium.

joeroket

imported post

According to the ruling the reversal of the ban started today. You are good. Interestingly though the judge gave them 30 days from Feb 12th to remove the signs so for 25 days there will be signs that mean nothing up in the parks.

heresolong

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
If the Seattle Aquarium Society is the operator of the facility, would that be similar to Safeco? Can the operator of the Seattle Aquarium ban firearms?
According to the website the SAS is "our official non-profit support group". The contact info for the aquarium has an @seattle.gov email address so is a part of the city.

Sorry about the sudden shift to bold. Pasted from the website and cna't get rid of the formatting.

tyguy808

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
If the Seattle Aquarium Society is the operator of the facility, would that be similar to Safeco?  Can the operator of the Seattle Aquarium ban firearms?

I was asking prior to my arrival at the aquarium. I arrived and asked them there. Three different people , including the director of visitor experience, told me that the Aquarium is owned and operated by the City. I also found out that it is about to be taken over by a non-profit.

I'm on my BB now, but, when I get home I'll tell you guys about my day. Including: friction at the aquarium and my visit to waterfront park!

tyguy808

imported post

Oh, where to start.....

My wife and I decided at about noon today to venture out into the world. We were originally just gonna go pop a few out of my son's .22 at Blanchard Mountain. But, decided to continue on down to Seattle and go to the Seattle Aquarium.

We arrived at the aquarium and bought tickets. I asked the guy at the ticket counter who owned the aquarium, he replied that the city owned and operated the aquarium, with a non-profit helping with care of the critters. He also mentioned that the non-profit would be taking full control of the facility sometime this summer.

I liked the guys reply, so, I shed my coat. You shoulda seen his eyes bug outta his head, LOL. I walked away as if nothing unusual had happened.

We walked around for about 15-20 minutes until a young lady came up to me and said "Sir. your concealed weapon is showing, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave!"I asked who owned the Aquarium, shereplied that the City owned it, I told her that she cant ask me to leave because of my gun.I started to tell her that it wasn't concealed. She was being a real BI***. I stayed calm and offered to cover up (I know, I know "WEAK"). She told me that it had already been seen and that I needed to leave.

At this point, I'm getting upset (do you know how much that place costs?). I told her that if she wanted me to leave that she was gonna have to call the cops to have me remove, because I wanted it to be completely documented. She puffs up and tells me that she is security and that she is telling me to leave. I calmly responded, "you're gonna have to call the cops to get me outta here, I'll be walking around enjoying myself until they arrive, they can come find me when they get here" She says asshe's walking away "don't think I'm not calling them".

My wife and I are walking around for another 15-20 minutes..... no cops! A few minutes after that Sue, the Manager of Guest Experience, asks to speak with me. I tell her, "if you're ejecting me, you're gonna have to call the cops" and explained why I wanted the cops involved. She said that she just wanted to talk to me. I agreed and followed her through a door leading away from the crowds. She told me that she knew it was my right, and that there was nothing that she could do about it. But, very nicely, asked me to put my gun in my bag. I told her that I wouldn't (because there was already no room in there because of my other gun), but that I would compromise with her and I would put my coat on. I only did this because she came and asked politely. She gave me her card.

I ran into her again shortly after, after having more time to think, and asked her to have a talk with "Security Girl" because she was rude and bitchy. She told me that she had already sent her home for the day for not handling the situation properly, she was supposed to contact Sue first.

Anyhow, we left there and walked to the Crab Pot for a late lunch..... no trouble there. Then on the way back I spotted a sign at Waterfront Park that sparked my interest, had the wife take a picture of me and my "BABY ARMOR".

So.....good and bad day! Mostly good, got to spend the day with the wife and kid.

tyguy808

imported post

Stupid Photobucket!!!!! I can't make it work!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

SVG help me out here!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
1. I told her that I wouldn't (because there was already no room in there because of my other gun)

2. Crab Pot for a late lunch
1. Har har har!

2. Yummm......the westport FTW!!! *

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sorry so late. Here ya go.

Nofirearms.jpg

BabyArmor.jpg

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What's interesting about the Firearms/Fireworks section of the Waterfront Park sign is SMC 18.12.140 doesn't exist, SMC 33.01.1.2 doesn't exist (in fact, Title 25 is the highest the SMC goes), and SMC 22.600.020 is in the Building and Construction code section, and incorporates the International Fire Codes into the Seattle Fire Codes.

Methinks the sign is waaaaaay out of date.

tyguy808

imported post

ak56 wrote:
What's interesting about the Firearms/Fireworks section of the Waterfront Park sign is SMC 18.12.140 doesn't exist, SMC 33.01.1.2 doesn't exist (in fact, Title 25 is the highest the SMC goes), and SMC 22.600.020 is in the Building and Construction code section, and incorporates the International Fire Codes into the Seattle Fire Codes.

The city believes that of they put numbers and periods after a rule that the sheeple will follow their rules. Just look at the December Bellingham get-together, the bar had quoted 9.41.300 1(d), but allowed minors til 9PM. It still scared Navylt away and he knows the laws.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
ak56 wrote:

The city believes that of they put numbers and periods after a rule that the sheeple will follow their rules. Just look at the December Bellingham get-together, the bar had quoted 9.41.300 1(d), but allowed minors til 9PM. It still scared Navylt away and he knows the laws.
Yeah, numbers and periods lend a false sense of authority, kind of like the words 'Security Guard' on a uniform lends a false sense of security.

heresolong

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
I told her that I wouldn't (because there was already no room in there because of my other gun), but that I would compromise with her and I would put my coat on. I only did this because she came and asked politely.
You see, I wouldn't have put my coat on because I don't see it as a compromise. She gets everything she wants and you have to wear a coat while in a warm indoors environment. It isn't her business to go around bothering patrons who are obeying the law and peacefully watching the fish. Would she have asked a fellow to put a jacket on to cover his tattoos if someone was offended? Probably not.

Since I am not wearing my coat in order to keep from overheating, not in order to flash my gun around. Since the law allows me to OC, I don't see why I should not OC just because someone in a position of power asks me to. I will be here enjoying the aquarium and acting legally. I would be polite, but I would absolutely refuse to put the firearm away. Not criticizing you for covering, just telling what I would have done.

amzbrady

imported post

I've said this in many other threads and will again...

Instead of having open carry meets in resturaunts with owners permission, how about a family day in Seattle, the Aquriam, the Zoo, Public transport, Science center, Seattle center fairgrounds, showing us with our families having a good time as "average citizens".