• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how to handle carry restrictions WITHOUT a vehicle.

scorpio_vette

imported post

so i just had this thought the other day.

i know you can't carry in places like libraries, court house, police stations, etc..etc..etc..

but i live within 1/4-1/2 mile of the library, court house and police station. LOL and i've been going to neighborhood watch meetings recently, and started wondering.

what if i walk to the library for the meeting, or to the court house to pay the water bill, or the police station to get a parking permit or pay a ticket??? obviously i can't leave it in my car since i walked there.

so what do i do???

Lurchiron

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
so i just had this thought the other day.

i know you can't carry in places like libraries, court house, police stations, etc..etc..etc..

but i live within 1/4-1/2 mile of the library, court house and police station. LOL and i've been going to neighborhood watch meetings recently, and started wondering.

what if i walk to the library for the meeting, or to the court house to pay the water bill, or the police station to get a parking permit or pay a ticket??? obviously i can't leave it in my car since i walked there.

so what do i do???

Well you could always ask the first person that walks by, if they'll hold it for you while you run in :lol:; or know what your doing before you leave the house. Only one option guarantee's you'll be in possession of it when you return home.

Hope this helps.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
You have to leave your gun at home Scorpio.

In a perfect world when and if the laws get changed you would be able to carry everywhere, but not now.

well that is just retarded. so now i have to essentially walk WITHOUT a means of self defense just because i don't have a place to store it when i get there??? so even if i got there and placed it unloaded in a case and locked it, i wouldn't be allowed to bring it in right??? what about checking it at the front door and getting it back on your way out???

what if i brought a little briefcase type guncase and a strong steel cable lock, and when i get there i place it in the case and use the cable to lock it to a light pole or something out front??? (ok that's more of a joke that just popped in my head..)

that's kinda some bullshiat if ya ask me.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The law allows you to enter government building with your firearm if you can get the local police chief or sheriff to grant you authorization to do so.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to do that unless you're good buddies or something.

But hey, no harm in asking, right?

scorpio_vette

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
The law allows you to enter government building with your firearm if you can get the local police chief or sheriff to grant you authorization to do so.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to do that unless you're good buddies or something.

so basically i could walk up to the police station for example, and then stand outside the front door and call them on my cell phone and tell them that i'm there to pay a ticket, buy a parking permit, etc..etc..etc.. and that i'm legally open carrying and if i could get permission to enter the building. LOL

actually can you show where that part is written about entering government building with permission??? because perhaps i could use that to carry to my neighborhood watch meetings IF i do manage to get permission.

Lurchiron

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Shotgun wrote:

so basically i could walk up to the police station for example, and then stand outside the front door and call them on my cell phone and tell them that i'm there to pay a ticket, buy a parking permit, etc..etc..etc.. and that i'm legally open carrying and if i could get permission to enter the building. LOL

actually can you show where that part is written about entering government building with permission??? because perhaps i could use that to carry to my neighborhood watch meetings IF i do manage to get permission.
On another tact, you could always hire a valet. That way after you finsh running inside to pay bills, run errands, and other things; you would have someone to walk with AND learn a second language from :dude:.

anmut

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
You have to leave your gun at home Scorpio.

In a perfect world when and if the laws get changed you would be able to carry everywhere, but not now.

well that is just retarded. so now i have to essentially walk WITHOUT a means of self defense just because i don't have a place to store it when i get there??? so even if i got there and placed it unloaded in a case and locked it, i wouldn't be allowed to bring it in right??? what about checking it at the front door and getting it back on your way out???

what if i brought a little briefcase type guncase and a strong steel cable lock, and when i get there i place it in the case and use the cable to lock it to a light pole or something out front??? (ok that's more of a joke that just popped in my head..)

that's kinda some bullshiat if ya ask me.
It's a great question. I believe that we should push on these sort of rulings and tell the lawmakers "Okay, if you're going to make me be unprotected in this sort of environment, then I expect a the STATE to provide a locker area where I can secure my firearm."

They would probably deem it easier and less expensive to just change the law.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
941.235 Carrying firearm in public building. (1) Any
person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or
leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty
of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) This section does not apply to peace officers or armed
forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or
to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city,
village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any
county to possess a firearm in any building
under sub. (1)

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I like the chain it to a pole idea as well. Try it out! Would be pretty funny.

scorpio_vette

imported post

LOL i could so see that being funny, but i could also see them calling the bomb squad and way overreacting. LOL

scorpio_vette

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
When the ethnic yoots realize that it's a free gun, will the gun survive longer than a bicycle chained up on the street.  They go to such lengths as carrying LN2 to shatter high quality chains.

I ride expensive(!) bicycles and tricycles and don't just lock them on the city street.

i hear ya......but cops don't want us to carry because THEY are supposed to protect and serve us right??? so from that point of view, it would be HILARIOUS if it was locked to a pole with a security cable of sorts, and some people tried stealing it from within 5feet of the police stations door.

bigdaddy1

imported post

WAGON.jpg

Put a hinged, locking cover on it and your ready to go!!!

scorpio_vette

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
THEY are supposed to protect and serve us right?
No.  I believe that has been adequately and previously covered here on OCDO if not in the Wisconsin sub-forum.

i know. that was meant sarcastically to go with the rest of the comment.

MKEgal

imported post

This probably won'tbe a popular opinion, but here's what I do:
Ibring it with me.

Unless there's a metal detector, I put it in its case (black fabric,
which could be a bee sting or diabetic kit) and bring it with. Last
night my fiancee groused at me 'causeI brought it into my son's
school for his basketball game.

My answer?Yes, I know it's technically illegal, but I'm not leaving it
in the car to be stolen, I'm not a threat to anyone, and there are
only 3 people here who know what this is, so I'm not scaring anyone.

If the law is stupid, I won't harm anyone, & there's little chance of
getting caught, I ignore the law. Criminals do, too, but they're out to
hurt people.

Put the pistol in your backpack or briefcase, & make sure it's encased
so you don't flash anyone.

-