• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

boat ramps

bwhunter65

imported post

OK I thought I read this once but I can not find were I read it. Is it illegal to have a loaded weapon while using a boat ramp to launch your boat or trailer it? I remember reading that it was illegal but I cant find were I read it maybe some one knows were it is at.
:?

chiefjason

imported post

It is unlawful to possess a loaded firearm.

It is unlawful to:
Leave any vehicle, trailer, boat or other obstruction where it will impede the use of the ramp by others.
Park any vehicles, trailer or boat anywhere on the area other than the designated parking zone. This does not prohibit legal use of the ramp.
Use the area for swimming, camping, operating concessions or for any use other than the launching and recovery of boats and parking of vehicles and boat trailers, except where facilities for a particular use are provided.
Operate any vessel within 50 yards of the ramp at a speed greater than "No Wake" speed.
Possess loaded firearms on the access area.
Operate a vehicle on any boat access area in a manner so as to endanger life or property.
Deposit any debris or refuse anywhere on the grounds of the area.
Fail to obey any instruction or signs regulating use of the access area.
Conduct any special event, such as fishing tournament weigh-in, without first obtaining a letter of authorization from the Division of Engineering Services by calling (919) 707-0150. This permit must be available for inspection by wildlife enforcement officers during the event. See information about weigh-in permits here.
Park in handicapped space without displaying handicapped plate or sign.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_BAA.htm

bwhunter65

imported post

So if I read this right I can carry my gun as long as I am unloaded but once I am on my boat I can lock and load. I have not seen any signs say no weapons were I go fish bit it is a game land area. Looks like I need to read up some more

chiefjason

imported post

bwhunter65 wrote:
So if I read this right I can carry my gun as long as I am unloaded but once I am on my boat I can lock and load. I have not seen any signs say no weapons were I go fish bit it is a game land area. Looks like I need to read up some more

I would think that is accurate. Unloaded OC looks legal, but would definitely push the envelope. I'm sure the duck hunters use the boat ramps, so I would assume that's where the unloaded, instead of no firearms comes from. This is nothing unusual for NCWRC, they don't allow carry on gamelands except during certain hunting seasons. :banghead:

ocgso

imported post

Another ridiculous and absurd law that makes no sense. Why does one have to unload their firearm to put the boat in??

I also wonder if anyone has any history on this law??

Perhaps this is from the old myth that you will drop your gun and it will go off (and could put a hole in some other poor fellows boat, sinking it)......