• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter sent to Sheboygan county sheriff.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

I recieved a ticket today, yeah it sucks. Oh well, I was speeding. Anywho, when the officer was done, I asked him how this county handles open carry. Well, he proceeded to tell me that I may be cited for DO and I may even have weapons drawn on me. So, in response, I sent this to the Sheriff:

Dear Sheriff,
I was just writing to see what your policy with regards to how your officers handle open carry is? I talked to one of your officers today and he told me that they might cite the individual with disorderly and may even draw their sidearms on the person carrying openly. When I say carrying openly, I mean carrying lawfully and peaceably, and your departments actions could be to draw a loaded weapon on the person? Open carry is a legal activity for everyone citizen legally eligible to do so. Also, with regards to citing for DO, I do believe there was a case either in Milwaukee or Madison where this happened, and the judge threw it, for it is not DO to just legally carry a weapon. I just moved to Sheboygan from GB, and I already have carried a few times, I just wanted to hear from you personally about this. Thank you for your time.

SPC Dustin Castro

hardballer

imported post

Good letter Dustin. Keep us informed on the result. The officer who responded to your question is just looking to embroil his county in a lawsuit. If, by now, they are not informed and in compliance with state statutes, they get what they deserve. Once counties are sued and it costs them court costs and cash awards to the plaintiff, things will change in a hurry. Just to bad it has to go that way.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
I recieved a ticket today, yeah it sucks. Oh well, I was speeding. Anywho, when the officer was done, I asked him how this county handles open carry. Well, he proceeded to tell me that I may be cited for DO and I may even have weapons drawn on me.
I always find it funny when LE tries to deter us with crap tactics like that. They seem to think that only they can have guns, y'know,I have a 3 year old son who has that same mentality when he sees other kids with toys that he has.:banghead: LEO's like this need to grow up. Or be put on time out till they learn their lesson:lol:.

Eitherway,I think a Sheboygan Cnty OC event is in order?

protias

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
Dustiniac wrote:
I recieved a ticket today, yeah it sucks. Oh well, I was speeding. Anywho, when the officer was done, I asked him how this county handles open carry. Well, he proceeded to tell me that I may be cited for DO and I may even have weapons drawn on me.
I always find it funny when LE tries to deter us with crap tactics like that. They seem to think that only they can have guns, y'know,I have a 3 year old son who has that same mentality when he sees other kids with toys that he has.:banghead: LEO's like this need to grow up. Or be put on time out till they learn their lesson:lol:.

Eitherway,I think a Sheboygan Cnty OC event is in order?
I agree, but this Sunday isn't going to work for me. :p

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

I totally agree, lets do a Sheboygan OC. There is a Culvers right down the road from me, and its right down the road from where I was pulled over. Maybe this is that officers area. We we could do a walk around here, and either end or begin at Culvers. Or possibly, Gander Mountain, thats also a street over, and we all know they are OC friendly. My number is 9203662666

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Para, Glock34, and I were at the Sheboygan Constitutional Rally earlier this month.

We met a guy who was so sure that we couldn't carry that I have believed he might have been a LEO.

Para and I ended up going to McDonalds in Sheboygan Falls. I was in there for over an hour, even had a LEO come in and walk right past TWICE. No issues.

In the end, we ended up with a founders list member for Wisconsin Carry.

Carry On.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

I was all set to go to that rally, until I saw the big NO FIREARMS ALLOWED SIGN. So I got some food, and went home and watched a movie with the lady.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

I got a reply from the SPD:
Mr. Castro,

Thank you for providing us with that information. The officers of the Sheboygan Police Dept. are familiar with the rights under the Wisconsin constitution that allow for the open carry of a firearm, and strive to ensure that every resident of the City of Sheboygan is allowed to exercise their civil rights within the scope of the law.

The Sheboygan Police Dept. could serve as a resource for you. I would like to invite you to the Police Dept. and speak in person. There are some statutory provisions dealing with open carry that you should be familiar with to ensure you exercise your rights without violating the law.

As a closing note, it would be helpful to have your contact information (D.O.B., Address, Phone No.) so we could create a contact card for you at the Police Dept. This is helpful should you come into contact with officers in the future.

Steve Cobb, Captain of Patrol
Sheboygan Police Department
1315 N. 23rd St.
Sheboygan, WI 53081

(920)459-4268
steve.cobb@ci.sheboygan.wi.us

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Oh, I should note that response was a response when I e-mailed the Sheboygan PD informing them that I would be carrying, on the advice of another member of this forum.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
As a closing note, it would be helpful to have your contact information (D.O.B., Address, Phone No.) so we could create a contact card for you at the Police Dept. This is helpful should you come into contact with officers in the future.
No thanks to that!:what:Then maybe he should askppl to do this if they were oc'n a bible, as some ppl may be affended by freedom of religion?:banghead:

scorpio_vette

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
Mr. Castro,

As a closing note, it would be helpful to have your contact information (D.O.B., Address, Phone No.) so we could create a contact card for you at the Police Dept.   This is helpful should you come into contact with officers in the future.

would you like my social security number, credit card number, bank account numbers to go with that???

i could see if the officer was personally interested in actively helping you, that he might ask for a phone number to reach you at. but ALL YOUR INFO for a "contact card"???

unless he means, so if down the road an officer calls him in as a man with a gun then that information would come up and basically tell them that he's ok and to let him go. but that starts sounding way to much like permit and gun registration.

protias

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Dustiniac wrote:
Mr. Castro,

would you like my social security number, credit card number, bank account numbers to go with that???

i could see if the officer was personally interested in actively helping you, that he might ask for a phone number to reach you at. but ALL YOUR INFO for a "contact card"???

unless he means, so if down the road an officer calls him in as a man with a gun then that information would come up and basically tell them that he's ok and to let him go. but that starts sounding way to much like permit and gun registration.
"Whereas I don't expect police would ask somebody additional questions just because they are openly carrying a firearm, they shouldn't be immune from questions either," he said in a telephone interview. "It tends to lead to more inquisitiveness by law enforcement, and that's where their discretion has to enter into it."

www.doj.state.wi.us/news/files/FinalOpenCarryMemo.pdf

anmut

imported post

Well I must say that at least he recognizes the right. Too bad he wants to sit in your back pocket when you carry.

AaronS

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
Yeah, I'm not going to show up. This guy also does not understand what Shall not be infringed means.

I do agree with your feelings, but it never hurts to have the cops "on your side".

The name, address, and DOB is a bit to much for me, but I would think about the face to face invite if I were you. Let them know how you feel.

scorpio_vette

imported post

definitely doesn't hurt to contact face to face.

i have started making a contact here in the cudahy police department, and he seems pretty open minded and accepting of OC, but has some different opinions. Him and me now e-mail each other and talk, and when i e-mail him questions, he generally answers them very knowledgeable with documentation reference, or tells me he has to research it further. even gone as far as saying that if i bring him something to complicated he would contact the DA about it to try his best to get me the correct answer.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
Yeah, I'm not going to show up. This guy also does not understand what Shall not be infringed means.
I am not saying not to have contact, I have contacts with the Sheriff, DA, and Local Police forces in my area.

What you need to remember is that they are not nor will they ever be your friend. They are LEO first. So a small confession to a friend is usually harmless, to a LEO it can be life changing.