• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richard and SVG Multiple LEO encounters

sudden valley gunner

imported post

HaHaHa tricked ya it was a non issue. Several LEO came in and left and said nothing.

Two Sheriff deputies one from Whatcom and one from Skagit came in and sat right next to Richard and I. They had no problem with us we even had a friendly discussion about f Sheriff Elfo, whom I am a fan of, a very constitutional Sheriff, about SAR, ride alongs etc. ( I even heard reports that our Sheriff stopped the Feds from overstepping their boundaries, this is of course second hand knowledge).

I had my camera on my blackberry phone and was going to take a picture but they said they prefer not too, and even though legally they can't stop us (the deputy acknowledged this), I felt that it would have been rude, especially since they were not engaged in confronting us, not to respect their wishes.

Kudos again for Whatcom County Sheriff's department.

While Richard and I were talking some other gentlemen, started asking us about open carry and they were very supportive and even thanked us for making him feel safer and for engaging in our right to carry. Richard was able to give them a few brochures and they were grateful for those and loved the cites and the references.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Bookman wrote:
That's the way it SHOULD be.
I have gotten so used to openly carrying that I don't post much about my encounters because the majority of them with the everyday folk and LEO (not that they aren't every day folk either) are positive or non issues much like this.

I even thought about getting a shirt made that said go ahead and ask me about your rights I know you want to. Because I know some people want to talk to me but then don't want to be a bother.

Batousaii

imported post

Thank you for the positive stories - it helps many of us who are still part time OC to get closer to full time OC. it is encouraging and helpful.

- I am much much closer to full oc than before myself. I cover the hilt of my sixgun mostly due to rainy season (still looking for a Stainless Vaquero too). You can see the big fat western holster sticking out the bottom of my jacket, but it's still 1/2 C-OC (Casual Carry?) Onthose good sunny days I full oc with my old school rig... it's a beautiful leather set, old fashioned and rustic, and i'd love to simply live in it... but I dont like my gun getting wet.

;)Bat.

Ajetpilot

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I even thought about getting a shirt made that said go ahead and ask me about your rights I know you want to. Because I know some people want to talk to me but then don't want to be a bother.
Great idea. I wonder where I can get some pin-on buttons made with similar language. Guess I've found my project for the day...

Nebulis01

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
Thank you for the positive stories - it helps many of us who are still part time OC to get closer to full time OC. it is encouraging and helpful.

- I am much much closer to full oc than before myself. I cover the hilt of my sixgun mostly due to rainy season (still looking for a Stainless Vaquero too). You can see the big fat western holster sticking out the bottom of my jacket, but it's still 1/2 C-OC (Casual Carry?) Onthose good sunny days I full oc with my old school rig... it's a beautiful leather set, old fashioned and rustic, and i'd love to simply live in it... but I dont like my gun getting wet.

;)Bat.
It would be the smell of wet leather and the potential damage to it that would bug me on a setup like that :)

Agent 47

imported post

Yeah we get so used to non issue days that I hardly ever post them either. but yesterday I went to the snohomish county courthouse to renew my CPL I walked in OC and CC checked both guns spent a couple minutes talking to the duty deputy about guns as he filled out my receipt. I went upstairs filed the paperwork came back down re-holstered my guns and left. No issues whatsoever. I then rode over to Starbucks and got a cup of coffee before heading home just a typical day.

Richard6218

imported post

Hey, SVG, just saw this thread, now 24 hours later:cool:

I really get a kick out of educating people, especially ones who are receptive to the message. The first two guys started by asking about our guns and SVG opened that door with some basics on RCW. I went out to my car and came back with a couple of our brochures, and they were most interested. After they left, two sheriff's deputies sat at the same table, one from Whatcom and the other from Skagit County. As we were leaving, we struck up a very friendly conversation with them mostly about any subject but guns.

Starbucks is a great place to meet just about anyone :)

phoneguy

imported post

Batousaii wrote:

- I am much much closer to full oc than before myself. I cover the hilt of my sixgun mostly due to rainy season (still looking for a Stainless Vaquero too). You can see the big fat western holster sticking out the bottom of my jacket, but it's still 1/2 C-OC (Casual Carry?) On those good sunny days I full oc with my old school rig... it's a beautiful leather set, old fashioned and rustic, and i'd love to simply live in it... but I dont like my gun getting wet.

;) Bat.
I also have an old Ruger 6 gun in an old looking holster with cartage belt. In fact I got the holster new from Larry
The rig is really nice it looks like its at least 150 years old. I am afraid of getting it wet also.

Squeak

imported post

phone guy wrote:
I also have an old Ruger 6 gun in an old looking holster with cartage belt. In fact I got the holster new from Larry
The rig is really nice it looks like its at least 150 years old. I am afraid of getting it wet also.
Just wipe the rain off. Ya can't hurt it. Just don't wear it when you take a bath!:lol:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hey Richard just saw your post.

The cool thing is they weren't the only LEO that came in. And we had many Paramedics, Firemen and other public servants wondering in and out and about.
I just remembered I had taken video when the two deputies first arrive but I am not going to post it, for the reasons mentioned in the OP.