• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC--are they active?

Dreamer

imported post

I've been trying to contact the folks at GRNC to maybe volunteer in my area, and after two or three emails, I've heard nothing back. I was wondering if this group is more active on other areas of the state, because they don't seem to have much of a presence out here in the north-eastern part of NC...

Wen I first found out about GRNC, I was expecting to find a group something like VCDL in Virginia, but instead I've only seen a website that is about a year out of date, little (if any) presence at gun shows, no presence whatsoever here on OCDO, and only vague rumors that they actually do things occasionally in Raleigh.

Does anyone know who I can contact to try and get something going on out here, or to try and volunteer maybe in other parts of the state?

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I've been trying to contact the folks at GRNC to maybe volunteer in my area, and after two or three emails, I've heard nothing back. I was wondering if this group is more active on other areas of the state, because they don't seem to have much of a presence out here in the north-eastern part of NC...

Wen I first found out about GRNC, I was expecting to find a group something like VCDL in Virginia, but instead I've only seen a website that is about a year out of date, little (if any) presence at gun shows, no presence whatsoever here on OCDO, and only vague rumors that they actually do things occasionally in Raleigh.

Does anyone know who I can contact to try and get something going on out here, or to try and volunteer maybe in other parts of the state?
I was depressed to find that NC does not have a really active group. I guess I am spoiled by the VCDL. I just dont understand why NC does not have a strong voice for self defense.

West Virginia started a group modeled on the successful VCDL as have several other states, perhaps NC should do the same. Assuming it is not just a case of apathy.

buzzsaw

imported post

I have encountered their tables at gun shows in various parts of the state but the only activity going on at those tables that I have observed is member recruitment. According to the emails I get from them that it their primary activity. The only other evidence I see of them as an organization is the immediate forwarding of GOA alerts within a day or so of when I get them from GOA. Oops, forgot the occasional publication of ratings of the behavior of various politicians, to their credit they call that one as it is instead of following blindly behind the almighty NRA.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I stopped by their table at the Greensboro Gun & Knife Show a couple weeks ago & paid my membership dues, but I have yet to receive any kind of correspondance from them via email or snail mail. After I got home I noticed that some of the handouts that they had given me were somewhat old, like a newsletter from nearly a year ago (???).

Based on some of the stuff I've read here @ OCDO I'm starting to wonder if my $25 would have been better spent on another box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo :?

Adam H

imported post

Yeah, that group (NCRPA) sounds like a real good group. They're real supportive of OC. Take a look at what they have to say on the matter.

Q: I don't want to get a Concealed Handgun Permit; I just want to carry a gun openly in a holster. Is this legal?
A: In North Carolina there is no State law specifically prohibiting the open carry of firearms. Under the theory that if it isn't specifically prohibited it's not illegal, open carry is possible. There are some glaring exceptions to this. They are:
  1. Private property owners and businesses can post "no guns."
  2. Firearms are strictly prohibited on state-owned property, except rest areas and state lands where hunting is permitted.
  3. Local governments can (and do) enact prohibitions against "display of firearms" in cities and/or specific areas within cities or counties, which means they can't be visible. Under this statute there is absolutely no requirement for the city or county to post notice of the display ban.
  4. Local governments can (and do) enact firearms bans on local government property and in parks and recreational areas.
  5. Any federally-owned property or federally-regulated property like banks and Post Offices is of course a prohibited area.
  6. Much of the Outer Banks is "National Seashore," and firearms are prohibited in those areas.
So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.

Q: So is open carry legal in NC?
A: In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested.

They completely ignored the case law upholding the right to OC (State v Huntley and State v Kerner) and spewed out their own worthless opinion of "it's technically legal but you'll only get arrested if you do it."

Dreamer

imported post

Yeah, that's essentially the same thing they say on the FAQ on the GRNC site. I wonder where both these groups got that information?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Adam H wrote:
Q: So is open carry legal in NC?
A: In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested.

They completely ignored the case law upholding the right to OC (State v Huntley and State v Kerner) and spewed out their own worthless opinion of "it's technically legal but you'll only get arrested if you do it."

Well, this can also be taken as a warning. Depending on the method of oC, one may get arrested. I tell people, the police may charge and arrest you for just about anything, how it holds up in front of a magistrate or other judge in court or if it goes to full trial is another matter.

I am sure pepole are still being arrested for openly carrying a firearm in areas where it is not prohibited and charged with GAttTotP. And it is probably based on how the person was openly carrying. Remember kwikrnu and his Draco AK-47 pistol? I truly believe, in a place like Greensboro, NC, if you are seen with that, you will probably be arrested, whether the arrest was justifiable or not, you will probably be arrested and charged.....