• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying customers deter armed robbery in Kennesaw, GA Wafflehouse

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw
There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearinghandguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Lthrnck

imported post

Nope... Sorry ... This can't be true.

These guys were suppose to be the first ones shot and killed. They were in that Waffle House parading around with their guns on their hips. The bad guys are suppose to come in and shoot them.

<Sarcasm off>

Hmm.... bad guy see's two good guys with guns and leaves...tell's other bad guys about it, who are armed and what do they do.... NOTHING... they were waiting for the good guys to leave.

So the bad guy doesn't want to mess with law abiding , armed citizens. Several bad guys don't want to either.

Hmm.. how can that be.. :celebrate:celebrate

Slugslinger

imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Why can't that happen where I eat breakfast? Oh....that's right....Michigan don't have Waffle Houses! YOU SUCK MICHIGAN! Get a Waffle House and a Sonic Please!What you think your Great Lakes, Beautiful Woodlands, and endless coastline is enough?Oh ...wait.... it IS enough.

Hey, WTF are that many BG's doing tryin' to rob ONE WH? Were they gonna split the waffles 8 ways?

I'm so happy this happened I'm babbling like a moron! WTG Matt and JP! And pay attention here Georgia (that means you Boss Hogg)! Them Duke boy's gotta be gettin old. People need to start packin' !

How many rednecks does it take to hold up a Waffle House? Two car loads if there are no armed guys inside! (then it would be too heavy dude)

:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey
I rike those dancin' monkeys

peace be with u and be with your peace!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ComradeV wrote:
I have openly carried in Waffle House on multiple occasions. and No onerobbed the place then either.
Oh yeah! Well I open carried to close to a school and there wasn't a school shooting! I think I have you beat!

MSgt G

imported post

I wonder if this would also apply at the college in Alabama where the shooting occured recently?? How about other "Gun Free" zones?

Match10

imported post

Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go. This is the Waffle House two hundred yards from the Publix where Cobb County's finest did a tier two stop and handcuffed and searched meon May 13th last year for open carrying. The same Captain Quan is the one with whom I discussed the Cobb Police's policies.

Priest

imported post

Match10 wrote:
Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go. This is the Waffle House two hundred yards from the Publix where Cobb County's finest did a tier two stop and handcuffed and searched meon May 13th last year for open carrying. The same Captain Quan is the one with whom I discussed the Cobb Police's policies.

Man it is nice to see you around somewhere.... Some of us do miss you over at the old place.

Capt Quan referenced your issue as his example of the negative side of OC right before telling me the story about the positive side, which turned out to be this one. I was very glad to get to have the discussion with him. I also feel that your issue with his department was a big wake up call to START making some changes. When I followed up with him about his officer not knowing we could OC, he was very receptive to the conversation and spent a long time on the phone with me.

I still think you should come back now and again, and I am still up for that walk down Bells Ferry.

Match10

imported post

Thanks... I just refuse to be condescended to (Which means to be talked down to).....

So, you think that Capt Quan has tempered his officers' barbaric treatment of MWAG calls? (A completely legal carrier of a holstered gun while buying your newspaper?)I still get the impression that he is unyeilding in the CCPD response. He may feel that it is a waste of resoucres, merely because it does not produce any illegal weapon and person to arrest.

I never got the chance to utter, "Am I Free To Go?"

BTW... Should you want to review the reports and the audio files, I have them available on my server and can give you access.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Vegassteve

imported post

I emailed what I thought was the correct department to see if this is true. Here is the reply I just got back.

RE: Can you confirm this story?
Friday, February 19, 2010 4:06 AM
From: "Doug Burel" Add sender to ContactsTo: "XXXXXX@yahoo.com>

No, I can’t confirm it because that location is actually the jurisdiction of the Cobb Police. The Captain they cite in the story, Captain Quan, is indeed a captain at Cobb Police Zone 1 so the story is probably legitimate. You can call them at 770-499-4181.

Priest

imported post

Following this on the tons of boards that it has been linked to I have found a lot of people that are contacting Pct1 and Waffle House Corporate. While I love that people don't just trust what they read. Capt Quan and the folks at WaHo central are probably getting pretty freaking tired of it already.

I do hope that all the contact to Waffle House Corp does not have them send someone down to the store to "discipline" the manager or the waitress over this.

Match:
I do feel that Cobb... at least precinct one, is slowly working on coming around. I know they were in the wrong with you. WAY in the wrong! But you also are pretty much the first person who actually took the fight back to their front door to make them look at what the law says. I have had multiple non-encounters in that area since your issue. After talking with the Captain myself... His words were that he personally prefers citizens to conceal so that his office does not get calls like yours, but he would NEVER tell someone or advocate his officers telling someone they had to conceal, and he would NEVER advocate a felony stop on any person who was open carrying without them having actually done something else.

You rocked the boat, my contact will hopefully push it a little further.... as the Sheriff put it, Cobb PD is like an oil tanker, if it is going in the wrong direction it takes a lot of time and effort to turn it around. Yes they were wrong, but I do feel they will be put in line if EVERY lawfully armed citizen makes the effort to make contact when something out of line happens.