Thread: Shotgun Advice

Post imported post

Looking to get a decent shotgun. I want it for my own fun target use but I also want it so that when I am not home, my wife has something more dummy proof and intimidating for home defense.

Recommendations?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg. They even make one that's called the "Home Security" model that comes in a 410 - light, easy to use, and low risk of wall penetration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossber...security_model

I personally like the Mossberg 500 in 12 guage and have one cocked & locked right by my bed.

Post imported post

The Remington 870 is a very good choice for a home defense shotgun, especially the 18" barreled one. However, I would suggest purchasing a quality AR and getting trained on how to use it. Lighter, smaller,less recoil, more accurateand far superior ballistics. Many people have misconceptions on shotguns for HD use and base their beliefs on gun shop rumors, movies & TV.

Post imported post

My opinion is go with a .410 pump, short barrel. Just the thing for home defense. I like the Mossbergs as well. Have owned a 500 for over 35 years and it has seen a lot of use and still going strong.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Post imported post

Target use = 26" barrel or longer; Home use = 18" barrel. You can hide in your bedroom with a 26" barrel pointed at the doorway but it's not something to go play house-clearing ninja with.

Gas operated autos (e.g., Rem 1100, 1187) have much less recoil than manual actions. Youth models might fit your wife better. With pumps, smaller women don't have the reach to fully work the action.

Front bead or twin bead are fine. Rifle sights or ghost rings are overkill and will detract from the fun (clay targets).

12 ga has the versatility: light target loads for practice andfor fun, Federal copper plated 00B and low recoil slugs for defense

Post imported post

I have the mossberg defender. 18 1/2" barrel. Holds 7 in the tube. I don't keep one chambered for the whole "rack the slide intimidation" factor. I also installed the tactical stock on it. With that stock you can shorten it for your wife to make it easier for her to shoot.

Federal makes a low recoil tactical 00 shell. They are supposed to keep the shot from spreading from the short barrels.

EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!