• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun Advice

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Looking to get a decent shotgun. I want it for my own fun target use but I also want it so that when I am not home, my wife has something more dummy proof and intimidating for home defense.

Recommendations?

irish

imported post

The Remington 870 is a very good choice for a home defense shotgun, especially the 18" barreled one. However, I would suggest purchasing a quality AR and getting trained on how to use it. Lighter, smaller,less recoil, more accurateand far superior ballistics. Many people have misconceptions on shotguns for HD use and base their beliefs on gun shop rumors, movies & TV.

The Big Guy

imported post

My opinion is go with a .410 pump, short barrel. Just the thing for home defense. I like the Mossbergs as well. Have owned a 500 for over 35 years and it has seen a lot of use and still going strong.

Yard Sale

imported post

Target use = 26" barrel or longer; Home use = 18" barrel. You can hide in your bedroom with a 26" barrel pointed at the doorway but it's not something to go play house-clearing ninja with.

Gas operated autos (e.g., Rem 1100, 1187) have much less recoil than manual actions. Youth models might fit your wife better. With pumps, smaller women don't have the reach to fully work the action.

Front bead or twin bead are fine. Rifle sights or ghost rings are overkill and will detract from the fun (clay targets).

12 ga has the versatility: light target loads for practice andfor fun, Federal copper plated 00B and low recoil slugs for defense

Sabotage70

imported post

I have the mossberg defender. 18 1/2" barrel. Holds 7 in the tube. I don't keep one chambered for the whole "rack the slide intimidation" factor. I also installed the tactical stock on it. With that stock you can shorten it for your wife to make it easier for her to shoot.

Federal makes a low recoil tactical 00 shell. They are supposed to keep the shot from spreading from the short barrels.

IMG_0318.jpg