• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in National Park

matthollycart

imported post

I just read this article here http://www.ohio.com/news/84546467.html

regarding carrying a gun in a national park. This applies here in Ohio to Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

When this bill was originally signed, I didn't pay much attention to the effective date (I am pretty new to even getting involved in politics/laws, etc. So I open carried in the park. They called the entire squad on me like I was a killer on a rampage.

In the end I got away with just a warning and a small fine for a petty charge.

My concern now though is from what I encounted with the woman federal officer. She was extremely anti-gun (for citizens anyway). She said "we don't need you having guns in MY park". She also said that even when the new law goes into effect, that open carry would be prohibited. From reading this article above, it says that Ohio laws are what matter, and that Open Carry is legal (as long as you have a CCW permit--which is stupid, but anyway).

I am concerned that this federal officer will try to enforce against open carry. After my experience I really never want to go back to a national park again and might not. This "officer" may try to enforce against open carry if she is still ignorant about the law, or stubborn against us.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

matthollycart wrote:
From reading this article above, it says that Ohio laws are what matter, and that Open Carry is legal (as long as you have a CCW permit--which is stupid, but anyway).
Where does the article say that???????

joejoe0621

imported post

The only proviso: Those carrying concealed weapons in the 33,000-acre federal park between Akron and Cleveland must have an Ohio permit to carry a concealed weapon. <-----

Does not mean you need a ccw to open carry just that you need one to conceal carry

matthollycart

imported post

I don't know if I would trust any news website to accurately report what the law is. I know that that #%$@% woman cop told me that open carry would be illegal. Not that she is right, but she will be the one there trying to enforce what she thinks is law. I prefer to open carry so I don't know if I will show up at this park until I know I won't be harassed by this woman.

boredstudent

imported post

matthollycart wrote:
I don't know if I would trust any news website to accurately report what the law is. I know that that #%$@% woman cop told me that open carry would be illegal. Not that she is right, but she will be the one there trying to enforce what she thinks is law. I prefer to open carry so I don't know if I will show up at this park until I know I won't be harassed by this woman.
As everyone always says on this style forum, ignorance to the law is no excuse, and definitely a smart move on your part to make sure your 100% legal. Also, when you do find the answer it couldn't hurt to have the specific law # handy so she could look it up. Nothing more aggravating then being stopped for breaking what isn't a law. Said it before will say it again, ignorance of the laws is no excuse for a citizen, only for those who actually uphold the law.

I once got stopped for running a YELLOW LIGHT, mind you it went YELLOW when I was doing 35mph and ill be generous saying I was a car length from the intersection and no way would I have been able to stop unless I slammed the brakes (and the light still would have been yellow). Short version female campus LEO (ours have guns) pulls me over off campus for my stunt. told me to quit being smart when I said that I saw her there and if it was at all illegal to run a yellow light I wouldn't have done it in front of cops when asked if I knew why I was being stopped.

Not all female LEOs are bad, but this is the one that makes them all look bad. This is one of 3 occasions I know of that she has been misinformed or tried over stepping boundaries.

theqbn

imported post

The last two female officers I had interaction with were very polite and professional - but those were speeding stops, not OC stops. The Greene County sheriff's deputy who gave me my 25-over ticket was extremely nice, even though she technically could have arrested me for reckless op. It's a shame that I didn't get to thank her.

Oh, and never go more than 24 over the speed limit, regardless of how stupid the speed limit is.

JSlack7851

imported post

Matt, where was your voice recorder?

Its not going to matter what the law is, what it says in the bill of rights, weather or not the restaurant bill is passed. Until somebody holds LEO accountable for their actions, abuse is going to happen. I read just as many stories about good cops as I do bad cops, but the bad cop stories are usually way over the top. Up to and including the Phoenix PD shooting a homeowner 5 times. Wait till the MWAG calls start coming in about printing (or a inadvertent peeks) in bars and restaurants. Everybody's work and time is all going to be for naught if LEO don't go along with it, just like they don't care for Open Carry.

matthollycart

imported post

Jeff,

I did have my voice recorder. I have it all recorded. But the problem was, I was (then) breaking the law because the carry in National Parks had no gone into effect (In reality I was not breaking any Constitutional Law, but their corrupt law). The officer told me that when the law does go into effect, open carry will be illegal.

JSlack7851

imported post

I think she just tried to rattle you. She would of wasted both of your times by citing you for OC. The law was due to be changed and your arrest and imprisonment would of all been for naught. I doubt a prosecutor would even set a arranment date. She got you for all she could.... I'm sure you did good under the circumstances. IMO and IANAL (disclaimers)

matthollycart

imported post

Now that I think about it, this woman was particularly evil. She even told me that my CCW License was not valid, and that I was supposed to call the Sheriff's office and let them know. I called the Sheriff's office and she told me that she has no idea what that officer is talking about; that I am in the data base for sure and I have a valid CCW.

She offered to have me come down to the office to verify in person (if I was concerned). As I pondered this, I thought it would not be such a good idea, so I didn't go. Probably some kind of set up trap to get me to go into more detail with the Sheriff about what happened.

Thundar

imported post

Sounds like there needs to be an open carry litter pick up or picnic in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Live Free or Die,

Thundar

P.S. Tell Ms. Freedom Hater thatthat is America'spark, not her park.

JSlack7851

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Sounds like there needs to be an open carry litter pick up or picnic in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

P.S. Tell Ms. Freedom Hater thatthat is America'spark, not her park.

I don't know there would be a lot of litter, but walking around with garbage bags, armed might make a point. Matt, its your party. Sounds like you got 2 behind you. 8 more and we might get a couple of motorcycle cops to walk with us...... hehe

If a walk is not in the cards, one might make a CD of that Ranger claiming the park is hers and go talk to her bosses for their opinion.

Just FYI, Put In Bay has a National Park too, Perry's Monument..

matthollycart

imported post

Sounds good to me. Our 6th child is on the way soon. But Spring time would likely be perfect (with the weather too). Count me in.

Jeff, I didn't know that there was a National Park at Put in Bay. Thanks for the information.