• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local case gets referenced in new D.C. gun case

gluegun

imported post

I didn't see this already posted, so I thought I'd offer it.

For those not aware, Alan Gura (of Heller and McDonald fame) is working on the right to bear arms in D.C. with a new lawsuit. Background on the case is below.

The part I want to bring up is in D.C.'s response to Gura's oral arguments:
Plaintiffs notified the Court of Peruta v. County of San Diego, ___ F.Supp.2d ___, 2010 WL 143762 (S.D. Cal. Jan. 14, 2010). In that case, the government denied the plaintiff’s application for a concealed-weapon permit, finding that he did not have “good cause” and was not a resident of San Diego, both requirements under the challenged law. Id., slip op. at 2 (citing CAL. PENAL CODE § 12050). Plaintiff sued the County and the Sheriff individually, alleging violations of the Second Amendment, equal protection, and the right to travel. Id. at 3.
D.C.'s response to oral arguments (linked below)
Gura's reply to D.C.'s unauthorized supplemental

ET Correct: Apparently D.C.'s supplemental was in response to the oral arguments that took place in January and that they were apparently unhappy with.

ETC: I keep forgetting how to spell McDonald.

Background on this case:
It's basically a lawsuit against D.C. for refusing to allow both D.C. residents and non-D.C. residents to carry within the limits of D.C. This, as with previous Alan Gura cases, would have wide-reaching impact. At this stage it's in US District Court, but could easily follow the same path the Heller case did.

The case seems to be doing two things. First, specifically call out and affirm the right of residents to "bear" arms. Second, prohibit the Federal Gov't from denying the rights of individuals who visit DC, but do not live there, under the Equal Protection clause.

If this case, and the subsequent one that would undoubtedly seek to incorporate the right to "bear" arms, goes through the Supreme Court in our favor, no state would be allowed to deny the carrying of a firearm to any citizen of the US. There would of course be those prohibited persons who could be denied that right, but there would have to be a non-arbitrary process by which each non-prohibited person is able to exercise their right to keep and bear arms throughout the entire country.

Complaint filed by Alan Gura - Aug. 6, 2009
Motion for Summary Judgement filed by Alan Gura - Aug. 26, 2009
Gun Owners' Next Victory in D.C. by Robert Levy - Sept. 1, 2009

hoffmang

imported post

The Peruta case had, shall we say, borrowed liberally from Mr. Gura's Sykes case in Sacramento, so the win on the motion to dismiss is a win on the theories and pleadings Mr. Gura is litigating both in Sacramento and DC.

-Gene

coolusername2007

imported post

hoffmang wrote:
The Peruta case had, shall we say, borrowed liberally from Mr. Gura's Sykes case in Sacramento, so the win on the motion to dismiss is a win on the theories and pleadings Mr. Gura is litigating both in Sacramento and DC.

-Gene

So.... :?

Seems to me that's a good thing. Way to go Gura for articulating an argument that finally works. Way to go Ed for being smart enough to build upon a well laid, strong foundation to further the cause.

wewd

imported post

hoffmang wrote:

-Gene

Did somebody forget to kiss your ring or something? Not enough genuflecting? You never fail to post this in any thread to do with the Peruta case. We get it.

When another attorney copies portions of your brief, it is probably because you did something right, and is generally considered complimentary.

Ed is personally funding his own case, for the benefit of us all. His case is taking several different attack angles that Sykes is not, so I don't consider it a copycat case, and it deserves its day in court every bit as much as the others. And it can never hurt to have a "back up plan" should any of the other "bear" cases fail in some way. Whether it be his case, or Sykes, or some other case that restores us our rights in this state, it is the endgame that we are after, and I personally don't care how we win, so long as we do win.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

hoffmang wrote:

-Gene
I'm pretty sure that not all lawyers, plaintiffs, defendants and activists are in it for the glory and credit.

hoffmang

imported post

I'm curious why everyone is so defensive. I stated facts that it shouldn't be surprising that Mr. Gura filed the ruling in Peruta in his case in D.C.

I guess everyone here likes making Alan Gura's life harder? It's not like he actually resurrected the Federal right to arms or anything...

-Gene

heliopolissolutions

imported post

hoffmang wrote:
I'm curious why everyone is so defensive. I stated facts that it shouldn't be surprising that Mr. Gura filed the ruling in Peruta in his case in D.C.

I guess everyone here likes making Alan Gura's life harder? It's not like he actually resurrected the Federal right to arms or anything...

-Gene

I don't really think anyone here intends to detract from Mr. Gura's accomplishments...

Nor can I see how we are making his life any more challenging; seems like anything I could hope to do would be smallpotatoes next to staring down the men in black.

Edward Peruta

imported post

hoffmang wrote:

-Gene

This information is also posted in another area on a different topic so please understand my reasons for posting it here.

I support what Calguns and the Second Amendment Foundation is doing together with the work of Attorney Alan Gura.

Gene and I did talk prior to my filing the Federal case and I also had discussions with Attorney Jason Davis. But please remember that I began the CCW process in November of 2008 a full six months prior to Sykes being filed.

The fact that I recorded my first official/initial CCW interview and began to document what was happening is evidence that I knew where my situation was headed. I can also state without any doubt or hesitationthat myaudio recording and documents created by Sheriff's Department staff make it quite clear that they knew I was prepared to litigate the issues. These documents can beviewed and accessed at http://www.cagunrights.com.

What the Sheriff's Departmentmay have thought was I didn't have the financial or legal resources to follow though. Government agencies are often told by citizens that they will sue and have relied upon the fact that most never do.

I made phone calls and did research to find an attorney willing to take my case and paid the amount to do so without any questions or haggling over the amount. I called several attorneys in California some of which are very well known here and on Calguns.

So, for the record, I did in fact discuss what my issues were,my beliefs and what I wanted to do. I may even have told Gene Hoffman and Jason Davis that my case was basically a case of equal protection.

My belief hinged on the fact that thein California the CCW is a state license which was and is easier to obtain by individuals residing in some California counties over others.

I believe that NO California resident regardless of their county of residence should be denied the right to have their "GOOD CAUSE" statements considered on an equal basis.

In other words if someone in a CCW friendly county is successful in obtaining a STATE CCW by offering similar or exact good cause reasons, I should be entitled to a CCW also.

Did my attorney obtain, read and copy sections of thecomplaint in the Sykescase which were drafted by Attorney Alan Gura? I'm now sure he may have.

What is importantare the facts,evidence and specifics to my situation.

I could care less if the Calguns Foundation or members of their board find fault in what has happened. I am still, and will remain open to any constructive discussions regardless of their positions or emotions regarding how I got where I am.

The CalgunsFoundation, The Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA havevery well plannedlegal strategies andmay,(based on the current facts), be very successful in what they are planning, but they shouldunderstand that they are not the only playersin the fight to win the right to self defense.

I have never had the opportunity to meet Gene Hoffman, Jason Davis or any of their board members personally and may neverbe able to earn their respect.

I did in fact travel up to the UCLA School of lawthe other day to attend and listen to theMOOT COURT and specifically made it a point to introduce myself to Attorney Alan Gura after it was over.

During our extremely brief meeting, I introduced myself, offered my apology for any emotional distress or hard feeling my filing in San Diego may have caused him and then walked away to return to San Diego.

I hope this posting clearsup some of theissues and allowseveryone to concentrate on the current legal issues rather than who did what and who should get the credit.

FOR THE RECORD:

IF IOBTAIN A CCW OR SUCCEED IN THE CURRENT FEDERAL LITIGATION I WILL MAKE IT A POINT TO:

1. THANK MY ATTORNEY FOR TAKING MY CASE AND REPRESENTING ME WHEN THECALGUNS FOUNDATION WOULD NOT.

2. AND SPECIFICALLY THANK ATTORNEY ALAN GURA FOR HIS EXPERT WRITING IN THESYKES COMPLAINT.

NightOwl

imported post

hoffmang wrote:

-Gene

I'm sure we're all on the same side here, making Alan Gura's life harder is the reason we wake up in the morning. Right folks?

Seriously though, mostly (and just speaking for myself) just tired of the incessant bitching about 'omg he filed and wah wah wah'. It's like a Peruta thread should come with a box of tissues for calguns, or something. (Not all calguns, just the complaining individuals-the point has been made, got it, let's move on, the case is still going forward and no point in crying over spilt milk...in yet another thread, for another week)

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:

I did in fact travel up to the UCLA School of lawthe other day to attend and listen to theMOOT COURT and specifically made it a point to introduce myself to Attorney Alan Gura after it was over.

During our extremely brief meeting, I introduced myself, offered my apology for any emotional distress or hard feeling my filing in San Diego may have caused him and then walked away to return to San Diego.
I didn't know you went up and met him, thats pretty exciting; cool beans.

coolusername2007

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Edward Peruta wrote:

I didn't know you went up and met him, thats pretty exciting; cool beans.

Why not spend a little more time to chat? That is assuming he had the time and was willing. Does he have hard feelings? Or is it just CGF that's belly-aching? Not that it matters, just curious.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Oh, lets not fixate on that nonsense anymore than we absolutely have to, you know how those lectures are, in and out.

coolusername2007

imported post

hoffmang wrote:

-Gene
You can't be serious.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
hoffmang wrote:

-Gene
You can't be serious.

FFS, this is going to go retarded pretty quick.

I know its hard, but biting ones tounge can often be the better part of argument.

coolusername2007

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
hoffmang wrote:

-Gene
You can't be serious.

I know its hard, but biting ones tounge can often be the better part of argument.
You're right...proceeding to bite one's tongue. Oh wait, does it have to be mine? :cool:

heliopolissolutions

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
hoffmang wrote:

-Gene
You can't be serious.

You're right...proceeding to bite one's tongue. Oh wait, does it have to be mine? :cool:
Nope!

dapster

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
I have never had the opportunity to meet Gene Hoffman, Jason Davis or any of their board members personally and may neverbe able to earn their respect.
Why at this point especially with regard to Gene Hoffman would you necessarily want to? Upon some reflection you might conclude that what matters more is how you regard them, not how they regard you.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:

Be careful, I hear people get slap-chopped for that sort of thing.

Picture_28_01.png