• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Deters Armed Robbery in Kennesaw

moga

imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

moga wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.
Guess OC is a good thing lol ! so much for the pundits

irish

imported post

Great news!!!

Twocustomers displaying holstered pistols deterredan armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouserecently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearinghandguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkwayat I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scoutfor an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers where parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scoutsaw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile,conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticedsuspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminalsinformed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lotjust as Matt and J.P. weredriving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would haveoccurred before thepoliceintervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located,confirmed Matt Brannan's story asone in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armedrobbery crew.

Matt Brannanis making an Open RecordsAct request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.

rmodel65

imported post

shouldnt quote the entire article so the author gets credit by people visit his page ;)

irish

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
shouldnt quote the entire article so the author gets credit by people visit his page ;)
I never thought of it that way. I hate having to bounce back & forth was my reasoning. Thanks :)

rmodel65

imported post

irish wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
I never thought of it that way. I hate having to bounce back & forth was my reasoning. Thanks :)
so edit it noob :lol:

Eeyore

imported post

irish wrote:
Suggestion: try right-clicking the link and choose "open in new tab"--that way OCDO stays open and you get the new page in a separate tab in the same window.

Vegassteve

imported post

I emailed what I thought was the correct department to see if this is true. Here is the reply I just got back.

RE: Can you confirm this story?
Friday, February 19, 2010 4:06 AM
From: "Doug Burel" Add sender to ContactsTo: "XXXXXX@yahoo.com>

No, I can’t confirm it because that location is actually the jurisdiction of the Cobb Police. The Captain they cite in the story, Captain Quan, is indeed a captain at Cobb Police Zone 1 so the story is probably legitimate. You can call them at 770-499-4181.

rmodel65

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
TVance wrote:
Do those OCers post on here?
Yes, quite frequently. The original poster is one, as are Rmodel65 and Malum Prohibitum. We usually hang out on another forum that talks about Georgia Packing, though.

i was not in that story linked:lol:

Malum is the author of the link

TN_Mike

imported post

Wow! What a great outcome!

Especially since I believe my family and I are moving to the Kennesaw area from the Memphis TN area in less than a month!

rmodel65

imported post

TN_Mike wrote:
Wow! What a great outcome!

Especially since I believe my family and I are moving to the Kennesaw area from the Memphis TN area in less than a month!

good thing you already have a gun your required by law to own one.....

TN_Mike

imported post

rmodel65 wrote
good thing you already have a gun your required by law to own one.....
Not to worry! We qualify several times over! :celebrate This is in fact, one of the many things that I already LOVE about Kennesaw.

Yosimite sam

imported post

I read an article in the news paper that stated people who open carry have helped decrease crime in kennesaw,Ga according to there documented statistics. I do believe that it does deter crime to some extent.For example you see an individual walking down the sidewalk open carrying a firearm, your going to be reluctant about robbing him.That is a deterrent factor.As apposed to someone not carrying.