• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holiday to honor Browning attacked by NAACP and Media

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

SB 247,[font="Arial, Helvetica"] John M. Browning State Holiday by Sen. Mark Madsen is being attacked by the NAACP, the media, and other anti-gun bigots.[/font]

Bill details can be read at: SB247 Web Page

You may want to call your State Senator and State Rep, along with Legislative leadership to voice support for this bill honoring a great Utahn and a great gun inventor.

KSL article at: KSL Story

Excerpts:

... Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Eagle Mountain, is sponsoring SB247. It would force the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday to be shared with a state holiday recognizing the birthday of Ogden gunmaker John Browning.

King's birthday is celebrated on the third Monday in January. He was born Jan. 15, 1929, and assassinated in 1968. Browning's birthday is thought to be around Jan. 21. He died at age 71 in 1926.

The Deseret News reports the local president of the NAACP, Jeanetta Williams, says she's furious. She points out that King was assassinated by a man using a gun. She called the move mean-spirited.

But some GOP lawmakers don't necessarily oppose the proposal. Majority Leader Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City, says he doesn't mind the idea, and tells the newspaper that guns are used to help keep peace.

The comments on this one are an interesting split.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I agree that the holiday should not be a shared one, but for one reason only.

John Moses Browning deserves his own day of recognition. :)