• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT Sig 522 Rifle

Magix

imported post

I bought a Sig 522 and it has a flat top with no sights. It's a 22LR rifle. I'm trying to figure out what scope I should get for it. I'm thinking about the Bushnell Tactical Elite 1x32 Red/Green T-dot Riflescope because it's gotten some good reviews.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a solid performing scope like this for a 22LR rifle? Is a red-dot the way to go or should I be looking at magnification scopes? I've never had a 22LR rifle before so any advice is great.

Also, is Federal bulk (load #745 or #510) ammo good? I've only had experience with CCI Mini-Mags with my Sig mosquito. Looking for better/cheaper options for more fun at the range.

Thanks for the help!

Trigger Dr

imported post

I shoot 200 yd matches with a single shot .22 LR and open sights. The best ammo for my gun is Aguila Super extra 40 grain. That is the yellow box. it shoots1-1/2" groups at 200 yds.

Your gun may not like it at all.

David.Car

imported post

Well first you have to decide whether you want a dot or magnification.

I have a red dot on my AR because I want quick target aquisition and will probably not be shooting it past 1-200 yards.

So if you intend to use it as a practice platform for an actual AR and will be mostly doing 25-50 yard drills, then I would go with a red dot. At that point I would use a better quality knock off Aimpoint. For about $100 you can get a decent knock off that will be more then reliable and worthy of a 22/training rig.

My 22 is more for making small holes and blowing the brains out of squirrels. So I went magnified.

The Mueller APV is what I use on my 22. It is 4.5-14x40.

If you do some searching around the rimfire forums it has become a very popular choice.

You can get it for $115 shipped here : http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

That is where I ordered, best price I could find on it shipped.

Magix

imported post

I'm definitely not shooting anything more than 100 yrds. Nor am I planning to take out a squirrel's brains.

My goals are pinpoint at 50 yards, fast target acquisition, and stays zeroed.

This rifle will be for plinking and target shooting only.

So what options do I have? Red-Dot?

amlevin

imported post

For years I have been using a simple 4-Power scope on my Ruger 10-22. You don't need anything fancy. Check out Wal-Mart for their offerings. A couple of years ago I picked up another scope there with illuminated reticle. A 4-16X40mm for only $69 that I now have on top of my AR heavy barrel. Good field of vision and has held up well for several thousand rounds. Scopes don't need to be expensive for everyday use.

David.Car

imported post

Magix wrote:
My goals are pinpoint at 50 yards, fast target acquisition, and stays zeroed.

This rifle will be for plinking and target shooting only.

Let us go over these

Pinpoint at 50 yards. Well, what do you mean by pinpoint? My stock parts Ruger 10/22 willachieve .5-1 inch groupsat 50 yards after I floated the barrel and did some trigger work. A new barrel and I might be able to cut it down just a little bit more. Of course this is using my scope at 14x with bags under the front.

If you go with a red dot you have to take into account what the dot covers. Most cheaper red dots have a 4 moa dot. Which means at 100 yards it covers 4 inches of the target. So at 50 yards it will cover 2 inches. So your groups will realisticly be closer to 3 inches just because of the way the dot works.

Fast target aquisition. There obviously is nothing faster then a red dot style sight. You can shoot with both eyes open and the dot just magically floats out in the air :D

But shooting fast will definitly not give you pinpoint accuracy. Quick shooting is more about just getting on target. Not on target and right in the center of the bulls... If I ampracticing for quick target with my AR I am happy with being within 4 inches of center target at 25 yards. Of course I am going for speed and know that 4 inches within COM is more then acceptable.

Stays Zeroed. Well both a red dot and scope will do that with proper mounting.

Plinking and target shooting. Again... What type of target? Just hitting 6 inch poppers as fast as you can? Or trying to get as small a group as possible?

Fast poppers out to 50 yards red dot is your man. Going for under an inch on a target with a 10 shot group? Go for the scope.

Edit: Now a days you can actually do both. For that all around tacti-cool best of both worlds looks, mount a scope and then put a small red dot on the scope...

B-CompColl.jpg

Or you can get a magnifier for an aimpoint style red dot. If you can wait another hour and a half I will take a picture of how that looks on my rifle at home.

David.Car

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Or get an EOTech and flip-up 4X magnifier!
Of course you posted that while I was talking about it in my edit...

I would still go with an Aimpoint + Magnifier though. I like Eotechs by themself, I prefer an Aimpoint style if magnified.

Magix

imported post

Thanks for all the info David! Great advice. I think I might have to get both and see what I enjoy doing more at the range. I'll look into getting two conservative sights.

While reading your post, I think I'm looking to get on target quickly and make good 4"-5" groups at 25~50 yrds. I think I misused "pinpoint".

LOL An Eotech or Aimpoint is probably going to break the bank. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I had a real AR, maybe I'd consider it.

Magix

imported post

WOOOOOW :shock: That's a sick setup! I never really thought about doing that. Scope w/ red dot attached. Interesting...that may have changed my approach. I better do some research.

David.Car

imported post

Magix wrote:
WOOOOOW :shock: That's a sick setup! I never really thought about doing that. Scope w/ red dot attached. Interesting...that may have changed my approach. I better do some research.
Ifound the site where Ipicked up my stuff, here are some photos from it.

Red Dot w/ QD Magnifier:

M33X.jpg

Can still take photos of how it looks on my own when I get home if you would like.