• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Records Request made February 17, 2010

Edward Peruta

imported post

FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

This information was recently received and may be of interest to those looking into the CCW process here in San Diego.

I'm sure there is much more to the story and I will post information as it becomes available.

ThePDF copy of information recieved has been removed.

cato

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
I'm thinking the SDSO is ruing the day they denied Ed his permit. "Damn this is going to cost us a bundle and we are already way over budget"

Don't worry about them. They have no guilt over spending/wasting our money to protect their egos.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Pretty amazing if they only denied 16 CCWs in that 5-yr span... either they do a great job of deterring people from even applying, or someone's lying about the numbers.

If one were to contact each person listed, it might be interesting to hear about their experience in the process: their good cause statements, reason for denial, etc... not to mention to let them know they can expect a check in the mail.

Edward Peruta

imported post

A CPRA lawsuit has been drafted in San Diego Superior Court and MAY be filed as early as tomorrow. The lawsuit will NOT pertain specifically to requests made about CCWs or firearms, but will address problems in obtaining timely access to public records.

"they do a great job of deterring people from even applying" ismore than likely the reason for only 16 official denials, and will be the subject of discovery in the current pending Federal case.

I've been asked by legal counsel to not post some of what's going on, but can assure everyone that it's beginning to get interesting.

Everyone needs to keep checking http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-Diego-County-Political-Buzz-Examinerfor a firearm related story that is in the works.

1245A Defender

imported post

i wonder if it was appropriate for you to publicly post the full contact information of all these private citizens?

i would not want to be publicly outed as a probable gun owner, along with my address, for possible criminal activity.

i think you should edit the list to delete that specific info!

oc4ever

imported post

When you apply for a CCW, it becomes a public record, and you have no expectation of privacy. However listing the people and the addresses on this site was unnecessary (got that Ed?) and should be removed from the post.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

The fact that Ed's posting probably shouldn't disturb you quite as much as the fact that anyone anywhere can get the same information with little to no effort.

Wasn't there a news story a while back about some vindictive newspaper publishing names and addresses of ccw holders?

My understanding of the CCW process is limited, those denials are applications that were carried through all the way to denial.

Are applications dropped before that point? I understand the curiousity of the GP numbers, butin a county that big, theres more than meets the eye.

Oy, if I had a big enough harddrive and a couple of days time to copy their entire database system.

Wc

imported post

Why should is publishing the addresses ofCCW holders would helping the criminal to find a free firearm?

chewy352

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
The fact that Ed's posting probably shouldn't disturb you quite as much as the fact that anyone anywhere can get the same information with little to no effort.

Wasn't there a news story a while back about some vindictive newspaper publishing names and addresses of ccw holders?

My understanding of the CCW process is limited, those denials are applications that were carried through all the way to denial.

Are applications dropped before that point? I understand the curiousity of the GP numbers, butin a county that big, theres more than meets the eye.

Oy, if I had a big enough harddrive and a couple of days time to copy their entire database system.
When I went in to get the paperwork the lady at the front desk asked me why I needed one. I told her to protect myself and my family. She then said that if I didn't have more reason than that that my application would be denied.

So yes I believe many people are turned away at the front counter or the first interview.

chewy352

imported post

This was when I first moved back to CA before I even knew about open carry. ;)But now my recorder is always on me UOC or not.

cato

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
This was when I first moved back to CA before I even knew about open carry. ;)But now my recorder is always on me UOC or not.
Time then to go get another application ;)

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

chewy352 wrote:

When I went in to get the paperwork the lady at the front desk asked me why I needed one. I told her to protect myself and my family. She then said that if I didn't have more reason than that that my application would be denied.
"So, you're saying my family and I should just die then?"

heliopolissolutions

imported post

chewy352 wrote:

So yes I believe many people are turned away at the front counter or the first interview.

Oy. In that instance you didn't pay any funds to them, but you may have to pay 50$ nonrefundablejust to even get access to the application papers/packet. I think that is a powerful method of discouragement at least up in Merced.

cato

imported post

chewy352 wrote:

Your future sworn statement of those facts might be of interest to Ed (if he hasn't seen your post).

art work by Oleg Volk:

heliopolissolutions

imported post

That folks are turned away at the desk through misinformation, or that they charge you 50$ non refundable to even touch the packet?

chewy352

imported post

Good point Cato I think I will have to go back with my voice recorder.

Im debating about writing out a good cause statement listing all the court rulings that LE has no obligation to protect, CA releasing prisoners early, Heller saying that its an individual right/firearm needs to be ready for action etc.

What do you all think? I'm willing to put out the application fees because hopefully soon Ed will be able to give me the course for a fair price.