Thread: OC in Apartment Complex's

Post imported post

I live in an apartment complex in Holmen, WI. I read my lease and it doesn't say anything about a ban on guns. Then I thought to myself, I don't think a landlord can ban guns? Can they? I mean its where you live and keep your possessions, and yatta yatta yatta, but can they legally ban Open Carry in Apartments? Or ban you from possessing a firearm in your apartment?

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I am not a lawyer, but if it's not written in your lease as prohibited, you should be good to go. Public or community areas (pool, weight room, etc)may be another issue.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

This is my opinion only:

Inside your own apartment, the landlord has no say unless there is a no firearms stipulation in your lease.

In the common areas, that's a whole other story. Regardless what the lease doesn't say, he may be able to restrict you to "unloaded and encased."

Post imported post

firearm stipulation or no Stipulation...that landlord could kiss my hinder.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I've always wondered this as well. My apartment building is almost like a hotel. You walk in the main entrance, and then walk down the hallway to get to your apartment. So if I wanted to go for a walk with my gun on my hip, I would have to walk down that hall and out the front door.

I should be good to go. I know when I moved there the landlord knew I was in the military and had said something about guns. Something about maybe not having too many or just making sure they are in a safe or something. But I know it's not written anywhere.

My building is also full of old people...so I wouldn't want to freak them out too much by walking down the hall with a gun.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association