• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Apartment Complex's

usaftrevor87

imported post

I live in an apartment complex in Holmen, WI. I read my lease and it doesn't say anything about a ban on guns. Then I thought to myself, I don't think a landlord can ban guns? Can they? I mean its where you live and keep your possessions, and yatta yatta yatta, but can they legally ban Open Carry in Apartments? Or ban you from possessing a firearm in your apartment?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is my opinion only:

Inside your own apartment, the landlord has no say unless there is a no firearms stipulation in your lease.

In the common areas, that's a whole other story. Regardless what the lease doesn't say, he may be able to restrict you to "unloaded and encased."

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've always wondered this as well. My apartment building is almost like a hotel. You walk in the main entrance, and then walk down the hallway to get to your apartment. So if I wanted to go for a walk with my gun on my hip, I would have to walk down that hall and out the front door.

I should be good to go. I know when I moved there the landlord knew I was in the military and had said something about guns. Something about maybe not having too many or just making sure they are in a safe or something. But I know it's not written anywhere.

My building is also full of old people...so I wouldn't want to freak them out too much by walking down the hall with a gun.