• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ar15 problem?

erich_kopp

imported post

MyBushmaster xm-15makes a really load dong sound, It's the buffer hitting the buffer tube I can see a little scuff mark at the end of the buffer tube (55 grain and 62 grain both do it), Will a Super 2X M16 Recoil Springfix it or do I need MGI Rate Reducing Buffer Rifle Stock Adapterto go along with it? andis MGI Industriesa good company I have never heard of them before? thanks (

David.Car

imported post

ARs typically have a loud sproing when shooting.

Is yours louder then other ARs?

From what your describing it sounds like normal AR action on a carbine length (14.5-16) rifle with normal buffer...

If you do want to smooth it out and go with a H2 buffer,I know the Spikes one has gotten good reviews.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_97&products_id=201

BTW: I did a quick search on heavy buffers at arfcom and got a dozen results including one specifically about changing out the buffers in Bushmaster M4gerys

amlevin

imported post

It sounds like your "Bushie" is perfectly normal. The rear of the buffer has that polymer bumper there for a reason. It is expected to hit the end of the tube. Put a couple of drops of lube on the buffer to help control the scuffing. I wouldn't change springs OR buffer. You might just create the other problem everyone with an AR experiences, that of short-stroking. As you shoot more there will be a certain amount of carbon build-up in the gas port, gas tube, bolt carrier, as well as wear on the gas rings. This will lessen the violence of the recoil and won't deteriorate the overallperformance of the weapon.

If you absolutely have to do something, get an adjustable gas tube. It has an adjustable"valve" in it that allows you to make fine adjustments. Open enough to cycle rounds andclosed enough to moderate the recoil.

Once again, it sounds like it is working just fine. All three of mind do the same thing without any long term problems.

killchain

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Keeping smart ass comments about AR's and "problems" to myself:p
wood_AR-15.png

There, it's got wood, so it works better. ;P

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Nope even with the wood, it's still got a funny gas system, and over complicated trigger, plus tolerances more suitable for a match rifle than a military gun. Give me something with a piston, and a cartridge in caliber that starts with 7.62 :p Oh and isn't an AR rebuilt to have a piston and a better upper. I've got .22's already LOL

amlevin

imported post

That's funny, you can get a caliber that starts with 7.62 (with a longer cartridge) and gas piston in an AR also. Even with gas pistons if you really have to. They just don't come with a 2x4 for a stock.

:celebrate

amlevin

imported post

kschmadeka wrote:
The AR is the finest weapon ever made for killing lots of squirrels very quickly. :lol:
In some cities they use them to kill squirrels that can run up to 6' 6" and 250 lbs. Usually those that run the streets in the inner city at all hours of the night. These squirrels are often found robbing liquor stores, convenience stores, and sometimes shooting at cops.

David.Car

imported post

amlevin wrote:
kschmadeka wrote:
The AR is the finest weapon ever made for killing lots of squirrels very quickly. :lol: 

In some cities they use them to kill squirrels that can run up to 6' 6" and 250 lbs.  Usually those that run the streets in the inner city at all hours of the night.  These squirrels are often found robbing liquor stores, convenience stores, and sometimes shooting at cops.

Not to mention those pesky sand squirrels in other countries.

shad0wfax

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Nope even with the wood, it's still got a funny gas system, and over complicated trigger, plus tolerances more suitable for a match rifle than a military gun. Give me something with a piston, and a cartridge in caliber that starts with 7.62 :p Oh and isn't an AR rebuilt to have a piston and a better upper. I've got .22's already LOL
...starts with 7.62 and ends with x51...

I'm not a fan of anemic Russian 7.62x39 stuff.

Tawnos

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
...starts with 7.62 and ends with x51...

I'm not a fan of anemic Russian 7.62x39 stuff.
bah, 51? It better end with x54R ;)

amlevin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
It is easily reloadable if you buy brass for it.

Yeah, cause that russian loaded stuff is made from scrapped old russian cars. Steel in the cases is probably better than the steel in the cars they scrapped.

With 7.62.51 I get the brass for free and it's boxer primed. Last batch was over 1,000 pieces. Probably won't need any more brass for a looooooooong time.