• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My coveted 1911 choice is illegal!!!

wewd

imported post

Maybe they are making them several places now, but as I understood it they were all made from IMBEL forgings.

But here's the real shocker: Springfield Armory, Inc. has nothing to do with Springfield Armory. :shock:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

.460 Rowland is cool, but I can't see carrying it around town for self-defense, for the same reason that few people carry .44 magnum. I don't think that's going to be a deciding factor for most buyers. :)

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
.460 Rowland is cool, but I can't see carrying it around town for self-defense, for the same reason that few people carry .44 magnum. I don't think that's going to be a deciding factor for most buyers. :)

Sorry Marshaul, my post wasn't very clear :quirky. I wasn't linking the .460 Rowland kit for that purpose. My point was that the RIA frame, among others is (according to Clark Custom) incapable of "gracefully" absorbing the additional impact of that round.

If you just want a reliable piece of machinery then you are right; that information probably wouldn't interest you. From what I have read the RIA is a reliable pistol. However, if you appreciate it when your purchases don't just meet, but exceed their operating requirements then it might spur you to take a second look.

ETA: I agree btw, .460 Rowland is cool. :celebrate

heliopolissolutions

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
wewd wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
I got my springfield 1911a1(milspec) new for about 650. And i love the hell out of it and its built here in the good ol US of A!!

Sorry to rain on your parade bud, but Springfield's 1911 frames, slides, and barrels are made in Brazil by IMBEL. The frames are imported as raw forgings and machined here, so that's why it says Made in USA on it, since technically Springfield isn't importing firearms from Brazil. The Taurus stuff is made in the same factory.

really?

mine says made in genesso

and the GI version says made in brazil and has the IMBEL

lol meh either way its still a good pistol at an affordable price.
Was it Genesso...or Genêsio? Because theres a difference. :)

Tomahawk

imported post

PT1911's are banned in CA but RIA 1911's aren't? What's the difference?

I have a PT1911 and it's well-made, despite Taurus' history with other semiauto designs. And for the price it's hard to beat with all the features.

Rich Keagy

imported post

California law makers get heartburn if a pistol is not equipped with a firing pin safety, so a gun will not discharge when dropped or (more likely) thrown to the ground.
Kimber added the feature and the appellation "II" after the earlier model name.
The Gold Match became the Gold Match II.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
California law makers get heartburn if a pistol is not equipped with a firing pin safety, so a gun will not discharge when dropped or (more likely) thrown to the ground.
Kimber added the feature and the appellation "II" after the earlier model name.
The Gold Match became the Gold Match II.
No, 1911 pattern guns are exempt because of the age of the design.

RIAs are perfectly legal and have no pin safety.

Kimber likely added the pin safety to add an addition point of failure, which they seem to really love on their guns these days.

Tomahawk wrote:
PT1911's are banned in CA but RIA 1911's aren't? What's the difference?

I have a PT1911 and it's well-made, despite Taurus' history with other semiauto designs. And for the price it's hard to beat with all the features.
The difference is that Armscor paid the tax, and Taurus didn't.

Now, I don't like the tax one bit, but I sure do like companies who will pay it to sell me a product I demand.

nerdyvirgin

imported post

my friend bought a rock 1911 back in november he loves it he stripped it apart chromed out the slide and barrel and repainted it added larger beaver tail and trigger,and changed the spring, little things here and there, i shot it for the first time yesterday, seems like a good gun, he plans on buying more rocks,also i guess he said rocks r from philippines and he is filipino so he sticking to it more culturally lol. he never shot a glock b4 until yesterday and now he plans on getting a glock 19 into his collection soon,he paid about 520 for the rock i think it was the tactical version or something like that with the holes in the trigger wasnt really paying attention to what he was saying.he is always on the m1911 forums and says rock gets good reviews and has great customer service.

poothrowingape

imported post

"'...his rights have an expiration date based on payment of a government fee. Americans are not limited to a government list of approved books, or approved religions,' he said. 'A handgun protected by the Second Amendment does not need to appear on any government-approved list and cannot be banned because a manufacturer does not pay a special annual fee.'" (3rd paragraph)

:arrow:nice article cato. i dream of a day that our state gives us our rights back.

pullnshoot25

imported post

I have a Daly 1911 that I am selling for 400 bucks and it is a good pistol. PM me or email me at trackerpacker@notillegalyet.com if you want info. Hi Power is not for sale ;)

22542_468414235211_733635211_11181306_6182376_n.jpg