• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My coveted 1911 choice is illegal!!!

poothrowingape

imported post

Well My latest visit to the local gun dealer left a sour taste in my mouth. I found out(and reafirmed later on theDOJ website) that theTaurus PT1911is illegal(for sale)in california.

They were the obvious choice for me since they were affordable $500-$600, and came with ambi safeties.

Can anyone point me to another 1911 source that is just as affordable but still legal inКДLIFOЯИIД? The safety doesnt have to be amidextrious since i can just buy one and put it on.

P.S. i know this threadshould probablybe in the "selecting a handgun" forum, but since thats accessed by all states, i do not want to be misled.

dirtykoala

imported post

Glock ftw!

I've also seen some used springfields in that Price range on calguns. Just buy a Wilson combat, they are only $3000+/-. I'm thinking about not eating or paying for my cars or rent for a few months and buying one! JK! 1911s are nice guns. I wish I could afford one that I really want like a night hawk or a Wilson.

helldiablo

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
Well My latest visit to the local gun dealer left a sour taste in my mouth. I found out(and reafirmed later on theDOJ website) that theTaurus PT1911is illegal(for sale)in california.

They were the obvious choice for me since they were affordable $500-$600, and came with ambi safeties.

Can anyone point me to another 1911 source that is just as affordable but still legal inКДLIFOЯИIД? The safety doesnt have to be amidextrious since i can just buy one and put it on.

P.S. i know this threadshould probablybe in the "selecting a handgun" forum, but since thats accessed by all states, i do not want to be misled.

i would suggest going with a rock island armory 1911 .45 i just got one to replace my orignal colts. i still have them though.. they are imho just as good as the orignal the parts swap also they are relativly cheap also i got mine for $320 new in box good luck to ya carry on

P.s. let me know what you chose

poothrowingape

imported post

I went to a dealer yesterday and he let me hold a Rocky A1. It seemed pretty heavy compaired to other guns ive held. He said Rock Island doesnt use aluminum in constructing their hand guns.

Id prefer something lighter than the Rocky since ill probably be concieling it; but the price was pretty good ill admit. Although ive been hearing mixed reviews. Of all the reviews the average is: the guns are good after you break them in with some solid range time; as well as use good mags.

dirtykoala

imported post

i hadnt heard of the RIA until this thread. its got me thinking, maybe buy one then build it up slowly with high quality parts until all you have from RIA is the frame.

poothrowingape

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
i hadnt heard of the RIA until this thread. its got me thinking, maybe buy one then build it up slowly with high quality parts until all you have from RIA is the frame.
that's what people seem to be doing. pretty good idea.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know if it is true any longer, but as recently as November they were talking about being over 6 months on back order and not taking any more orders. . .

I hope not, because when I get my gun rights back I plan on celebrating by getting a 1911 and I have heard they are good starters.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I don't want to start that nonsense where people bash this and bash that and its gets silly.

But you may have dodged a bullet (hah) with missing out on the Taurus.

Its just an opinion based on personal experience with Taurus' semi-autos particularly the 24/7 line, is such that I would not reccomend them highly.

RIA, and Kimber come to mind as great alternatives, have you considered a personal, bit by bit build?

dirtykoala

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
I don't want to start that nonsense where people bash this and bash that and its gets silly.

But you may have dodged a bullet (hah) with missing out on the Taurus.

Its just an opinion based on personal experience with Taurus' semi-autos particularly the 24/7 line, is such that I would not reccomend them highly.

RIA, and Kimber come to mind as great alternatives, have you considered a personal, bit by bit build?

i thought you couldnt do this because you cant buy just the frame because it wont pass the CA drop test?

mjones

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:

Only illegal for sale by an FFL.

If you can find one for-sale in CA from a Private Party, you can transfer ownership through an FFL. LEOs and Personal Handgun Importers are exempt from the Roster. Unfortunately, finding one for sale might be a problem.

Nopal

imported post

The only issue I've heard of RIA guns is that their steelmay betoo soft for a constant diet of .45 super or maybe even .45 +P ammo. The locking lugs on the slide may have long-term issues with it. You'd also have to replace the slide spring etc, but honestly, who in reality actually shoots .45 super/+P almost eclusively?

Other than that I've heard nothing but great things from these Phillipines-made guns. They're definitely worth considering.

yellowneck86

imported post

Just bought an AMT hardballer used for 550 out the door. Nice stainless steel 1911, the only problem with it is that it won't feed .45acp semi wadcutters. Currently at the shop getting reramped. But it did eat one whole bag of load x ball ammo.

helldiablo

imported post

my brother suggested the RIA to me after he found out i was oc my colts he told me they were worth a lot so he suggested the rocky.... straight out of box no oil or nothing i loaded them w/ 230gr white boxwinchester..... after over 250 round i had no failure to feed or eject smooth operation.... the only downside i found was the stock magazines they dont allow the slide to lock back when empty..... i put my magazine from my colts in it and every thing worked perfect..... so it no big deal now all clean and oiled and happy gun (a cleanwell oiled gun is a happy gun ) keep your wits about you my friends and carry on

p.s. ive only had it for about a week now so if i find any more down falls illlet you all know but my bro swears by them he's a class 3 dealer and has several of his own so i take his advice when given

wewd

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
I got my springfield 1911a1(milspec) new for about 650. And i love the hell out of it and its built here in the good ol US of A!!

Sorry to rain on your parade bud, but Springfield's 1911 frames, slides, and barrels are made in Brazil by IMBEL. The frames are imported as raw forgings and machined here, so that's why it says Made in USA on it, since technically Springfield isn't importing firearms from Brazil. The Taurus stuff is made in the same factory.

leoffensive

imported post

wewd wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
I got my springfield 1911a1(milspec) new for about 650. And i love the hell out of it and its built here in the good ol US of A!!

Sorry to rain on your parade bud, but Springfield's 1911 frames, slides, and barrels are made in Brazil by IMBEL. The frames are imported as raw forgings and machined here, so that's why it says Made in USA on it, since technically Springfield isn't importing firearms from Brazil. The Taurus stuff is made in the same factory.

really?

mine says made in genesso

and the GI version says made in brazil and has the IMBEL

lol meh either way its still a good pistol at an affordable price.