• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sometimes, an "F" is a good thing...

HeesBonafide

imported post

Somehow, I knew that the my findings would end up this way. I have a habit of looking at logic instead of politics or emotions when looking at the data.

Every so often, I check out Brady's site and it came out with a "report card" for states. I checked out Washington State and we came in an abyssmal "1 star" and a lowly score of only 17 points!-- basically an "F" if you grade on a curve. In fact, it wa so bad, that we were not even rated against our other 49 other states : http://tinyurl.com/BradyWA

I then thought I would see if I could find the number 1 rated state on their site, and did a little searching and found that beautiful California has received the dubious honor of being Brady's star student and received a "4 Stars!" rating with 79 out of 100 points and their NUMBER ONE rate state. http://tinyurl.com/BradyCA

So, I thought to myself. Does this mean what I think it means? That California actually is doing something "to prevent gun violence" as the Brady's Tag Line would say?

So, I asked google for gun crime by state and came up with the following: http://tinyurl.com/StGunCrime. Something has to be wrong, because their star student (while not as bad as the worst place: Wash DC) they were listed at #30. Not too badwhen you lookat itall on it's own-- they are in the bottom half ofstates, so they can't be that bad. HORRIBLE if they are considered their star student and even worse when you compare them to our own state (not even rated student of 17 points and only 1 star) listedat 35.

I guess Iwould rather receive an F grade and have lessguncrime, thanget an AGrade with more gun crime.

FMCDH

imported post

ak56 wrote:
We still have a ways to go with that 17 score... Utah got a perfect 0.:D
O Man!

Why couldn't they grade on a curve? I'm sure we could have gotten a lower score on the curve! ;)

Edit:

But congrats to Utah! Way to go!

amzbrady

imported post

I saw it too. I troll their website to see what their opinionated, one sided view for the day is also. What do we need to do to get our score to a perfect "0" also? We cant let Utah beat us.

DaemonForce

imported post

ak56 wrote:
We still have a ways to go with that 17 score... Utah got a perfect 0.:D
Ahahahahahaahaha! <3

I don't like being OT but I have just discovered why my county is so completely screwed: Chris. Also I believe we have just confirmed sv'ssuspicions. :uhoh:

I'm serious. I just read tonight's Chronicle and the way a normal person skips around to headlines when they read it would make a sane rational person want to move the hell out. Let me give you my new found example starting from the middle of Adam Pearson's health article:

In a press release issued by the public health department, health officer Rachel Wood said the county scored 35th of 39 in health behaviors: tobacco use, alcohol use, diet, exercise and high risk sexual behaviors.

High risk sexual behaviors? I'll let you interpret that any damn way you want. I know what everyone else here is thinking though. :lol:

It gets better:

Each resident has the power to pick one behavior - no matter how small -- to change with the intent of improving their own health. For example, choosing to drink water<snip>

It ends right there before telling you the rest is on the back page. Though you won't want to read the rest of it because the second you glance down from the article you see a big @#$%ing header that says Gregoire Proposes New Taxes on Soda, Water, Candy. :banghead:

Who puts a tax on water? A free resource that depending on where you livecould bemore abundantthan stupid women? I think it's time to retreat to a better state like Oregon. Not even AlPacino would put up with this. I bet the women are better there too.

FMCDH

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
Who puts a tax on water? A free resource that depending on where you livecould bemore abundantthan stupid women? I think it's time to retreat to a better state like Oregon. Not even AlPacino would put up with this. I bet the women are better there too.
Umm....

That would be BOTTLED water as is sold by corporations like Coka Cola or Pepsi, not municipal water or water sold by metric weight, such as is purchased for a cistern.

Perhaps you should have gritted your teeth and read the whole thing, or, done a bit more research.

Edited for clarity and punctuation.

DaemonForce

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Umm....

That would be BOTTLED water as is sold by company's like coka cola, not municipal water.
I realize that. It's just how everything is organized in tonight's paper makes me feel like burning away any shred of faith I had left in people. Watching CNN will do that too.

Also, I still have values for myself. I don't pay for sex or water. If you manage tofind sex in a bottle, you got what you paid for. If you pay for bottled water, you're getting a golf club up your ass(or equivalent health effect). Last time I checked(which is never), there's a lot of crap in bottled water. Stuff you don't need in your system. Do not want.

If I go for a new permit or license, I pay the taxes and I get what I paid for. If I pay for water, I'm being extorted.

Edited for lack of perpetual energy.

FMCDH

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
Umm....

That would be BOTTLED water as is sold by company's like coka cola, not municipal water.
I realize that. It's just how everything is organized in tonight's paper makes me feel like burning away any shred of faith I had left in people. Watching CNN will do that too.

Also, I still have values for myself. I don't pay for sex or water. If you manage tofind sex in a bottle, you got what you paid for. If you pay for bottled water, you're getting a golf club up your ass(or equivalent health effect). Last time I checked(which is never), there's a lot of crap in bottled water. Stuff you don't need in your system. Do not want.
O, I totally agree.

We long ago stopped buying bottled water and started using a good filtration system at the kitchen tap. Talk about saving money and such better water quality that would make the aforementioned corporations quake with fear if everyone used such systems.

Of course, not all municipal water needs filtering, but ours just happens to.

Edit: Ok, back to the OT. :uhoh:;)

DaemonForce

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
kitchen tap
If you had any idea of our recent water systemhistory... :(

Yeah. It's not good either. Almost as bad as this Brady effect. Speaking of which, the gun related crimes are usually violent ones, right? In that case it's not a matter of what do we do but what does that mean? What exactly is the real goal of this Brady campaign?

I just recognized thegeneral concensus on this topic. Utah and Arizona are man lands. Probably a good reason I've been in them. Utah has a perfect 0. That's awesome. They don't have laws to control guns but they don't have laws to control gun traffic. Maybe they realize the ordeal or they're the ringleader behind the whole gun mess. Either way, I'd have to say Utah residents really are enlightened people. =/

HeesBonafide

imported post

You mean Utah got a ZERO?! They must have a HUGE gun violance problem!! Surely can't be better than Cali......uh, wait.......oh, nevermind..:lol:

Metalhead47

imported post

Interesting info there... I'd have thought New Hampshire would have been the lowest. Surprised WA got such a high score actually.

Although now I have a painfully strong urge to wipe my hard drive, disassemble & sterilize my computer piece-by-piece for having exposed it to such unabashed & repugnant online filth as the brady bunch's website.:uhoh:

Think I'll go shower again too.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Interesting info there... I'd have thought New Hampshire would have been the lowest. Surprised WA got such a high score actually.

Although now I have a painfully strong urge to wipe my hard drive, disassemble & sterilize my computer piece-by-piece for having exposed it to such unabashed & repugnant online filth as the brady bunch's website.:uhoh:

Think I'll go shower again too.

That's why I only use the computer at work when I want to check their website.

kenshin

imported post

"2 feature test on assault pistols only"
~WA report card

I have to ask, what the heck is an assault pistol? I've never even heard the term before. Is Brady making up new phrases again.....?

Next thing you know, they'll try banning all handguns with sights on them since it makes them "too" accurate. :banghead:

FMCDH

imported post

kenshin wrote:
~WA report card

I have to ask, what the heck is an assault pistol? I've never even heard the term before. Is Brady making up new phrases again.....?

Next thing you know, they'll try banning all handguns with sights on them since it makes them "too" accurate. :banghead:
O, they would do it if they thought they could use the angle successfully.

Heck, in California, they may just! :?:D

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
kenshin wrote:
~WA report card

O, they would do it if they thought they could use the angle successfully.

Heck, in California, they may just! :?:D
LOL yep they'll ban ones with sites because it's too accurate and then they ban the ones without sites because innocent bystanders could be hit.

kparker

imported post

I was feeling pretty proud about that '17' score, until I looked at their map and saw the sea of red. Yep, 25 states have even lower scores than we do! What's up with that???

shad0wfax

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I saw it too. I troll their website to see what their opinionated, one sided view for the day is also. What do we need to do to get our score to a perfect "0" also? We cant let Utah beat us.
If we make "campus-carry" legal, we'd get a perfect 0 also.

FMCDH

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
If we make "campus-carry" legal, we'd get a perfect 0 also.
You mean preempting a university's ability to punish staff or students who carry on university property, right?

Its already "legal" as far as state law is concerned for people to carry.

The major hiccup being that the state has given publicly funded universities the ability to trespass as if they are private property.

Edited to add an n....doh

DaemonForce

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
You mean preempting a university's ability to punish staff or students who carry on university property, right?

Its already "legal" as far as state law is concerned for people to carry.

The major hiccup being that the state has give publicly funded universities the ability to trespass as if they are private property.
They shouldn't have to do that. There should be armed guards in there to protect students. I'd like to see students open carry on campus but it's likely a few certain people would just cause problems and ruin it for everyone. The alternative is a secured access environment.