• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Criminal pulls starter pistol- Store Clerk pulls real gun.

James_Liv_Co

imported post

From Livingston County Press today:

http://www.livingstondaily.com/arti...Shots-fired-in-second-of-two-robbery-attempts

One man is in custody after an attempted robbery at the Venture Corners supermarket in Deerfield Township was repelled Thursday afternoon when a clerk fired shots at the would-be robber.

At Venture Corners, at Faussett and Argentine roads, a white male, in his mid-30s, walked into store saying he needed money, said Livingston County Undersheriff Mike Murphy. The would-be robber pointed a weapon at the clerk, believed to be a starter pistol, which shoots blanks only.

The store clerk pushed it aside and produced his own weapon, and ordered the perpetrator to the floor.

The clerk pushed the silent alarm button, and said, “I don’t want to shoot you,” according to Murphy. That’s when the suspect jumped up and fled out the door.
The clerk fired one shot inside the building as man fled, Murphy said. The clerk then fired two more rounds as the perpetrator fled in a black Grand Prix.

He shot out a rear tire and the rear and side windows of the car. The perpetrator was not hit by the gunfire.

Suspect fled westbound on Faussett Road. He was followed by an unknown individual, Murphy said.

Police stopped the suspect vehicle on Latson Road just north of Faussett.

No money was taken, and there were no injuries in the incident.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I hope the clerk prevails and this incident sends aclear message toBG'sthat the mere citizenry is not kneeling down any longer.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Springer, I'm with Malignity on this one.springerdave.
I don't disagree with Malignity, the clerk, most likely, screwed up and may pay stiff penalties for his or her actions. Obviously, the clerk needs some schooling on the Self-Defense Act.

dereksj

imported post

wow i have been to this store quite a bit its way out in the country i wouldnt have ever thought this would of happend there but just goes to show ya you never know when and where

1245A Defender

imported post

T Vance wrote:
malignity wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
sounds like a bad shoot.

And an idiot, shooting at a fleeing suspect.
Yep, could be asking for a criminal charge. I know his adrenaline was probably rushing after having a gun pointed at him, even if it was only a "starters pistol", but you have to know when you can lawfully shoot to defend yourself.
the only right time to shoot this robber was when he pulled and pointed the gun, even if he could tell it was a starter pistol, he didnt need to tell anybody he knew it could not shoot him.
at that instant he should have shot the robber in self defence!

Leader

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
T Vance wrote:
malignity wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
sounds like a bad shoot.

Yep, could be asking for a criminal charge. I know his adrenaline was probably rushing after having a gun pointed at him, even if it was only a "starters pistol", but you have to know when you can lawfully shoot to defend yourself.
the only right time to shoot this robber was when he pulled and pointed the gun, even if he could tell it was a starter pistol, he didnt need to tell anybody he knew it could not shoot him.

Sure sounds to me like a perfect example of the "fleeing felon" clause in the law.

Armed robbery IS a felon and the guy WAS fleeing.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Leader wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
T Vance wrote:
malignity wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
sounds like a bad shoot.

Sure sounds to me like a perfect example of the "fleeing felon" clause in the law.

Armed robbery IS a felon and the guy WAS fleeing.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/01/11/michigan-rules-for-arrest-advice-to-gun-owners/

Michigan Rules for Arrest, Advice to Gun Owners
by Daniel Bambery, Author of “A Common Sense Guide to Michigan Gun Laws”

Michigan – -(AmmoLand.com)- An arrest is the stopping or restraint of a person that requires them to remain within certain specified limits. Any time someone stops me from going where I have a right to go, I have been “arrested”. When the security guard stops me from leaving the store and asks to look into my shopping cart; when the TSA employee demands to see my boarding pass; when a child stands in the door and wants me to stay home and play; when the police officer pulls me over I have been arrested.

The question is whether the arrest is proper and how much force is allowed in making a proper arrest.

The rule of reasonableness applies throughout the rules governing arrest. To avoid consequences in all situations, the actions of the person making the arrest must be reasonable.

A private person can use more force than a police officer to arrest a fleeing felon without criminal consequences; but in more limited circumstances. Michigan courts have ruled that the use of deadly force by a private person to prevent the escape of a fleeing felon is justifiable where the following three circumstances are present: (1) the evidence must show that a felony actually occurred, (2) the fleeing suspect against whom force was used must be the person who committed the felony, and (3) the use of deadly force must been necessary to ensure the apprehension of the felon. (That is, if the arrestee resists the arrest or would escape without the use of deadly force.)

This third circumstance is another way of saying the use of deadly force must be reasonable. If the fleeing felon has stopped and is awaiting the arrival of the police, the use of deadly force is not reasonable. Likewise the use of deadly force before calling out to the felon to stop is probably unreasonable.

On the other hand a police officer is bound by the constitutional prohibition against unreasonable arrests. The U. S. Supreme Court has ruled that it is per se unreasonable for a police officer to use deadly force to stop a nonviolent fleeing felon who poses no danger to the officer or others. Thus, there is a fourth circumstance that applies to the police but the police can arrest with probable cause. So the rule for police use of deadly force is: 1) the officer must have probable cause to believe that a felony actually occurred, (2) the officer must have probable cause to believe the fleeing suspect against whom force was used is the person who committed the felony, (3) the use of deadly force must been necessary to ensure the apprehension of the felon, and (4) the fleeing felon must pose a danger to others if not stopped. (The danger can be shown by the nature of the crime the person is fleeing from. An armed robber is always dangerous. A burglar may be dangerous.)

A private person may make an arrest without civil consequences for the arrest if the person arrested has actually committed a felony. Probable cause or a reasonable belief is not good enough. The arrestee must actually be a felon. Liability can still attach if the arrest was done in an unreasonable manner.

Police may arrest without a warrant with probable cause to believe a felony has been committed and probable cause to believe the person arrested committed it, or if a misdemeanor has been committed in the officer’s presence. An officer can always arrest if a warrant exists for the arrest.

Michigan has changed many traffic violations from misdemeanors to civil infractions. There is now a specific statute allowing officers to detain motorists upon reasonable belief that the motorist committed a civil infraction.

An improper or false arrest is rarely a criminal act. If the person making the false arrest forces the person arrested to go to another location it may become the crime of kidnapping. If the arresting person unreasonably uses deadly force and the arrestee dies it can be murder. But absent such aggravating circumstances the remedy for a false arrest is a civil suit for damages. Damages can include such things as mental anguish for public embarrassment, lost wages, costs of therapy needed to get over the embarrassment etc.

A merchant or librarian, or their employee, may arrest a person if the merchant has reasonable cause to believe that the person has stolen something from the store or library. Reasonable cause is often a tricky concept. Often the merchant will ask the person if they have something that belongs to the merchant or to voluntarily accompany them to the back of the store. The best procedure of course is for the merchant to actually see the person put the steaks inside their pants before leaving without paying.

A licensed, uniformed security guard has all the arrest powers of a police officer while on his employer’s premises.

If wrong, a merchant or librarian is not liable for mental anguish or punitive damages if the arrest was made with probable cause and in a reasonable manner. He is still liable for actual damages.

A theater owner can arrest, and hold for the police, a person the theatre owner has reasonable cause to believe was recording the movie.

It is good to reiterate that an arrest must always be reasonable and done in a reasonable manner. If a person avoids any criminal consequences from using force in making an arrest, they can still be liable for civil damages if they made an unreasonable arrest or made a reasonable arrest in an unreasonable manner.

(Emphisis Mine) Also see People v. Couch (1990) where the MSC held that Tn v. Garner....

James_Liv_Co

imported post

Here is the audio tape of the 9-11 call:

The store clerk was a concealed carry permit holder.

There are three segments of the audio.

1. Initial call with the perp in the store.

2. After the felon flees, the clerk talks to the 911 dispatcher.

3. 911 takes the call of a witness who was chasing the fleeing gunman.

Caution- harsh language.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/assets/mp3/C6152238219.MP3

Carnivore

imported post

The Clerk screwed up.. At one point, he could've shot the fella right on the spot, but once he submitted, and then on top of that fled the scene, the Clerk became the attacker..

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
The Clerk screwed up.. At one point, he could've shot the fella right on the spot, but once he submitted, and then on top of that fled the scene, the Clerk became the attacker..
It was bad as a self-defense shooting, but good as a fleeing felon shooting.

Since no one was harmed, I doubt the clerk will be charged.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

I think they should take the robber out in the local town square and hang him.