• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Criminal pulls starter pistol- Store Clerk pulls real gun.

mikestilly

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
I think they should take the robber out in the local town square and hang him.
Just curious, when one of your own crosses that line into "felonyville" by usurping someones rights under color of law, do you want to "string them up"?springerdave.

Sounds like a request granted in Nazi Germany and USSR .. Seems like that's your mindset. I'd rather die fighting then to see that happen.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
Just curious, when one of your own crosses that line into "felonyville" by usurping someones rights under color of law, do you want to "string them up"?springerdave.

Sounds like a request granted in Nazi Germany and USSR .. Seems like that's your mindset. I'd rather die fighting then to see that happen.
Bet you'd think differently if you were the store clerk.:lol:

PT111

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "One of your own" but I may assume that you mean someone like your younger brother being the robber. That is a good question and I have mixed feelings about it sometimes. In an actual case there was a murder where my mother's first cousin wasmurdered in a scheme in which my father's first cousin was one of the main culprits. It caused a lot of stress and mixed feelings in my familywhereone side of the family wanted him strung up and the other side wanted mercy. My imediate family was in the middle.

jeremy05

imported post

bad shoot, you CANT shoot a fleeing felon.

You used to be able to, but Detroit f--ked that all up with their CRASH unit. I dont remember the details, but it was something like they would bait criminals into crimes then announce POLICE so they would run then shoot them :lol:

They took that law off the books awhile ago from what I remember. At least as of 2005.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

PT111 wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "One of your own" but I may assume that you mean someone like your younger brother being the robber. That is a good question and I have mixed feelings about it sometimes. In an actual case there was a murder where my mother's first cousin wasmurdered in a scheme in which my father's first cousin was one of the main culprits. It caused a lot of stress and mixed feelings in my familywhereone side of the family wanted him strung up and the other side wanted mercy. My imediate family was in the middle.
No, not what I meant by "one of your own", Hombre claims to be LEO. That is what I meant by one of his own. One of his own = LEO. springerdave.

patriot1776

imported post

Dude, I have met the store owner before. My buddy and I were coming back from target shooting in Oak Grove State Game Area, and we stopped by at the store. We mentioned that we had just got done shooting and the guy lifts up his shirt and shows us his stub-nose .357. He's actually a nice guy, I'm kinda supprised how he reacted based on the 911 call recording. And to any of you who aren't from around here, that corner store is the only thing on that corner and its in the middle of nowhere lol. There are country houses down the street, but thats about it. I thought that the fleeing felon law was struck down by the USSC? Thats what my teacher in a CJ class I took told me, he was an ex-flint cop.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

(NOTE: The C key is nice to have, clean your keyboards today so you can type like a human too!)

Although shooting at a fleeing felon is clearly A bad thing, I hope the DA or police require the clerk to attend some formal self defense training in leu of charging him with a firearms violation.

Someone possesing a pistol in a fubar situation with little or no training is bound to be uncertain as to what he can and can't do.

Legally when he first drew he could legally and justifiably have shot and killed the would be robber. I hope that law enforcement and the courts take that and the high octane situation into account when making a decision regarding the clerk.

As for hanging out the robber with a noose, well, personally I believe in capital punishment for all repeat offenders. Presuming his record is semi clear and free of felony's, perhaps there is cause to utilize tax payer dollars for rehabilitation through the prison and court system. Repeat violent and felonious offenders however, I firmly believe in the death penalty.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
MichigamaGunslinger wrote:
Dude, I have met the store owner before. My buddy and I were coming back from target shooting in Oak Grove State Game Area, and we stopped by at the store. We mentioned that we had just got done shooting and the guy lifts up his shirt and shows us his stub-nose .357. He's actually a nice guy, I'm kinda supprised how he reacted based on the 911 call recording. And to any of you who aren't from around here, that corner store is the only thing on that corner and its in the middle of nowhere lol. There are country houses down the street, but thats about it. I thought that the fleeing felon law was struck down by the USSC? Thats what my teacher in a CJ class I took told me, he was an ex-flint cop.
Don't always believe what you hear, especially from a LEO. My CPL instructor told my class "you can't let ANY portion of your gun become visible in the state of Michigan".

BTW, what is a "CJ CLass"?

Criminal Justice class. I've taken a few.

patriot1776

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
(NOTE: The C key is nice to have, clean your keyboards today so you can type like a human too!)

Although shooting at a fleeing felon is clearly A bad thing, I hope the DA or police require the clerk to attend some formal self defense training in leu of charging him with a firearms violation.

Someone possesing a pistol in a fubar situation with little or no training is bound to be uncertain as to what he can and can't do.

Legally when he first drew he could legally and justifiably have shot and killed the would be robber. I hope that law enforcement and the courts take that and the high octane situation into account when making a decision regarding the clerk.

As for hanging out the robber with a noose, well, personally I believe in capital punishment for all repeat offenders. Presuming his record is semi clear and free of felony's, perhaps there is cause to utilize tax payer dollars for rehabilitation through the prison and court system. Repeat violent and felonious offenders however, I firmly believe in the death penalty.
I think that there should be a three strikes your out system. After the third offense, a public execution by firing squad outside the courthouse. I'm sure that I hold the minority view in this, but its my take on the capital punishment issue.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Very well aware of most folk not agreeing with me, and I understand that and live with it. I just feel that you have to deal permanently with those who do not wish to be a part of society, and feeding and clothing and housing them on my dime is not how I prefer to deal with professional felons.

I may never win a popularity contest with my beliefs, or get elected to a public office of substance (I heard you gotta run for those though), but I still insist on expressing my beliefs on crime and punishment, as I think it is a major tax payer burden that needs to be alleviated. Repeat offenders of serious crimes clearly do not wish to live productive lives in society, eliminate them, however is cheapest.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

springerdave wrote:
PT111 wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
No, not what I meant by "one of your own", Hombre claims to be LEO. That is what I meant by one of his own. One of his own = LEO. springerdave.
Hombre, so far you have not answered my question, please do.springerdave.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

Being accused of violating someones rights (a fact generally determined only by a court and open to interpretation especially on this forum which has proven to be anti-police) does not equate to armed robbery. So, in the context that you are trying to pigeon hole me into saying my answer would be a resounding "no".

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hombre, not everyone hates you because your a LEO :) There is quite a few people around here, albeit elsewhere as well, that are in fact anti-LEO, many of whom have great reasons to hate a few specific peace officers, but choose to take it out on all LEO's instead. Please don't group the entire message board as anti-LEO, just as you I am confident, would prefer to not be hated merely for being a LEO, because of a few bad seeds in your apple fields. We aren't all anti law enforcement, but I am fairly sure most here are anti bad law enforcement :)

Stereotyping groups is done by most everyone at some point, and usually badly, we aren't all perfect, and our world and country are far from perfect, because of course, not everyone is me and believes in my values. But we can still get along usually, it just takes a little effort!