• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the Triad

ColtraneM3

imported post

Hey everyone, I'm a firearms enthusiast living in High Point, but I frequent Kernersville, Greensboro, Winston Salem, and the surrounding areas.

I just got a Springfield XDM that I would like to OC, but I'm relatively new to carry in general and would like to know if anyone else in the area has any OC experience to share. How do LEO's and businesses in general respond to OC in the Triad and surrounding towns?

Thanks much!

jag06

imported post

ColtraneM3 wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm a firearms enthusiast living in High Point, but I frequent Kernersville, Greensboro, Winston Salem, and the surrounding areas.

I just got a Springfield XDM that I would like to OC, but I'm relatively new to carry in general and would like to know if anyone else in the area has any OC experience to share. How do LEO's and businesses in general respond to OC in the Triad and surrounding towns?

Thanks much!

Welcome, I am in your neck of the woods. I live in Kernersville, but spend most of my time in High Point, Greensboro, and Jamestown. I am new here myself and I have not started carrying yet but I hope to be soon. I remember reading some stories of people oc'ing around here, I will if I can them for you.

Kivuli

imported post

Welcome to the forums! I live in Greensboro myself, but frequent High Point, K-Vegas, Archdale, Winston, Thomasville, the works. I've only ever had one negative encounter while Open Carrying (A Greensboro officer tried to tell me it was illegal but he was polite about it at least). The vast majority of my experiences are neutral or positive, and that includes law enforcement. Carry on.

ocgso

imported post

Live in GSO and attended the last two OC meets. Very poor attendance and hard to organize.

I am in GSO mostly, and OC a lot in the evenings and weekend. Admittedly not as much this time of year because I would rather just let my coat cover it and not worry about being cold:lol:

I have had ZERO issues with Greensboro PD. I have been asked to leave one business in Greensboro, and I will NOT return to that business because of the way they handled the situation. I may post on that later.

Big issue is that a majority of eating joints that are not chain fast food serve alcohol, and until that gets fixed (by changing our ridiculous law) then it is hard to run several errands and grab a bite while out with the family. Otherwise, no problems and carry on.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I live in High Point also. I carry and XDM-40, I carry around town, I'm also in k-vegas alot. If you want someone to oc with send me a message, and ill get up with you...I was very nervous the first time i did it, really would have helped me if someone went with me. But anywho, i have the od green with stainless slide(got pretty long and shaggy hair, and normay have a bright green hat.)...If you see me say "HI"

Racer X

imported post

I'm originally from High Point and now living in Thomasville. I still frequent High Point and Greensboro almost daily. I haven't OCed lately due to the weather, but will again once the coats stay in the closet. I haven't been able to attend any of the OC dinners due to my work schedule, but hope to meet up with some of you eventually. I haven't had any "bad" encounters in the area so far. Just take an evening and revisit some of the older posts in the NC section here. There are a lot of good stories. I've heard that going out your first time is easier if you are accompanied by someone with experience. If needed I'm sure that at least one of us could meet up for a little lunch or quick shopping trip. Doesn't hurt to at least ask.

EDIT:

I also see you have "M3" in your user name. A reference to BMW perhaps. I have an E36 M3.

nobama

imported post

Welcome! I live in Kernersville and open carry often, (when my wife isnt with me,she doesnt care for open carry) I do go to dinner with some friends and open carry. The way we do it is just make it a natural act. We dont talk about our rights or this and that in public, we plant the seed, keep it "natural" like wearing shoes and it goes well. On the other hand we are prepared for the worst,but I will not give up my rights to spare someones feelings,unless the owner asks us to leave,Then we must.

Racer X

imported post

Ruger wrote:
[off-topic]

@ Racer X: Is your screenname a reference to the band Racer X?If so, that's cool. I don't find many Racer X fans in these parts (or any parts for that matter!). :cool:

It isn't but I took a listen just now and I like it. I was working on my race car (the actual reference to my screen name) listening to a little Primal Scream the other day.

Luther1517

imported post

Greetings All, I too live in the K-Ville, WS area. I have a CCW but have been OC'ing more just to make a statement and to let people know that NC is an OC state (by default). Many LEO's here are mis-informed about a law on the books--an old common law called "Going Armed to theTerror of the Public". They believe that ANY visible firearm-holstered or not-meets the criteria for the charge. It does not. I am not a lawyer, but the NC Supreme Court in 1968 ruled in the Dawson case that the simple act of carrying a holstered firearm in public DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CRIME. Further, the court ruled that to be convicted of the charge, INTENT TO TERRORIZE must be proved. I bet I have had this discussion with over a dozen LEO's in WS, K-Ville, GSO, ect, and none of them had ever been appraised of this case in their training. It is frighting what theses guys (and gals) on the streets do not know about case law. I would strongly suggest all gun carriers to purchase the book Firearms Law of North Carolina, 2nd ed., by Thomas Faulk, Jr., Attorney, our of Charlotte. And to join the group I am personally active in, GRNC-Grass Roots, NC. We are the people who fought for the states "shall issue" law back in 1994. http://www.grnc.org

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Luther1517 wrote:
Greetings All, I too live in the K-Ville, WS area. I have a CCW but have been OC'ing more just to make a statement and to let people know that NC is an OC state (by default). Many LEO's here are mis-informed about a law on the books--an old common law called "Going Armed to theTerror of the Public". They believe that ANY visible firearm-holstered or not-meets the criteria for the charge. It does not. I am not a lawyer, but the NC Supreme Court in 1968 ruled in the Dawson case that the simple act of carrying a holstered firearm in public DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CRIME. Further, the court ruled that to be convicted of the charge, INTENT TO TERRORIZE must be proved. I bet I have had this discussion with over a dozen LEO's in WS, K-Ville, GSO, ect, and none of them had ever been appraised of this case in their training. It is frighting what theses guys (and gals) on the streets do not know about case law. I would strongly suggest all gun carriers to purchase the book Firearms Law of North Carolina, 2nd ed., by Thomas Faulk, Jr., Attorney, our of Charlotte. And to join the group I am personally active in, GRNC-Grass Roots, NC. We are the people who fought for the states "shall issue" law back in 1994. http://www.grnc.org

We've had many discussions regarding "Going armed..." here on this forum. I can't entirely blame police officers in the field for being ignorant of case law because it is exactly that, case law. Common laws based on old rules and interpretations made in courts of law from old British and Colonial laws. That is no real excuse though as departments are aware of these laws and charges and should be educating their people in the field. If you ask me, if it is not coveredin the NC State Constitution or in the Statutes, then it should not be consideredillegal or a chargeable offense. Some of the other common laws should be definitely covered in the Statutes, such as common law robbery, etc, actual victim-oriented crimes. "Going armed..." honestly can be covered under disturbing the peace or whatever, as it stands, even with the case law that has been decided, that won't keep you from being charged or convicted. One may disagree with what I am saying, but all a prosecutor has to do is convince a jury that your intent, in what ever situation, was to cause terror even though you wereexplicitly doing nothingmore than just carrying a holstered firearm. Case law is cumbersome, horrible, and may be difficult to get around in every case.

nobama

imported post

I talked to a police officer one day about what he thought about OC. He had no problems with it,but if someone calls the cops on you for OC then they have an obligation to check it out,what happens after that is where the rubber meets the road. I think more of them are becoming more educated on this fact.

peanuts

imported post

Please say what business asked you to leave, so I don't spend my money there.