• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P226 Suggested parts?

boredstudent

imported post

Hello, I have a SIG P226 9mm and was wondering if there are any sensible parts I should have as a spare? Im looking to buy this magazine http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=670683 from midway USA. For screwing around in my open field, not for OCing but 27rd clip just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling plus imagine look of terror on face of anyone breaking in at 3am. I hate to waste shipping charges and know most of their coupons for $ off need you to spend at least $50. Im already at 34$ with extra magazine springs.

So springs or anything else that current owners would recommend keeping a spare of? To bump me up a bit. If I end up finding a $10 off $50 code. It really only an extra $6 I would be spending.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For SIGs I only recommend SIG brand mags or Mec-Gar mags. Pretty much everything else doesn't work well. Some new 226 9mms are coming with Check-Mate makes which are proving to work pretty well.

For spare parts I only recommend is a recoil spring.
SIG recommends replacing the recoil spring every 5K rounds or when the muzzle end of the spring starts coming apart.

If replacing at 5K rounds I also recommend replacing the mag springs.
If you have an older folded metal carbon steel slide I recommend changing the decocker spring and breach block pins at 10K rounds.

boredstudent

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
National Magazine is garbage. If you want a higher-cap magazine, get this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=917984

Mec-Gar is the OEM manufacturer of Sig mags, as well as many other companies. I've never had an issue with a Mec-Gar magazine.
I, just wondering if that mec-gar will stick out the bottom.

I'm not expecting much for spending $17 on a national but it looks cool. Might take you up on spending $33 because can't argue with the fact they make the factory ones. Really just want extended mag for fun in the field. due to cheapness of the springs I don't mind having a backup.

Considering the gun used to be used by law enforcement no idea how many rounds put threw it before I laid hands on it, so it might not hurt to do some replacing.