• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent Events Rant

Elysium

imported post

In light of today's recent events in Texas and in recent memory, I think we all should demand that airplanes are regulated more. How many lives are they going to take? We need to crackdown on people who own airplanes. They should have to pass background checks and have a minimum wait of 2 days to purchase an airplane. Also no private party airplane sales.Airplanes are just too dangerous! They just go too fast and carry too much fuel. We should limit the speed on them.I also propose an airplane fuel tax increase. Mandatory ignition locks. Any childwho brings a toy airplane or any aeronautics paraphernalia to school should be expelled. I thinkJohn Denver would agree.Who is with me? We can start a new group, "The Denver Campaign to prevent Airplane Violence.

I am not trying to make light of what happened in Austin or to John Denver. From what I heard no one died except the loon flying the airplane. When I heard this on the news, I was just thinking how foolish the abovewould sound, yet any time a crime is committed with a firearm,the mediacan subsitute gun for airplane in most of those sentances.Crazies are going to try to kill people no matter what. Some guy in Germany just stabbed a whole bunch of people recently. He didn't need a gun, probably couldn't get one with the Draconian laws over there.

Gunsdon't kill people!

protias

imported post

Unfortunately it won't work. I mean, you are far more likely to get in a car accident and die than you are to even be shot. This doesn't stop those who hate us being able to defend ourselves.

http://gunfacts.info/

Landose_theghost

imported post

Sadly, I think you may be right Elysium, be prepared to see all kinds of new FAA regulations on top of the already unconstituional body scanners they are implementing right now. My guess is the ability to obtain a private pilot liscense, or operate any private aircraft will be far out of reach from here on out. And the messed up matter of it all is, this was ONE lone guy, out of Millions of Pilots out there, this guy messes it up for the rest. If forget the classic line, something abouta bad apple and spoiling the bunch?:?Idk, the pieces are all there, but you get what I mean...

Ifurther agree with you, Brady and WAVE and ANTI's should go and attack the pilots with all their BS, and let us be.

-Landose-

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

The level of frustration among our citizenry is growing isn't it?

This poor guy was not a kook but a regular guy like us who couldn't take it anymore.

I'm not condoning it... just sayin'.

Elysium

imported post

a regular guy who was driven to madness. I would say flying a plane into a building is madness.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Really?

How are you going to cash out?

No mention of his wife or kids that I've seen. Debt, disappointment, disillusionment, diseased discomfort are constant companions.

I think that he did better than Buddist monks' self-immolation auto de fe'.

See the 'old guy' thread elsewhere here. He/we have no reason to hold back so get off the porch or lie in the sun with the puppies.

Elysium

imported post

My Idea of "cashing out" would not be taking the most innocent lives with meby crashing a plane into a building. I would hope I would "cash out" in a world that I helped make better by being alive, not by becoming a martyr in vien.

What does auto de fe have to do with Buddist monks anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_de_f%C3%A9

I hope your not trying to say that this guy was right in what he did. What did he acomplish? nothing. In his mind he may have thought that he was doing some great deed, but he is already yesterdays news.

Elysium

imported post

Honestly all I was trying to say with this thread was that no matter what someone is going to try to kill people no matter what laws are in place on guns, planes, drugs, whatever. If there is a will, someone will try. Legislators need to quit enacting more senseless laws on law abiding citizens, especially when it comes to firearms.

Lurchiron

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Elysium wrote:
not be taking the most innocent lives with meby crashing a plane into a building.
There were two deaths, one was the pilot. Now, convince us that federal agents, IRS agents are innocent.
I like you better now Doug...
If you shoot straight, how can ya miss???

kawisixer01

imported post

Thats not funny. I skydive alot in my spare time and you would not believe the amount of cracking down on private aviation the TSA and FAA have been attempting. I belong to an organization (USPA) that, like the NRA, does ALOT of behind the scenes lobbying and fighting to protect the things I love to do. Mind you most skydiving planes at bigger drop zones take off with a min of 15 skydivers on board and the TSA was trying to push a reg that every passenger on a PRIVATE plane with over a certain amount of passengers (8 maybe?) would have required background pass and security screening. Every airport with any commerical flights (alot more fieldsthan you think) would have required a secure area and non secure area. This would have virtually shut down jump operations at every DZ in the nation. You may not think skydiving is a big activity but you would be very surprised to see the amount of people that do it and the amount of money we spend wherever we go. Every time something like this happens in aviation it's another step back and the cronies come out. It's not all that different from what happens whenever there is a high profile shooting.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi