• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why no one invades Switzerland

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
"Why I now love Switzerland."

Me too!

Hey, I see you're a newbie. I am also, joined only a threemonths ago today. So welcome aboard.

I have a house in Highland that I will be visiting next week to prepare it for the new tenants. Originally we had bought it to retire to but health issues has prevented that for now. So in the meantime I have been renting it out. The current tenants have been there for 3.5 year but husband has been transferred to India. He is an Intel executive.

How is the weather there right now? I don't mind the snow, just hope there's no problem on the drive there.

I'm hoping I can meet up with some OC people at a meet. May not happen because I'm only going to be there for three days.

stewie-Y

imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The weather here has been wonderful the past little while. Haven't seen snow in days, but it has rained. Feels like it's moving into Spring but it is supposed to snow sometime soon, which makes me a little sad.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Don't get too excited about Switzerland.

There has been an effort to put more restrictions on guns, who has them and where they are stored. If the anti-gun people are successful, the Swiss will be no different than most other countries. Heck, even in Israel it's not as easy to get a gun or go about beingarmed as you might think. Rules and regulations...and restrictions.

Herearejust two links available re: what is currently (and has been) going on in Switzerland:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/Topics/Guns_In_Switzerland.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,480545,00.html

Let's see how long it is before THEY cave-in togun-control activists trying to prevent "senseless gun-related violence."

Switzerland is CHANGING...let's not be unaware of that. Get the WHOLE picture, and not how it USED to be over there, how it is now, and where it seems to be going.

IMO then, the jury is still out on the Swiss & Guns issue. After all, a headline like this -- "Swiss Vote to Remove Guns from Homes, Ban Some Firearms, Register All" -- does not sound like the "gun paradise" most people think Switzerland is, does it.

-- John D.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

I read your links. Most is old news, going back to 2007. So,did the Democrats get what they wanted?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It doesn't matter if it goes back a few years, if you (meaning the "generic" you) didn't know anything about this issue, then ALL of it is news, right? Old or not. Yet as you could see, it's also CURRENT news, too. Besides, I didsay "what is currently (and has been) going on" so yes, I mean old news, too.

Sinceit HAS been going onfor some years now, why don't more people know about it? Seems like a pretty serious issue for the Swiss (like the Swiss guy in the video the OP linked to), doesn't it? And, for those people here in the US who hold up Switzerland as some kind of pro-gun example yet never speak about the OTHER side of what is going on in that country, meaning more restrictions on guns.

For years people have used Switzerland as an example of some kind of staunchly pro-guncitizenry and therefore a gun paradise...I'm just saying things are changing there. And have been. Maybe the more "civilized" people get, the more naive and stupid they also become. If you want to know more about what's happening in Switzerland,research it further -- Google is your friend.

It may come to pass that AMERICA will be the onlycountry on the planet that will be as close as it gets to true gun/2nd Amendment/RKBA/self-defense freedom. I hope the trend in THIS country to gain more such pro-gun freedomwill continue.

And I'd like to seeall the states on the same page. For example,to see Hawaii get fromits sorry, gun-unfriendly, oppressive 50th (?) state ranking to a Gold Star Carry State...kicking that off effort withgetting SHALL ISSUE CC.

-- John D.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
If you want to know more about what's happening in Switzerland,research it further -- Google is your friend.

It may come to pass that AMERICA will be the onlycountry on the planet that will be as close as it gets to true gun/2nd Amendment/RKBA/self-defense freedom. I hope the trend in THIS country to gain more such pro-gun freedomwill continue.

And I'd like to seeall the states on the same page. For example,to see Hawaii get fromits sorry, gun-unfriendly, oppressive 50th (?) state ranking to a Gold Star Carry State...kicking that off effort withgetting SHALL ISSUE CC.

-- John D.

I am from Hawaii and I can tell you, it will NEVER be a gun-friendly state. Never! Reason? Why it's because it's been a bastion of liberal Democrats since the state was formed back in Aug. 1959. As a cop Ihave seenthird and fourth generation welfare recipients. I patrolled every low-income project from Mayor Wright (on foot) to KPT (mostly Pacific Islanders) and 52 years ago, as a Territory, those same people would vote democrat because there was always that *hope* that was promised to them. The hope never arrived, it is always in the future, never in the present. The democrats want the state to be a gun-free state much as it is a snake-free state. California is not too far behind. But watch the polls, things are a changing. And watch what will happen in 2012. Alas, Hawaii will remain stuck in it's same politicallyliberal hole. But the people will continue to vote democrat because of the same old story, the offer of hope. The poor that were poor 51 years ago are still poor.

Back to Switzerland. I'll check out what's the latest using google. Thanks.

oh, Hawaii is the 50th state. Alaska was 49th.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I meant 50th not in whenHI became a state, but how far down on the list of the 50 states itranks re: gun rights (not including sorry DC of course, which is nota state).

But I was just guessing the #50. I mean, maybe a state is WORSE than HI on gun rights, I don't know, but I DO know Hawaii sure is repressive. And it's all Steve McGarrett's fault. ;-)

Check out Israel, too...it also is used as a example of "gun freedom" and like Switzerland, I'm not sure it SHOULD be.

-- John D.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I meant 50th not in whenHI became a state, but how far down on the list of the 50 states itranks re: gun rights (not including sorry DC of course, which is nota state).

-- John D.

Got it. I mistakenly thought the (?) was there because you weren't sure if it was the 50th state. I see what you mean now.

I've been doing a little research and althoughHI ranks up there with the states that are not gun friendly it seems that there are a few states even worse. New Jersey stands out. Massachusetts is up there too. Rhode Island, Maryland, Connecticut, and New York are other gun-unfriendly states. But the winner is California for being the worst. Hawaii would rank 8th worse.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

KBCraig

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Don't get too excited about Switzerland.
The problem Switzerland faces is the effort to change it from a confederation to a nation.

America lost that battle in 1865.

ProTELL (as in "William Tell") is the big national Swiss gun rights organization, but they're closer to GOA/JPFO than they are to NRA.

http://www.protell.ch/

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Why it's because it's been a bastion of liberal Democrats since the state was formed back in Aug. 1959.
The Democratic party was a very different beast back then. In 1959 the Democratic party was still the party of the "Solid South". The Republican party was the party of leftism and Progressivism in the early half of the 20th century.

Which means that either your history is wrong, or they were some usual Democrats for their time.

Perhaps someone can fill in the gaps of understanding here?

Dreamer

imported post

The REAL reason nobody invades Switzerland is because it's COLD AS F#^% there...

That, and the fact that the people who actually control every military on the planet have their personal, numbered, tax-sheltered bank accounts there... ;)

I mean really, who really cares about a nation that is the size of Delaware, is nothing but alpine mountains, and has as it's main industries, banking, watchmaking and chocolate? The only people interested in the resources of Switzerland are Euro-trash trust-fund kids and professional snowboarders...

Haz.

imported post

Hi. It was the same in Australia once apon a time. The Japanese Imperialarmy sent spies into our country during the second world war before they bombed Darwin.They did intend to invade Australia but the spies reported back that most Australian men were armed and had several rifles in their homes and they knew how to use them. Invasion might not be a good idea.

Since then, themajority of Law abiding citizens have handed in their firearmsafter the Howard Liberal governments banning and buy back. What we have now is rising crime as we have never seen before. Rape, not only of young women but the elderly. Home invasions of the most violent kind. Daily brutal street bashings in every city. People are locking themselves away in fear every night afraid to go out. The criminal element in our society are having a field day. Funnily enough the criminals in Australia never handed in their firearms.

Haz.

flying_174

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Check out Israel, too...it also is used as a example of "gun freedom" and like Switzerland, I'm not sure it SHOULD be.

I think the thing that does make Israel free is their govement has put regulations on the guns not on the people, and these regulations are seen as safety precautions not gun control. In most countries with gun control including the US when restrictions are put in place they are put in place on the citizens, not on the government or law enforcement. In Israel their government has put restrictions on the guns themselves and all are to abide by the regulations whether you are law enforcement military or an average citizen.
One of the most common regulations is that you are not allowed to carry a firearm chambered. This regulation applies to anyone who carries a gun, no matter who you are or how you are carrying.
I would have absoloutly no problem living in a country where you can not get a concealed carry permit unless you have good and sufficient reason, but where everyone 14 years or older regardless of age, race, government status, or anything else is allowed to openly carry a loaded but un-chambered firearm, and have the comfort of knowing that your government does not want to take away your guns.

eye95

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
you also have to be Jewish to own and carry there, unless you're in the military, but only when on duty.
Do you have to be Jewish or a citizen? Israel has many non-Jewish citizens. Are you saying that they are not allowed to own or carry?