• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lost guns

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/national/main6219663.shtm

• Federal law enforcement officers don't always secure their weapons while they're securing the homeland and end up losing their guns on the job, according to a report from the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general. (AP)
(CBS) Federal law enforcement officers don't always secure their weapons while they're securing the homeland and end up losing their guns on the job, according to a report from the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general.

Nearly 200 weapons - including handguns, shotguns and military rifles - were misplaced from 2006 through 2008, left behind in such places as a fast-food restaurant's restroom, a bowling alley and on a car's bumper, as explained in ]http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-02-17-lost-guns_N.htm]a USA Today article[/url] on the report.

At least 15 of those weapons got into the hands of gang members, criminals, drug users and teenagers, inspector general Richard Skinner found. He listed the total number of guns lost at 289. Some were lost during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina or were stolen from safes.

The inspector general's report doesn't say whether any of the lost guns were used in crimes, USA Today reports.

The department "took immediate action" to correct problems, spokeswoman Amy Kudwa told the newspaper. Homeland Security is giving workers additional training and improving how guns are tracked and inspected, Kudwa told the newspaper.

"The department is strongly committed to ensuring that weapons ... are kept secure," Kudwa told the newspaper.

warrior1978

imported post

Yooper wrote:
I think we need to implement smart gun technology for government issued guns, since they can't keep control of them, but expect us too.

If you lose a gun or has a gun stolen, are you likely to be charged with a crime? The answer is no but you are required to report the theft or loss.

If a government employee loses a firearm, rest assured, it does not go unnoticed. I'm sure if there is a pattern of behavior or two firearms are lost by the same individual, there are sufficient grounds for dismissal.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

A few years ago I stopped into a MSP outpost on Grange Hall rd. and Dixie Hwy, and waited for 15 minutes at the front desk until someone finally showed up. Behind the front desk sat about 10 to 15 gun cases, unlocked, and unattended. I couldnt resist mensioning to the officer who arrived, that I knew what was in those cases, and they really shouldnt be where they were. OH, you shoulda seen the look I got for that one !! They immediately started taking those cases out to the back. LMAO