Thread: New to the forums!

Post imported post

Hey. After stumbling upon this site and reading a little bit of the forums my interest was peaked.

A little bit about me:
    Currently in American Fork, Utah.
    17 years old(Will be 18 on March 31).
    In a household with around 13-15 guns, personally own 3(9mm Pistol, .22 Ruger w/ scope, 12ga Mossberg).

Seeing as I am turning 18 next month I wanted to know my rights on open carrying in Utah. I think that you must be 21 to get a CCW Permit, so I'll hold off on that for a few more years.
    I was wondering about an 18 year old's Open Carrying rights in Utah. Can I at 18 open carry a pistol, or must I continue to wait until I am 21?

Thanks!

Post imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
    I was wondering about an 18 year old's Open Carrying rights in Utah. Can I at 18 open carry a pistol, or must I continue to wait until I am 21?
    Welcome to OCDO!

At 18, open carry is the ONLY way you can carry in Utah, unless you have a permit from a State such as Maine, that will issue to 18 year olds.

Assuming that your pistol is an auto loader, just make sure to keep the chamber empty. The mag may be as full as you want.

And stay away from those pesky school zones until you have a permit as well. :?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Thank you.

SGT Jensen wrote:
    At 18, open carry is the ONLY way you can carry in Utah, unless you have a permit from a State such as Maine, that will issue to 18 year olds.
    Alright, cool. I was pretty confused with people saying that I could open carry at 18 and some saying I couldn't then I was saddened when I went to this page(OCDO's map) and it said in Utah the age to OC is 21. Is OCDO's map an error or was I interpreting it incorrectly?

Post imported post

The OCDO maps are for LOADED open carry. In Utah, a permit is required for loaded carry. (On public streets)
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Sweet. Thank you.

Post imported post

stewie-Y,

Do you know about the open carry dinner in Provo next Friday night? You wouldn't be able to carry yet, but it would be good to meet a lot of OCers who could answer more questions for you. It's at the iBuffet at 7:00 p.m.

Post imported post

Welcome from SLC!

Post imported post

Braveheart23C wrote:
    You wouldn't be able to carry yet
    Sure he could. Open carry of unloaded long rifles and shotguns with parental permission is lawful for persons under 18 in Utah. :P

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    Braveheart23C wrote:
    You wouldn't be able to carry yet
    Sure he could.* Open carry of unloaded long rifles and shotguns with parental permission is lawful for persons under 18 in Utah.* :P
    Hehe, show up with an AR-15 strapped to my back.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

Post imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
    I think that you must be 21 to get a CCW Permit, so I'll hold off on that for a few more years.
    If you want a permit, so you can carry concealed or loaded, you may apply for a permit from the State of Maine.

They will issue permits to persons 18 and over, and Utah will honor it. More information about Maine permits can be found here.

Post imported post

You will have fun OCing in utah!! Its a great state to carry in, thats for sure :P

Hows Kommiefornia, Sgt. Jensen! I'm goin on over there on sunday, comeover and say bye to me!

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    Hows Kommiefornia, Sgt. Jensen
    "F" this place... you can have it. :P Disneyland was OK, their security was just as tight as Energy Solutions Arena.