• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forums!

stewie-Y

imported post

Hey. After stumbling upon this site and reading a little bit of the forums my interest was peaked.

A little bit about me:
Currently in American Fork, Utah.
17 years old(Will be 18 on March 31).
In a household with around 13-15 guns, personally own 3(9mm Pistol, .22 Ruger w/ scope, 12ga Mossberg).

Seeing as I am turning 18 next month I wanted to know my rights on open carrying in Utah. I think that you must be 21 to get a CCW Permit, so I'll hold off on that for a few more years.
I was wondering about an 18 year old's Open Carrying rights in Utah. Can I at 18 open carry a pistol, or must I continue to wait until I am 21?

Thanks!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
I was wondering about an 18 year old's Open Carrying rights in Utah. Can I at 18 open carry a pistol, or must I continue to wait until I am 21?
Welcome to OCDO! :monkey

At 18, open carry is the ONLY way you can carry in Utah, unless you have a permit from a State such as Maine, that will issue to 18 year olds.

Assuming that your pistol is an auto loader, just make sure to keep the chamber empty. The mag may be as full as you want. :D

And stay away from those pesky school zones until you have a permit as well. :?

stewie-Y

imported post

Thank you.

SGT Jensen wrote:
At 18, open carry is the ONLY way you can carry in Utah, unless you have a permit from a State such as Maine, that will issue to 18 year olds.

Alright, cool. I was pretty confused with people saying that I could open carry at 18 and some saying I couldn't then I was saddened when I went to this page(OCDO's map) and it said in Utah the age to OC is 21. Is OCDO's map an error or was I interpreting it incorrectly?

Braveheart23C

imported post

stewie-Y,

Do you know about the open carry dinner in Provo next Friday night? You wouldn't be able to carry yet, but it would be good to meet a lot of OCers who could answer more questions for you. It's at the iBuffet at 7:00 p.m.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
I think that you must be 21 to get a CCW Permit, so I'll hold off on that for a few more years.
If you want a permit, so you can carry concealed or loaded, you may apply for a permit from the State of Maine.

They will issue permits to persons 18 and over, and Utah will honor it. More information about Maine permits can be found here.

b1ack5mith

imported post

You will have fun OCing in utah!! :D Its a great state to carry in, thats for sure :p

Hows Kommiefornia, Sgt. Jensen! I'm goin on over there on sunday, comeover and say bye to me! :(