• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the city of Sparks

Tony Gable

imported post

I was in Scheels the other day and talking to one of the guys in the gun department.

The subject of Oc came up and he said he thought the city of Sparks recently passed an ordinance banning open carry. Is there any truth to this? I'm real curious.

Thanks,

Tony:question:

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WOW! Fantastic!

I just sent the link over to the DA's office and to the AG's office. Now we'll just have to see what they have to say. I think it'd be pretty ironic for Boulder City to admit publicly they can't enforce the laws on the books, followed shortly thereafter by the AG saying the SB92 amendment to NRS applies only to registration.

Tim

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
WOW! Fantastic!

I just sent the link over to the DA's office and to the AG's office. Now we'll just have to see what they have to say. I think it'd be pretty ironic for Boulder City to admit publicly they can't enforce the laws on the books, followed shortly thereafter by the AG saying the SB92 amendment to NRS applies only to registration.

Tim
And our local (Fallon) City Attorney also agrees that SB-92 preempts.

renoglock22

imported post

Tony Gable wrote:
I was in Scheels the other day and talking to one of the guys in the gun department.

The subject of Oc came up and he said he thought the city of Sparks recently passed an ordinance banning open carry. Is there any truth to this? I'm real curious.

Thanks,

Tony:question:
You can OC in Sparks but not in Scheels. Since Scheels is at the Legends and the Legends is private property they don't want firearms there. The manager at Scheels was really nice when informing me of the rules. He didn't ask me to leave, he just informed me of the Legends policy and I said that is fine and took the gun to my car and went back to shop.

renoglock22

imported post

It wasn't Scheels policy, it was the land owners policy according to the manager. I looked up Scheels website for their policy about OC and Scheels supports OC. Bottom line is the manager was very very polite so why argue and start a fight that didn't need to be started.

renoglock22

imported post

That is true, I have read other threads about people having problems at that development site. Scheel's is a large sporting goods store. They also sell a crap load of guns and anything to go with them. I also noticed there is nothing at either entrance saying firearms are prohibited.

jfrey123

imported post

They're a part of the Legends Shopping Center, and Legends is anti gun per their Code of Conduct.

Legend's website is down, but we discussed #16 on their COC in this thread.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=25819&forum_id=36&highlight=legends

Their policy carries no weight of law, so I continue to CC when I'm forced to go there. But OC will probably bring their rent-a-cops to issue a tresspass.

jfrey123

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
And what is Scheels?
Scheels is a large chain of sporting goods stores. This one in Sparks is the largest in the country and has a huge gun dept that allows you to fondle the rifles with no clear present.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
But OC will probably bring their rent-a-cops to issue a tresspass.
My feeling on this is to just leave when they ask you to. If they say they're issuing a trespass, just ignore them and continue walking out. DO NOT SHOW THEM IDENTIFICATION or otherwise answer any questions that would help them identify you by name.

It's technically a civil issue at that point, and police should not get involved.

renoglock22

imported post

So I am currently sitting at the sparks marina. I walked all the way around with gun on hip. Never got a second look. As I got to the ranger station where the rules were actually posted, it said no weapons including firearms. I thought state parks and stuff were ok for OC. Does anyone know anything about this?

jfrey123

imported post

renoglock22 wrote:
So I am currently sitting at the sparks marina. I walked all the way around with gun on hip. Never got a second look. As I got to the ranger station where the rules were actually posted, it said no weapons including firearms. I thought state parks and stuff were ok for OC. Does anyone know anything about this?

There is a Sparks Municipal Code banning guns in any city park unless the owner has a CCW and carries within the guidelines of the permit. The SB92 "State Preemption" nullifies any city or county code, as the State is reserving the ability to regulate carry/possession/registration of guns. The SMC is still on the books, but unenforcable.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Originally passed as Assembly Bill (AB) 147 in 1989, state preemption grandfathered in old ordinances in effect prior to 1989. Senate Bill (SB) 92 was passed in 2007 and removed those grandfathered ordinances. Under State law, the only legal gun laws in this state are:

Federal Gun Laws
State Gun Laws
Local (County, City, or Township) regulating discharge
Clark County handgun registration

Any other gun law that exists on the books is unlawful, void, and unenforceable, including any signs or rules at a City marina or park.