• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm now the proud owner of a 1911

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Ladies and gentlemen of WA OCDO, it is my pleasure to announce that I am now the proud owner of a Rock Island Armory compact officer's model 1911. Bought it like new in box with one magazine and 52 rounds of factory reloads.

Any suggestions on magazine manufacturers? How about aftermarket parts? I'd like to do something with the sights on this thing.

1245A Defender

imported post

Congrats!!! ive heard you should get the best mags! dont know the name, god i feel stupid,, there is an add in shotgunnews,, i still feel stupid,, he did a challange to shoot like 5000rds with no failures,, and they worked!!
im looking for a 45 too

.45ACPaddy

imported post

picture38.jpg

picture37x.jpg

picture36j.jpg

picture35q.jpg

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
I believe the Wilson Combat mags are the best. The follower is real nice. I'd stay away from the Chip McCormic mags.

I've had 5 different Kimbers, all inside their supposed 1500 round break-in period (where jams were to be expected) and I've never experienced a jam in one of them. Reasoning behind this, is that I've NEVER fed a Kimber (or any other 1911) with anything but Wilson Combat mags. I throw away the 'craptory' mags and stick with the Wilsons. The model you'll be looking for is the 47-OX model. They are 7-rd mags, so you even get one extra round in capacity over the standard "Officer's size" mags. Good luck!

-G20

Trigger Dr

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
Congrats!!! ive heard you should get the best mags! dont know the name, god i feel stupid,, there is an add in shotgunnews,, i still feel stupid,, he did a challange to shoot like 5000rds with no failures,, and they worked!!
im looking for a 45 too
There are a bunch of these on Gunbroker.com being sold by a dealer. $365.00

fetch

imported post

G22paddy, Good job on the RIA. Since everything is over priced, kimbers, glocks, and others it is good to see a medium priced 45. I have the RIA 45 GI type, no bells, no whistles. A solid gun. A friend of mine and I have put many rounds in the ten ring at 25 yards. I practice and shoot it one handed. The picture of mine is to the left.

sirpuma

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
great Youtube video on Full disassembly.... (minus the extractor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyM8bbEKV98
Saw a similar video and had it completely disassembled within 30 minutes of getting it home.

What's that tattoo on his hand?
Lol....hawaiian ex gang members posting gun disassembling tutorials on youtube...
3 dots in a triangle is a common sign of a blood....
Or maybe it means something else to him? Either way, wrong people see that, he could end up hurt.

shad0wfax

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
great Youtube video on Full disassembly.... (minus the extractor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyM8bbEKV98
Saw a similar video and had it completely disassembled within 30 minutes of getting it home.

What's that tattoo on his hand?
Lol....hawaiian ex gang members posting gun disassembling tutorials on youtube...
3 dots in a triangle is a common sign of a blood....
Or maybe it means something else to him? Either way, wrong people see that, he could end up hurt.
Yes, it's gang.

No it's not likely Hawaiian.

Those 3 dots are normally the [size="-1"]Sureños, or Sur 13. They're a Hispanic gang that originated in southern California. They use those 3 dots, [/size]XIII, X3, 13 or Sur 13 in their tagging and/or tattoos.

I would hesitate to follow their advice on care and maintenance of a 1911 for obvious reasons.

antispam540

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen of WA OCDO, it is my pleasure to announce that I am now the proud owner of a Rock Island Armory compact officer's model 1911. Bought it like new in box with one magazine and 52 rounds of factory reloads.

Any suggestions on magazine manufacturers? How about aftermarket parts? I'd like to do something with the sights on this thing.
Congrats! My Springfield 1911-A1 is my favoritest-ever gun, and I've heard great things about the RIA 1911s. I have adjustable sights on mine, which is really handy (for me, at least). If you get them, I'd suggest getting a front sight with a tritium element in it for night-time aiming.

For aftermarket parts, I got a Hogue rubber wrap-around grip that bolts into the regular grip sockets, and it does *wonders* for keeping a steady no-slip grip without hurting your hands. I also added an ambidextrous safety selector, since I used to have two 1911s and shoot them at the same time. I've added a plastic magazine well that is held on by a long pin that replaces the one holding in the mainspring housing, so no modification of the frame was needed.
I changed the straight mainspring housing to a curved one, which also helped the grip, and I replaced the grip safety with a beaver tail (ESSENTIAL for 1911s, as slide bite can be a REAL problem with large hands, and it helps you grip it high up on the frame for increased recoil management).
I replaced the stock magazine release with an extended stainless steel release. It's not large enough to be hit accidentally, but it's easier to find than the regular one.

Inside the gun, I replaced the hammer with a match-grade low-weight one and put in a 3-pound trigger pull kit (polished sear, etc.). I also replaced the stock trigger with an open-frame polymer one, but that isn't very important except for adjusting how much slop is in the trigger pull.

Something I'd recommend if you're doing a lot of target shooting: I replaced the barrel bushing with a bushing-attachment compensator. It reduced recoil a fair amount, and made my 25-yard groups go from 5 inches to 2.5 - partly because it's a tighter fit around the barrel.

Note: this is not how I hold the gun when shooting, to pre-empt any criticism in that area.
1911_2010_1.jpg
1911_2010_2.jpg

1911_2010_3.jpg

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I do agree that it is of hispanic origin, you can tell by his voice, but I am sure if you seen his username "king of 808" you would realize 808 area code is in hawaii.

However I have met a sureno and he doesn't have no 3 dot tattoo. He got that mother maria and all this other crazy crap all over his chest.

BTW, he does have a lot of review videos om his account, so maybe he just made a mistake in the past, everyone does right? ;)