• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm now the proud owner of a 1911

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Took my 1911 out yesterday, and holy crap, it has a few issues.

Slide isn't locking open on the last shot, sometimes locking open halfway. The mag followers seem to be pushing up and past the slide stop lever. When the slide stops half way, it's because the slide stop lever is starting to come out of the frame and it's catching in the disassembly notch on the slide.

It's also having feeding issues. Most of the time the round gets stuck on the feed ramp before even leaving the magazine.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Welcome to the 1911 world... Sounds like par for the course.

Get some better mags and keep shooting it. 1911's do need a little extra care, but you'll be ok after a few hundred rounds.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

That's the thing, this pistol now has about 300 rounds through it, and it was doing it with a Wilson Combat mag! I was told that if the mags don't come up high enough in the frame that the slide would only be catching the very top of the round and driving it into the feed ramp.

Here's what the mags look like in the frame:

Wilson Combat
picture44h.jpg

Original
picture45u.jpg

You can tell the followers are definitely rising high enough in the next two. The springs are fairly firm too.

WC
picture46m.jpg

Original
picture47k.jpg

I'm no expert but it sure seems like there's not much to grab on to for the slide stop lever. Check these out.

WC
picture48i.jpg

Original
picture49a.jpg

As for hanging up on the feed ramp, could it be solved by having it professionally polished?

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Pat, I hate to say it but, this is why I got rid of my Kimber and got a Glock. These problems you're having are nothing new, but are not un-fixable. I just don't, personally, want to take the time and money to keep a 1911 running.

3oo rounds through it isn't very much. Get 600 or 800 through it and it should smooth out. I just couldn't trust my Kimber to be reliable enough for me. And if you don't trust a gun, it shouldn't be carried. Hopefully you still have your G23 you can carry durring your break-in period with your 1911. It'll get there, just takes some time that you have to be willing to invest in it.

:D

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Sadly I traded the Glock for a Stoeger Cougar, some ammo and two nice leather holsters (Thanks G20IWB24/7!!). Previously made by Beretta, the equipment was shipped to Turkey to Stoeger, a subsidiary of Beretta. So it's basically a re-branded Beretta. Same quality! Very similar to the 92, but a shorter barrel and different slide. Same mags except the position of the magazine catch slot, which is easily fixed by a dremel tool and some touch up bluing to prevent rust. The one factory mag and the three modified mags have all run flawless so far for over 500 rounds. I tried wearing the 1911 around the house for a little bit and it DISAPPEARS under my hoodie, and I could get away with CC with just a t-shirt.

I may see if someone wants to trade for a Glock 19 or a Glock 26 if it gets too frustrating, but I love the trigger on it!

I could also use an AR of some sort. AK-47s shoot cheap ammo, which is more college student budget friendly. Anyone interested?

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
I have been trying to get my weapon to Jam, but it Just Won't!

What AM I doing wrong?
Owning a wheelgun, that's what!

Just traded it for an AK like I wanted!

.45ACPaddy

imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
picture51d.jpg

How's that? I even have a hat to match! Actually, it's kind of an oxymoron... It's a commie gun with a capitalist pig stock. Heck of a shooter according to a very trustworthy source, I can't wait to get it to the range!

Now accepting 7.62 x 39 ammo donations...:lol:

1245A Defender

imported post

i got mine,, basic black plastic stock,, nothin fancy!
about 6 months ago, with 280 rds, and 4 mags, for 575$!!!!
still havent gone out to shoot it!!:cuss::banghead::shock:

BTW yours looks real nice,, gonna have some fun!! what did you pay? last liar wins!:?

Wheelgunner

imported post

Nicely Done!

I did not mean to be overly snarky, but the short slide 1911 tend to be very unreliable unless hand position, grip, ammo, magazine are all working together. If you were to transition to weak hand in the middle of a fight and it jammed at the moment of truth, well you know.

For a replacement, may I be so bold as to recommend an "L" frame 7 shot 357 mag. Your wife could hold it upside down in her weak and and it would still go bang every time, it weighs the same as your little 1911 and is lovely to boot.

Enclosed:

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Well, I love my Stoeger and its 15+1 capacity, and I've yet to experience a jam, regardless of weak hand or strong hand, and I even tried intentionally limp wristing, still wouldn't jam!