Thread: OC Shoulder holster.

Post imported post

I tried using the search, and didn't find any info too helpful, I apologize if this has been covered and i'm just posting again.

Does anyone OC in a shoulder rig?

I have read that it gets bashed by experts because the barrel of your weapon is pointing back at whoever is standing behind you.

This is the most comfortable style of wear for me, and i'm going to want to carry my gun in one. I'm not worried about confrontation, or AD, i'm just asking for opinions, and helpful info.

Also, if anyone does use one, what brand/style? And what type of gun do you use it for?
    I have been shopping around, and I believe that if it's something that you're going to be wearing daily, and want to be comfortable, then the high prices wont matter.

Also, i'm mostly interested in carrying a 4inch barrel revolver in it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Coupe.

Post imported post

get a vertical rig,, then no worries about flagging the folks,, i think its fits closer to the body too.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

I've been looking, do you know if/where there is one with a little angle to it? you know, so its more diagonal than straight up and down vertical? Think it would be more comfortable for wear and less awkward to draw.

Post imported post

I carry in a galco verticle should holster all the time. It's my preferred method of carry. I do recommend going with the vertical though and not the horizontal, not that you can't, just my preference.

I don't know of any that are angled, but they might be out there. If you find one, let me know. I might be interested.

I'll also carry in a serpa or IWB Kramer depending on circumstances. Always nice to have options.

I don't have any problems drawing from my vertical holster, although I can definitely tell it's a slight bit slower than from say my serpa. But, it's more comfortable, convenient and I feel a little more secure having it in front of me, rather than to the side. Just me though.

E.T.A. - Also, if someone asks you to cover it up, it makes it much easier to be able to tell them that it's simply impossible to do at the moment.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

Post imported post

Like kenshin, I carry with a Galco shoulder holster. When I carried concealed exclusively, I carried a Glock 17 horizontally but when I put it on for open carry and realized that the muzzle of the Glock would be visibly pointing at people behind me, I got a vertical setup, again Galco. I currently carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig because it's easier to draw while seated in the car, in case of a " jackin' ." Possibly you could adjust the straps to angle the top of the holster foreward. I never even thought of doing that!

MD

Post imported post

Machoduck wrote:
    Like kenshin, I carry with a Galco shoulder holster. When I carried concealed exclusively, I carried a Glock 17 horizontally but when I put it on for open carry and realized that the muzzle of the Glock would be visibly pointing at people behind me, I got a vertical setup, again Galco. I currently carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig because it's easier to draw while seated in the car, in case of a " jackin' ." Possibly you could adjust the straps to angle the top of the holster foreward. I never even thought of doing that!

MD
    From time to time I carry in a Galco "******* Rig" which is a horizontal holster. Question, why would one worry about the muzzle pointing at anyone behind them when OC'ing. Would a light shirt or jacket covering the muzzle make is safer?

A holstered gun with no finger on the trigger is about as safe as they get. As for the old horizontal carry being unsafe because the muzzle is pointing at someone argument, why not just brand all methods of carry unsafe? When one carrys in a cross-draw holster a similar argument can be made. Even drawing from a strong side, vertical holster, can be unsafe if proper technique is not used. You know, the one where you keep your finger off the trigger when drawing or holstering. Forget that and EVERY manner of carry is unsafe. Practice it always and your gun will be as safe as it gets.

All this said, carry in a manner that is comfortable.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    Machoduck wrote:

MD
    From time to time I carry in a Galco "******* Rig" which is a horizontal holster. Question, why would one worry about the muzzle pointing at anyone behind them when OC'ing. Would a light shirt or jacket covering the muzzle make is safer?

A holstered gun with no finger on the trigger is about as safe as they get. As for the old horizontal carry being unsafe because the muzzle is pointing at someone argument, why not just brand all methods of carry unsafe? When one carrys in a cross-draw holster a similar argument can be made. Even drawing from a strong side, vertical holster, can be unsafe if proper technique is not used. You know, the one where you keep your finger off the trigger when drawing or holstering. Forget that and EVERY manner of carry is unsafe. Practice it always and your gun will be as safe as it gets.

All this said, carry in a manner that is comfortable.
    It's not that it's unsafe in my opinion, just that I want to portray a certain approachability when OCing so that I can take a moment to talk with people and help educate them. And I don't think the person standing behind me in line at the grocery store is going to be very talkative if they have to look down my barrel.

That and I think it's just a little bit of courtesy, I know some people are uncomfortable around firearms and I don't want to make them more uncomfortable by having one pointed at them as long as I'm still able to exercise my rights.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

Post imported post

It's not that it's unsafe in my opinion, just that I want to portray a certain approachability when OCing so that I can take a moment to talk with people and help educate them. And I don't think the person standing behind me in line at the grocery store is going to be very talkative if they have to look down my barrel.

That and I think it's just a little bit of courtesy, I know some people are uncomfortable around firearms and I don't want to make them more uncomfortable by having one pointed at them as long as I'm still able to exercise my rights.
    Yeah, I agree. Those of us who OC don't give much weight to those who complain about feeling uncomfortable about seeing an openly carried weapon (and I am with you). But, since most people don't understand that a gun in a holster is safe, I can totally understand someone feeling very uncomfortable staring into the barrel of a holstered gun.
    IBTL

Post imported post

kenshin wrote:

Then merely get a shoulder holster with a closed end. No muzzle visible. Or just put some black "gaffer's tape" (it's like duct tape but is made of black cloth, no shine) over the end of the holster.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    kenshin wrote:

Then merely get a shoulder holster with a closed end. No muzzle visible. Or just put some black "gaffer's tape" (it's like duct tape but is made of black cloth, no shine) over the end of the holster.
    Hey! Don't talk about the tape. Needing to vertical carry was my excuse for buying another holster.

Seriously, my problem with horizontal carry was simple good manners and common sense. Most people, myself included, don't care to look down the barrel of a gun unless the action is open. Besides, how can you claim to be an ordinary well mannered citizen after you've practically forced someone to stare down a gun barrel? I was visualizing standing in line in some store, where the person behind me might be uncomfortable.

MD