• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poppin' the OC Cherry

buyUSorDIEinDET

imported post

After learning my laws about OC and doing some research / fact finding utilizing the Oakland County Sherriff’s Department, Lake Orion Clerks Office, and talking with a knowledgeable and friendly Scott W. the SE representative over at M.O.C. I decided that last night would be my first open carry experience. I do not have my CPL so I was extremely nervous to pop my cherry. I decided to take my dog for a walk around my neighborhood with my Springfield SA-40 XD w/Blackhawk holster strapped to the belt. I walked the neighborhood from around 7pm- 8 without incident but couldn’t stop fidgeting. I seemed to be very concerned about making sure my pistol was always visible so that my fleece wouldn’t conceal it. I think I’m experiencing what others called the red flag syndrome. Even though I walked around during the evening where my pistol probably wasn’t even that visible and many people where in their houses I feel like my nerves weren’t tested. I almost feel like I need to have a run in with the law to test the waters of it being OK. Anyone else experience this feeling? Also anyone run into Oakland County Sherriff’s or L.O. Leo’s and how was your experience? I hope to have a very public OC experience soon.

eastmeyers

imported post

I can only think of one experience that MOC members have had with OCSD, and they were called out by an off-duty Troy officer. They were harassed, but shortly after apologies were made by Sheriff Boushard himself. If I'm not mistaken, which I could be. Now me personally I'm not nervous, never have been, which may be because I did security before hand and OC'd everyday at work... Also just because you see people talk on here, and see videos of police harassment, does NOT mean it will happen. I've been OC'n for two years, (and live in Oakland County), and NEVER been stopped. Now I only OC about 25% of the time (outside of work). For me I OC/CC whichever is more convenient, it all depends weather or not my shirt is tucked in or not, obviously summer its closer to 50% / 50% (I have my CPL). Maybe I don't get stopped because I look like a cop, or so everyone says.

Well anyways, be safe, be careful, be alert, be knowledgeable, and don't wait for police interaction, if they don't come that's good, that means that you both are most likely obeying the law. If you really want a cop in your town to know your OC'n and do it positively than go to your local coffee-cop hang out, and buy one sitting by himself/herself a cup of coffee.

EM87

imported post

A great place to begin getting comfortable with OC would be one of the get-togethers that are organized on this site. Take a look at the OC events thread and see if there's anything in your area. If not, plan an event yourself! It's as easy as setting a date, time, and location. Trust me, I've done it. :)

Michigander

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
I can only think of one experience that MOC members have had with OCSD, and they were called out by an off-duty Troy officer. They were harassed, but shortly after apologies were made by Sheriff Boushard himself. If I'm not mistaken, which I could be.
Not quite, but almost.

The Troy officer was there, and cooperated with the OCSD officers, (who by the way were acting quite obnoxiously, and saying some rather actionable things against us. ) But it wasn't the off duty Troy officer that called 911. It was the manager of the Boston Market that we were at, with permission. She was very good at talking out of both sides of her mouth, calling the cops, and then later telling us she didn't know who called, and that she was on our side.

I contacted the Chief of Troy after the OCSD had trained every officer in their department, (quite quickly and thoroughly just like the Sheriff said he would have done). The Chief told me that they worked with the OCSD to retrain all of their officers as well. And it appears to show, because I haven't heard of any incidents ever happening in Troy.

eastmeyers

imported post

I OC in Troy all the time, heck if I'm at my brothers (who lives in an apartment building) he makes me OC, because then the neighboors turn their music down for a few days!!! He loves it when I come over, he keeps asking me to bring the 870! LOL, I really need to buy him a high point for his birthday, something I can afford to give...

Slugslinger

imported post

buyUSorDIEinDET wrote:
Anyone else experience this feeling? Also anyone run into Oakland County Sheriff’s or L.O. Leo’s and how was your experience? I hope to have a very public OC experience soon.

I live in Big Rapids and before I ever open carried I called the Sheriff and asked them about how to get my pistol to...say...a spot on the river where I want to OC. The police said that If I were to take my pistol, by car, to anywhere other than hunting, target,etc (I'm sure you know that part) that I would be concealing and breaking the law. He did, however, say "you can walk all over town with your pistol, provided it's legal and registered" Then I got the standard lecturer about why do you want to OC -your asking for trouble- people will call us. I explained that I was looking to have les trouble since my family was attacked in that area. I also said that this was also a courtesy to let them know I would be OC ing. Kind of like a verbal burn permit, hey I will be there so when you get a call this is what to expect.

I've OC'd all up and down the rivers at first and only had a few people comment "nice gun, cute little pistol, (i have a really small S&W 22LR revolver w/ long barrel, & holster) most don't notice the small leather holster but everyone notices the big black 9mm. I had some great comment's from some people because it's as bad of an area as we have here and they spoke to that issue of feeling that they didn't know if the criminals were armed so it's nice to know they can arm themselves. One pair of girls who were in earshot of a man complimenting my pistol asked me "why do you want to carry a gun anyway?" I just said that it was my right afforded to me by the BoR just like free speech. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language- my cue to exit!I knew that I should leave it at that so my passion about the subject don't get mistaken for angry MWG.

My personal philosophy is that you can't let them pick you over. People know what buttons to push and they will do so if other people are around. They would never stop you on the river-walk and as the sun sets want to debate the semantics of the 2nd Am. But if they are in the park pavilion and someone opens a conversation about the gun, you bet they are gonna put their two cents in especially if they disagree with you and might push you buttons. Don't let them. It's better to seem rude and dismiss yourself w/o answering their question then to stay and debate and end up being rude when someone makes an off-color remark about you or something you feel strongly about.

But I did have that, not very public feeling. Like I wasn't making much of a statement unless I went uptown. So I went uptown. I walked all over including in front of the Police Station. Most didn't notice me but those who did took second looks at the gun and me. I marked them as great experiences. Either no-one called on me or no response. (probably the former) This means that so far my town is hassle free for the second amendment. (I probably should not have said that)

DanM

imported post

buyUSorDIEinDET wrote:
I think I’m experiencing what others called the red flag syndrome. Even though I walked around during the evening where my pistol probably wasn’t even that visible and many people where in their houses I feel like my nerves weren’t tested. I almost feel like I need to have a run in with the law to test the waters of it being OK. Anyone else experience this feeling?

Yes. It's called the "I'm doing something that is perfectly OK, but which I have been conditioned to feel is not OK" feeling. For example, the same feeling occurs the first few times when jumping out of aircraft in flight.

My advice, based on my experiences with OC and jumping out of aircraft in flight: settle down.

As long as you remain attentive to what you're doing (know the law or know your parachutist training, and behave accordingly) you'll be fine. Nerves are natural, but you need to be the master of your emotional side and in control of it, not the other way around. Open carry is about conducting yourself normally, with the added accessory of a firearm for self-defense. It would not be normal conduct to have interaction with law enforcement for anything other than a law enforcement matter, therefore feeling the need for law enforcement interaction with regard to mere open carry is not normal conduct.

If you continue to feel such a need strongly, I suggest you continue to OC in private areas and not in public until you have mastered the feeling of OC'ing without much anxiety.

Michigander

imported post

Dan's advice is good. Gotta allow yourself to step outside of your paradigms.

If you have a lot of problems with nerves while OCing on your own, many of us live near you or get around your part of town often. It would be very easy for you to meet up with a couple people for lunch or dinner. There is a feeling of greater security in numbers. It's a false sense, because OCing and being situationally aware makes you about as secure as possible. But there is for some reason a natural instinct that groups are safer.

SlowDog

imported post

Welcome to OCDO. After a while it will become like furniture. You will forget your wearing it. If your at any of the get togethers watch out for intimidating woman wearing large caliber pistols......:what::what::what::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tygereye

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
Welcome to OCDO. After a while it will become like furniture. You will forget your wearing it. If your at any of the get togethers watch out for intimidating woman wearing large caliber pistols......:what::what::what::lol::lol::lol::lol:
DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!!!! LOL... don't you have something better to do?!?!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Slugslinger wrote:
buyUSorDIEinDET wrote:
Anyone else experience this feeling? Also anyone run into Oakland County Sheriff’s or L.O. Leo’s and how was your experience? I hope to have a very public OC experience soon.

I live in Big Rapids and before I ever open carried I called the Sheriff and asked them about how to get my pistol to...say...a spot on the river where I want to OC. The police said that If I were to take my pistol, by car, to anywhere other than hunting, target,etc (I'm sure you know that part) that I would be concealing and breaking the law. He did, however, say "you can walk all over town with your pistol, provided it's legal and registered" Then I got the standard lecturer about why do you want to OC -your asking for trouble- people will call us. I explained that I was looking to have les trouble since my family was attacked in that area. I also said that this was also a courtesy to let them know I would be OC ing. Kind of like a verbal burn permit, hey I will be there so when you get a call this is what to expect.

I've OC'd all up and down the rivers at first and only had a few people comment "nice gun, cute little pistol, (i have a really small S&W 22LR revolver w/ long barrel, & holster) most don't notice the small leather holster but everyone notices the big black 9mm. I had some great comment's from some people because it's as bad of an area as we have here and they spoke to that issue of feeling that they didn't know if the criminals were armed so it's nice to know they can arm themselves. One pair of girls who were in earshot of a man complimenting my pistol asked me "why do you want to carry a gun anyway?" I just said that it was my right afforded to me by the BoR just like free speech. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language- my cue to exit!I knew that I should leave it at that so my passion about the subject don't get mistaken for angry MWG.

My personal philosophy is that you can't let them pick you over. People know what buttons to push and they will do so if other people are around. They would never stop you on the river-walk and as the sun sets want to debate the semantics of the 2nd Am. But if they are in the park pavilion and someone opens a conversation about the gun, you bet they are gonna put their two cents in especially if they disagree with you and might push you buttons. Don't let them. It's better to seem rude and dismiss yourself w/o answering their question then to stay and debate and end up being rude when someone makes an off-color remark about you or something you feel strongly about.

But I did have that, not very public feeling. Like I wasn't making much of a statement unless I went uptown. So I went uptown. I walked all over including in front of the Police Station. Most didn't notice me but those who did took second looks at the gun and me. I marked them as great experiences. Either no-one called on me or no response. (probably the former) This means that so far my town is hassle free for the second amendment. (I probably should not have said that)

"The police said that If I were to take my pistol, by car, to anywhere other than hunting, target,etc (I'm sure you know that part) that I would be concealing and breaking the law."

This is not true, the law states you can transport a handgun for ALL LAWFUL purposes. This was changed in 2006, but many LEOs are not aware of this. They still say the back and forth to a specific area, when all they are is examples of a few lawful purposes.

SlowDog

imported post

tygereye wrote:
SlowDog wrote:
DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!!!! LOL... don't you have something better to do?!?!

ummmmm.....cant think of anything.....LOL :celebrate:celebrate

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I live in Oxford and have OC'd almost everyday for the last 2 years around Oxford, Lake Orion and surrounding areas. Not one problem, in fact I have had Oakland county and local LEO's next to me on a few occasions and not one word was said.

One of these days we could always meet up for an OC lunch of coffee around town.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you as a member of MOC soon!

sprinklerguy28

imported post

buyUSorDIEinDET wrote:
After learning my laws about OC and doing some research / fact finding utilizing the Oakland County Sherriff’s Department, Lake Orion Clerks Office, and talking with a knowledgeable and friendly Scott W. the SE representative over at M.O.C. I decided that last night would be my first open carry experience. I do not have my CPL so I was extremely nervous to pop my cherry. I decided to take my dog for a walk around my neighborhood with my Springfield SA-40 XD w/Blackhawk holster strapped to the belt. I walked the neighborhood from around 7pm- 8 without incident but couldn’t stop fidgeting. I seemed to be very concerned about making sure my pistol was always visible so that my fleece wouldn’t conceal it. I think I’m experiencing what others called the red flag syndrome. Even though I walked around during the evening where my pistol probably wasn’t even that visible and many people where in their houses I feel like my nerves weren’t tested. I almost feel like I need to have a run in with the law to test the waters of it being OK. Anyone else experience this feeling? Also anyone run into Oakland County Sherriff’s or L.O. Leo’s and how was your experience? I hope to have a very public OC experience soon.

I'm happy to see you got the first time out of the way. I also commend you for the time you put into researching the laws before acting. I hope to see you at an MOC event like we talked about and as others have mentioned. This is a great way to become more comfortable. Welcome to the OC world and look forward to signing you up as a member of MOC.