• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi-Point

Hi-Point 9mm

• Good Gift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrible Girft

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eastmeyers

imported post

Now I have shot Hi-Points before, and it did jam all the time, but the guy who owned it was an idiot, so I don't know how well it was cared for. Personaly I carry a few different Glocks, and an off-brand .22.

I want to get my brother a full-sized pistol for his birthday (it will be his first firearm). I wouldn't mind paying less than $200 for something brand spankin new either. My questions are...

Will this always jam?

Does it require premium ammo only?

How often does it have to be cleaned, more often then just when its used?

Please help, I really don't know to much about hi-points and I don't want to buy something that is going to jam and get his family shot because of it. He is about to have a child, and he already has a step child. I want to get him something he can keep in his nightstand, next to a magazine, and something he can holster up and come out for events... He can get his own CPL if he wants one.

Thanks all,

God Bless

Michigander

imported post

I personally don't own one, but I've never seen one jam.

I also know that they have a lifetime warranty. If it jams, it's often said to be the magazine. If it's some other problem, send it in, and they will fix it.

In regards to their awesome warranty, having a used hi point is the same as having a new one.

I'd say they make excellent gifts.

autosurgeon

imported post

I have found that if you cannot get it to work with a fluff and buff on the feed ramp then send it in and the company will make it right...

Mine both worked just fine out of the box...a few others I know of had to go back for repairs and adjustments. However after that they have been fine.

I have a C9 and a 995

Yooper

imported post

I bought one 15 years ago, and while it never jammed on me, I couldn't hit anything with it. I've read where many others get decent accuracy out of them, so it was probably just me.

eastmeyers

imported post

dougwg wrote:
First gun should ALWAYS be a .22

Now he has shot before, plus once he gets a firearm of his own, I will be taking him out more often. He is 25 years old, or he will be the day i'll be giving him this gift. Bus seriously a .22? Really? I carry a .22 in my pocket as my BUG, I am also a sharpshooter, and would only rely on this to get back my primary if things go horrible wrong. A .22 is not a knock down weapon, its fine if that's all you feel comfortable with, but really a .22 should be every ones first gun? Really? maybe if your 8-12 and are going squirrel hunting.

God Bless

lil_freak_66

imported post

Yooper wrote:
What fun is that? I think my grandpa got a good chuckle out of me when he let me shoot his 12 gauge when I was 6 and ended up on the ground.

same thing happened with me,only it was a 16 ga.

as for hi points,they are ugly,but that shouldnt matter.

and from what i hear,hi pointsare hit and miss on whether you get a good one,but if you get a bad one that great warranty(personallyi think itsthe best one in the industry) will make it a good one.

eastmeyers

imported post

I can't believe all this good and no bad, I guess I will now have to put my money where my keybord is! Now how about holsters, i've been looking online and havn't found any-good retention, OC holsters... Any ideas?

cscitney87

imported post

My pistol is Huge. I personally had to use the standard nylon OC belt looped hip holster- and I needed the largest one sold. The pistol grip still sticks out the top a few inches and I need to strap the retention in an odd way. I would Love to see some holsters specifically made for these pistol. It's a great gun like I said, but it's a bit odd to holster on the hip and even odder if the carrier is a tiny build and low weight. Impossible for me to run/jog/skip anything but walk with this pistol attached.

I highly suggest a shoulder rig if you can swing it.

Decoligny

imported post

Hi-Points jam for basically two reasons.

1. The feed ramp comes with a powdercoated surface that chips easily and causes jams. This is fixed by taking a dremel buffing wheel and removing the powder coat from the feed ramp, commonly called a fluff and buff.

2. Hi-Point is a blow back firearm. Limp wristing the gun will cause the recoil energy to push the whole gun back instead of just pushing the slide back. This will cause jamming. This is fixed by identifying the problem and holding the firearm with a firmer wrist.

I currently own a Hi-Point C9 and had a few jam problems that were fixed with the fluff and buff.

Cleaning: The manufacturer recommends simply running a patch through the barrel after shooting. After about 800-1,000 rounds it should be field stripped and cleaned. Pretty easy procedure, but a punch pin is required.

autosurgeon

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
My pistol is Huge. I personally had to use the standard nylon OC belt looped hip holster- and I needed the largest one sold. The pistol grip still sticks out the top a few inches and I need to strap the retention in an odd way. I would Love to see some holsters specifically made for these pistol. It's a great gun like I said, but it's a bit odd to holster on the hip and even odder if the carrier is a tiny build and low weight. Impossible for me to run/jog/skip anything but walk with this pistol attached.

I highly suggest a shoulder rig if you can swing it.
Both Kholster and Fobus make holsters for the C9

Fobus makes one for the .40 and .45

eastmeyers

imported post

Thank you, looks like i'll have to go with to fobus holster, would be nice if I could find a retention one, something easy but works well like my blackhawk...

eastmeyers

imported post

For those of you voting that it is a horrible gift I would like to know why. I want all the facts before I make the move. Assuming that your not the theives in the night, just stalking the site and not saying anything, not nice!

God Bless

And yes I do cling to my Religion and my Guns!

Luke 22:36

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

office888

imported post

For the same price, or even cheaper, you can get him a pistol that's guaranteed to be reliable. I think I'd probably buy him a Tokarev TT33, or a FEG PA63. Both are reliable, they're military guns after all. The TT33 is also obscenely cheap to shoot. Bulk ammo is cheap, you can get 1200 rounds of ammo for about $125. FEG PA63 was made in both 380, and 9x18 Makarov. Both are easy to find, although 380 is obviously easier.

Just throwing these ideas out there.

Friend of mine had a Hipoint, and he had nothing but problems with it. Sure, you can't beat their warranty. But you gotta wonder, will the gun fail when I need it most?

-Richard-

wally1120

imported post

I have never owned a Hi-Point my self, But a Hi-Point was one of my buddies first guns. I thought it was a very good gun for the price, But I am picky on what kinda guns that I purchase myself. If you are looking to buy a Entry level gun Hi-Point has everything beat IMHO, True they aren`t the greatest looking things made but they go BOOM when you pull the Trigger.