• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT Carrying Automatic knives

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I have recently came into a Benchmade 9051. Being that it is legal for sale to miltary my question is, is it legal for me to carry it. Im currently in iraq and every minute is in the line of duty so I know that i can carry it here but what about state side?

I have also heard that there may be a CWPthat i have to apply for.

Any help would begreatly appreciated....

And Greetings to you all from the land ofcamels and dirt.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
....in the line of duty....

First off, thank you for what you're doing, and for goodness-sake stay safe over there!

In regards to your question, during the performance of your duties, you would be allowed to carry it, but if you are outside your duties, the same possession laws apply to you as do to any of us "civies."

DaemonForce

imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
I have recently came into a Benchmade 9051. Being that it is legal for sale to miltary my question is, is it legal for me to carry it. Im currently in iraq and every minute is in the line of duty so I know that i can carry it here but what about state side?

I have also heard that there may be a CWPthat i have to apply for.
It is legal while you are on duty. I personally boycott Benchmade but if you have it you might as well get all you can out of it. I have a problem with 9.41.270 RCW but it's there for my own good.

Here's the real problem: When you're not on duty, you are breaking the law by carrying/concealing what is classified as a "dangerous weapon" which is bullshit because the only time a weapon is dangerous is when it's in the hands of a retard that either can't or has no clue how to use it. Knives are no exception. I am unable to get a concealed weapon permit for dangerous knives. I love them to death but I still can't legally carry them without landing myself in hot water. Also, if you illegally carry a dangerous weapon, you potentially put your CPL at risk.

Isn't that dumb? The concealed weapon permit doesn't extend to knives. When you carry one, you put your concealed pistol license at risk. I need an aspirin. :banghead:

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I personally would never buy a knife like this myself. Just due to price alone. I am in the transportation div. and it was left in a vehicle that a marine turned in before he headed home. Brand new knife. I guess maybe i should just sell it for the 245.00 that they want for them and call it good.

DaemonForce

imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
I personally would never buy a knife like this myself. Just due to price alone.
All of Benchmade's OTF knives are overpriced garbage.

tat2ed_guy wrote:
it was left in a vehicle that a marine turned in before he headed home. Brand new knife. I guess maybe i should just sell it for the 245.00 that they want for them and call it good.
Don't let appearance fool you. Cosmetic blemishes don't mean it's used. Those knives are designed to look just as good but aren't worth keeping around. You have better stuff at your disposal anyhow. I guess you could either sell it or it could be your kid's next birthday gift. Doas you will. :)

oldkim

imported post

Let's not beat around the bush...

No you cannot carry a "Automatic Knife" in Washington. Also it's a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) not a CWP - it only covers pistols.

Yes, you can certainly buy them in Washington so it's not illegal to own but it is most often illegal to carry.

Every county is different in regards to what length you can have asa folding pocket knife.

You'll need to do a bit more research to find out the specifics for you.

Squeak

imported post

I just got a benchmade as a trade. Very good knife. It is new, so time will tell. I looked up the RCW (don't recall which one at the moment) and the key words are , spring loaded, open by gravity or force......ie, IMO,if you can open it with one hand, it is illegal. That said ALL of my pocket knives are illegal. My case, buck,kershaw,western, cold steel,are all dangerous weapons. Also, LEOs are the ONLY ones that may carry them - on duty. Like I said, that is how I understand it.

DaemonForce

imported post

That is some really good insight as to why knives are banned inNew Jersey. All of my knives are a one-hand open. I don't follow the law where it claims my knife is a gravity knife. Gravity knives don't take any skill to open. I bet the same theory could be tacked onto swords too.

Mainsail

imported post

While I was active duty I always carried a fully automatic Benchmade knife in the left upper pocket of my flightsuit. Now that I'm retired it sits in the safe.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

oldkim wrote:
Let's not beat around the bush...

No you cannot carry a "Automatic Knife" in Washington. Also it's a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) not a CWP - it only covers pistols.

Yes, you can certainly buy them in Washington so it's not illegal to own but it is most often illegal to carry.

Every county is different in regards to what length you can have asa folding pocket knife.

You'll need to do a bit more research to find out the specifics for you.

Im not concerned with a CPL. I know what that allows me to do. Im more interested in a CWP and what it would cover if Washington state even issues them. I guess it will just have to stay at work.

Thanks for the info guys.

oldkim

imported post

That's the point of clarification on CPL. Washington doesn't have a CWP as other states.

CWP - is typically a general permit to carry any lethal type weapon (firearm, knives, clubs, etc). Washington only issues CPL.

Hence the clarification. For knives (even pocket knives) it varies from county to county on how long it can be. Overall, 3 inch folder is safe to carry but you do have to check. Straight blades are a totally different discussion.

I believe their was a thread on that here somewhere.

Yes, I do not miss the sands of Iraq it gets everywhere. They can keep their sand. Give 'em hell and thanks for your service.

For the auto - keep it at home but would not advise carrying it in Washington.

shad0wfax

imported post

Another thing to keep in mind about knife laws is that there is no state preemption on knives; preemption only applies to firearms.

That means that the city of Seattle can (and does) ban certain kinds of knives, classifying them as more dangerous than other types of knives. It's in your best interest to know the municipal codes on knives in every city you frequent, since what is perfectly legal in Spokane can get you arrested in Seattle.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
That means that the city of Seattle can (and does) ban certain kinds of knives,
I was the test mouse.

Balisong/butterflies are not legal.

Lucky I was a juvenile (14) and like a smartass asked for their (2) badge numbers (yeah, yeah noobish) and told the cop to stop interrupting me.

I got it back in the end :D.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Too bad we don't have a license like Kentucky. They issue a CCDW (Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons) License which covers everything in the deadly weapons listing. Want to carry a 12 inch knife? have at it. Want to carry throwing stars? have at it. Want to carry a pistol and a 12 inch knife? have at it.

Squeak

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Too bad we don't have a license like Kentucky. They issue a CCDW (Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons) License which covers everything in the deadly weapons listing. Want to carry a 12 inch knife? have at it. Want to carry throwing stars? have at it. Want to carry a pistol and a 12 inch knife? have at it.
Would that also include a jar of Trigger Dr's salsa? THAT, my friend is a dangerous weapon! So hot it'll burn ya TWICE!