• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons Policies of various universities as applied to visitors

gluegun

imported post

Can anyone point to a single weapons policy of any CT university that applies to visitors? All the policies I see are either in the student handbook or the employee handbook. As a visitor, I would be neither.

nastorino

imported post

BUMP!

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? I havelived inCT my whole22 years and I got my CTpermit in Sept 09 and have been carrying since. I carry 24/7 and when I sleep its on my nightstand. My dilema is that my girlfriend goes to school at SCSU and I wanna know if it is legal for me as a visitor to carry on her campus...I am not a student there nor am I a faculty member so do the rules of no firearms apply to me? Or do I have to park my car off her campus and leave my firearm unloaded in teh glovebox?

Thanks guys

gluegun

imported post

nastorino wrote:
Or do I have to park my car off her campus and leave my firearm unloaded in teh glovebox?
I don't mean to sound rude, but can you point to the statute that requires weapons be unloaded when stored in a vehicle?

nastorino

imported post

From what I was taught by my instructor when you leave the vehicle, if you are not carrying the firearm on your person it must be unloaded. However if you are in the vehicle you can have it loaded.

gluegun

imported post

Instructors say a lot of things that are not the law. I can't find a single law that handguns must be unloaded when in a vehicle under any circumstances if you have a CT permit.

There may be statutes that apply for long guns, but nothing for handguns.

Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles. (a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word "weapon", as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.
All it says is that you must have a permit if there is a handgun in your vehicle. ;)

nastorino

imported post

Thanks glueman that clarifies that for me!

I'm considering calling the states attorney general to get clarification on carrying on college university property. The idea of parking my car off campus property in New Haven or driving home 35minutes jsut so I can visit my girlfriend is insane. Not to mention the fact of driving through New haven and Hamden after dark or even in teh early hours prior to work.

gluegun

imported post

By law, the AG doesn't have to give clarification on any law to citizens. He only has to respond to selected members of the General Assembly, executive branch, and state agencies.

He's also not a fan of our cause.

gluegun

imported post

buketdude wrote:
Unless you see a sign saying you can't carry then carry on . There is nothing in CGS about carrying on a College Campus.
+1
Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going the "concealed means concealed" route. OC is out for me until I can get clarification.

GoldCoaster

imported post

And even if the DPS asks for clarification the AG's office sometimes says "Nobody has asked us for it" which is a big fat stinking lie.

You'd be better off asking a rock. at least you wouldn't waste time waiting for an answer that would never come.

nastorino

imported post

I would definitely carry concealed just to prevent a ruckus or the police being called and saying I'm breaching the police or whatever other bs they try to throw at permitees. I always try to stay concealed for that reason actually. I just don't want the campus thing to be not in my favor if it came down to it. I guess that risk is what we pay for safety...not knowing if the law will truely stand on "your" side

gluegun

imported post

Blumenthal is a joke.

Anyways, the state would likely just say "The law says property administrators can prohibit guns, blah blah blah" and not answer your question. If you really want clarification, send a letter to the campus police asking for clarification on their weapons policies. However, you might not like the answer you get.

I've been avoiding that route because I don't like the potential outcome. It's easy to ask the state for clarification because any change in policy takes time and public hearings, etc. and the repercussions take a long time to happen with opportunities to stop them. Policies of a particular location can be changed in the blink of an eye.

nastorino

imported post

I guess technically I can. I probably won't ask or write to the campus safety due to the answer they give me which will most likely be no because they are anti-gun. I'm not loud, I don't create disturbances and I hardly ever drink, never when I carry so if it came down to an issue I lawyer up. I don't think I will have a problem i always have a hoody or northface over my IWB gun or if I'm wearing a tshirt the LCP is carried instead.

Thanks for teh help blue and everyone else that answered.

armypilot

Burton, Texas - Wallingford, Connecticut, USA
imported post

My understanding that policy is made by the university, nothing in the state disallows it. This would make it technically legal and if you had an issue with campus police, you'd probably be ok because you weren't responsible for reading the student handbook. The problem is that students can face academic sanctions if someone complains and it clearly states that in the handbook. I would have no issue carrying, but I'd make sure to keep it covered up from others sight.

Side Story:

Right now, I'm 34 and working toward a Masters and have to retake several classes over because the program policy says I have to have completed certain classes within 7 years. (it's been about 12 since my last degree). I'm taking these "pre-reqs" at 3 colleges - Gateway, Housatonic and Capital Community colleges this semester.

I Always wear my empty Fobus holster to classes, since all three schools have no carry policies for students. I get a lot of questions about what it is and my response is basically to the effect, "The president of this school believes it is better for me to be a potential victim than to allow me to exercise my right as a licensed gun owner, so I am not allowed to holster my pistol in class."

I've found that people are really curious about gun laws and react positively to the conversation, even all the professors thus far. Some are surprised that a "normal person" like me would carry a gun. I always use conversations to inform people about our rights (and also lack of) and view it like being positive ambassador for our rights, unlike the communist media corporations. It's frightening how many people are fear-mongered by the media into believing that "only bad and shady people" own guns, as told to me by a young woman last week. :cuss:

Anyway, I'm having a lot of luck in showing these mostly younger people the truths, it just disgusts me how we are painted by the media as some sort of rogue fringe-of-society group that is some sort of threat to the general public; I hope I'm changing that idea, even if it's just a few each semester.

von buck

imported post

armypilot wrote:
Right now, I'm 34 and working toward a Masters and have to retake several classes over because the program policy says I have to have completed certain classes within 7 years. (it's been about 12 since my last degree). I'm taking these "pre-reqs" at 3 colleges - Gateway, Housatonic and Capital Community colleges this semester.

Hey pilot, I'm the librarian at Capital Mon, wed. nights and all day on Sat.

If your in the library then stop buy and say hi. I'm a big guy with the beard (not the little guy with a beard) Ask for Andy

Andy

nastorino

imported post

Thanks Armypilot thanks for the insight. I think my biggest benefit is that I am NOT student at SCSU and that my girlfriend is. I was a student at Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach but finishing my degree with them up in CT online rather than on campus. I know on that campus despite the connection with the military weren't allowed to have a firearm or carry as well.

I guess I will continue to carry in New Haven/Hamden fully concealed.

Chubs2287

imported post

Haha funny thing you say that. Now that I'm in grad school and don't go to the regular campus I haven't though much about it. But when I did walk by his house I did occasionally ask myself the same thing. I know he owns the house so it would be his property, so yes because he just has to transport it across school grounds. That is just my logical guess on that.

And now come to think of it I think firearms were banned from dorms, but I lost my handbook the first year so now I really don't know.

gluegun

imported post

Thankfully just about every college and university posts their student handbook on the web now: http://www.newhaven.edu/unh/marketing/pdfs/handbook/studenthandbook.html

Page 76, item 13 says firearms are prohibited except by police. No mention of where they are prohibited.

But, this is a student handbook, not a visitor handbook. Visitors are not given "fair warning" that firearms are prohibited, so I fail to see how anyone could be convicted.