• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OCer living on the border

horneraa

imported post

T Vance wrote:
horneraa wrote:
Sorry, you're new here. I don't know how much you know about firearm laws. I was just making sure you did. If you don't want my help, that's fine.

If you have questions about Indiana's gun laws, maybe you should ask the people in the Indiana section of this forum. Good luck.
Yet again, I meant no offense. I appreciate your help, but I was attempting to give you a newbie perspective on your own habits and the merits of this site as a whole.

Well try here. They will have answers to your questions I'm sure. It's a link to the Indiana forums.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum22/
Thank you, but I was hoping for the Michigander's perspective on carrying with a Michigan CPL across the border into Indiana. I'm not entirely sure that will work out there, but if you think I should, I will.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

horneraa wrote:
IANAL, however, IMO, the "...Terms Thereof"means thatplaces off-limits in Michigan for CPL holdersto carry a concealed pistol alsoare off-limits for Michigan CPL holders to carryconcealed pistols in Indiana. There has been much debate on this issue and I've been told in the past that my opinion on this is wrong.

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
IANAL, however, IMO, the "...Terms Thereof"means thatplaces off-limits in Michigan for CPL holdersto carry a concealed pistol alsoare off-limits for Michigan CPL holders to carryconcealed pistols in Indiana. There has been much debate on this issue and I've been told in the past that my opinion on this is wrong.
Negative. The "terms thereof" applies in situations such as those states that specify what type of handgun may be carried by the permit holder or even specific guns (identified by serial number) that may be carried.

The restricted locations are only specific to state law where carried.

bobn911

imported post

What I meant was not to have the weapon in your car or truck while in Indiana if you do not have a CPL. Sorry about the confusion. Later, Bob

PS, you have a Pm coming horneraa

horneraa

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Negative. The "terms thereof" applies in situations such as those states that specify what type of handgun may be carried by the permit holder or even specific guns (identified by serial number) that may be carried.

That what really gets me. The "terms thereof" clause is so vague. In Michigan, a permit to carry concealed is just that. It is not a permit to carry openly. It isn't a stretch of thought to say that the "terms" of a CPL in MI is to carry concealed, and so it is the only thing I am allowed to do in IN. Its not reassuring to guess.

I wrote a letter to the IN State Police, a response posted as soon as I get it.

autosurgeon

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
IANAL, however, IMO, the "...Terms Thereof" means that places off-limits in Michigan for CPL holders to carry a concealed pistol also are off-limits for Michigan CPL holders to carry concealed pistols in Indiana.  There has been much debate on this issue and I've been told in the past that my opinion on this is wrong.

This is my understanding as well.