• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could someone help me with a summary of Conneticut's open carry laws?

gluegun

imported post

gluegun wrote:
I can reply with the exact explaination I got from DPS, but the short answer is no.
To follow up on my previous post here is the legal definition of "license" as reported by law.com:
1) n. governmental permission to perform a particular act (like getting married), conduct a particular business or occupation, operate machinery or vehicles after proving ability to do so safely or use property for a certain purpose. 2) n. the certificate that proves one has been granted authority to do something under governmental license. 3) n. a private grant of right to use real property for a particular purpose, such as putting on a concert. 4) n. a private grant of the right to use some intellectual property such as a patent or musical composition. 5) v. to grant permission by governmental authority or private agreement.
It can mean a physical certificate, but the definition likely meant by the legislature is permission via 1).

Here's the legislative history for carrying a weapon on school grounds:
P.A. 98-129 amended Subsec. (a) to add element that the person know that he is not licensed or privileged to possess a weapon on school grounds and deleted former Subsec. (b)(1) that had made provisions of Subsec. (a) inapplicable to the lawful possession of a firearm by a person holding a valid state or local permit to carry such firearm, renumbering the remaining Subdivs. accordingly, and deleted provision that had authorized boards of education and supervisory agents of private schools to prohibit the possession of firearms by students in or on school property or at a school-sponsored activity;
The provision allowing permit holders to carry on school grounds was removed in 98.

Here's what DPS told me:
The reference to the word "licensed" in subsection (a) of 53a-217b does not refer to the possession of a valid Connecticut State Permit to Carry. A history search of the statute revealed that language in subsection(b) of 53a-217b specifically allowing the carrying of handguns on school grounds by valid permit holders was removed from the statute in 1998. This, in effect brought 53a-217b into alignment with section 29-28, and thus requires persons wishing to possess weapons on school grounds to obtain permission from the board of education or authorized school officials.
I can provide a PDF of the actual letter they sent if someone REALLY wants it.

vitamin

imported post

Ok, I was talking to a co-worker a few days ago who told me it was ok in CT if you stay in your car because it is your property, like how people can drink and smoke in their cars here where it would otherwise not be legal to. He is older so I'll update him on it.

Resamith

Banned
imported post

Living in the car should be ok in CT, unless your doing anything illegal in the car.

Cheers!
Resamith

--Edited --Rule Violation--