Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am helpng a friend in VA or WV

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

A friend of mine has a 9mm pistol and needs to shoot 100 rounds througha stack of like 8 golf shirts and needs to recover bullets and fragments for a study. She asked me for help. What is the best way to capture the 100 rounds? Shoot into the ground (frozen around here), water barrel, jugs, phone books and newspaper (both wet and dry).. I have heard it all.. What have you heard and better yet, what have you DONE that works?

Thanks!

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I would do it the same way as the guy on the Box O'Truth website. Line up 5 or 6 milk jugs filled with water and hang the clothing in front of it.

R/ DocV

Edit to add: http://www.theboxotruth.com/

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

DocV wrote:
    Line up 5 or 6 milk jugs filled with water and hang the clothing in front of it.

What a smart, smart man!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

DocV wrote:
    I would do it the same way as the guy on the Box O'Truth website. Line up 5 or 6 milk jugs filled with water and hang the clothing in front of it.

R/ DocV

Edit to add: http://www.theboxotruth.com/
    That's going to take a lot of milk jugs for 100 rounds.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    A friend of mine has a 9mm pistol and needs to shoot 100 rounds througha stack of like 8 golf shirts and needs to recover bullets and fragments for a study. She asked me for help. What is the best way to capture the 100 rounds? Shoot into the ground (frozen around here), water barrel, jugs, phone books and newspaper (both wet and dry).. I have heard it all.. What have you heard and better yet, what have you DONE that works?

Thanks!

Ed

We use the local Yellow Book *you can get them free at Kroger* for .22 rounds but they go almost all the way through, save for about 200 or so pages. She could try it, but it did catch and save the bullets. And since they are free and you can get several rounds into each one, especially if she spaces them right and pulls them out between shots.

Post imported post

Couldn't she get/make some ballistics gel and set the shirts on top of the gel?

http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html

Post imported post

Mount the shirts in a REALLY big embroidery hoop, then mount that hoop on the top of a 55 gallon drum filled with water. Stand on a platform high enough so you can comfortably shoot straight down into the barrel. That should easily and safely capture the bullets, AND not deform them very much (well, a LOT less than phone books or the ground)

Plus, a 55gal drum is a LOT more "re-usable" than milk jugs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJWJ...PL&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=972OWQFimGw
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

What about a block of ice? it may take a few though, it shouldn't melt that quick in these temps.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Mount the shirts in a REALLY big embroidery hoop, then mount that hoop on the top of a 55 gallon drum filled with water. Stand on a platform high enough so you can comfortably shoot straight down into the barrel. That should easily and safely capture the bullets, AND not deform them very much (well, a LOT less than phone books or the ground)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJWJ...&index=6So
    So far, this looks like the best
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Just make sure she gives the YouTube poster (and me for pointing you toward it) a little credit line somewhere in her report...

Good luck with this experiment. Sounds REALLY interesting. Let us know how it goes, and please, if she published it in PDF format anywhere, give us the link.

Inquiring minds want to know...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Dreamer wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJWJ...&index=6So
    So far, this looks liek the best
    I may be able to hook you up with a 55 gal drum, you would just have to cut the top out.

Post imported post

Ballistic gel won't deform the bullet, the ice will shatter and cause fragmentation of the bullet, a 9mm bullet will loose most of its momentum in 16-18 inches of water ( a 55 gal drum isn't strictly necessary) and about 9 inches of phone book are required. What material you use depends on what you are studying the bullet for. If you are attempting to demonstrate the shirts on a human body then usually a pig carcass is sufficient to stop the slug and mimic the response.

If it is only to demonstrate what happens to the golf shirts or the bullet or a combination then you need to tailor your information and method to represent what your study is attempting.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Post imported post

nuc65 wrote:
    Ballistic gel won't deform the bullet, the ice will shatter and cause fragmentation of the bullet, a 9mm bullet will loose most of its momentum in 16-18 inches of water ( a 55 gal drum isn't strictly necessary)
    If I use a 35 gallon "plastic" trash can will the shock wave blow out the sides?

Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

Actually, in the first video I posted--the one with the Winchester 9mm PDX-1 rounds, it looks like he is using that EXACT plastic trash can. The second video--the one with the .45acp Hydra-Shoks, a different guy used a metal 55gal barrel...

So a plastic garbage can should work, if its a BIG one. And shooting through 8 layers of denim is going to slow down a 9mm round a bit before it ever hits the water, so you should be golden with a 50gal trash can, but a 35 gallon plastic can might not be deep enough.

The only way to know is to try. At the very worst, you're going to shoot a few holes in the bottom of a 35gal trash can.

I'd go with the bigger can though. The cost difference should be negligible, and we've seen it work on video...

As always, I'll say IANAL, but I'll also add the following caveat:
    IANAP (I Am Not A Physicist...)
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

One more idea...

If your friend is doing this experiment as some sort of officially sanctioned academic research, she might have her school contact the FBI lab in Quantico VA. They have a state-of-the -art ballistics lab, and they have some of the most current models of "bullet traps."

FBI-Quantico has research partnerships with many of the NoVA area universities (like GMU), so if she's doing this experiment for research in, say, GMU's Criminal Justice Program, she can probably get authorisation to go to Quantico and watch them do it for her. (they probably WON'T let her actually fire the rounds though...)

Just a thought...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    One more idea...

If your friend is doing this experiment as some sort of officially sanctioned academic research, she might have her school contact the FBI lab in Quantico VA. They have a state-of-the -art ballistics lab, and they have some of the most current models of "bullet traps."

FBI-Quantico has research partnerships with many of the NoVA area universities (like GMU), so if she's doing this experiment for research in, say, GMU's Criminal Justice Program, she can probably get authorisation to go to Quantico and watch them do it for her. (they probably WON'T let her actually fire the rounds though...)

Just a thought...
    Thanks.. time was of the essence.. she needs the rounds this weekend and I took too long.. but I think she is going to use the trash can idea with her dad in WV this weekend. Thanks all for your help, I will let ya know how it worked out.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

Yeah, ok, too late - but I was thinking, it sort of depends on what condition she wants the bullets to be in after going through the shirts. Water jugs, phone books, and trash cans will cause deformation. I was thinking, if she's in W.Va., bales of hay would be best. When she's done, just burn the hay and sift the ashes. Though now that I think of it, depending on what kind of bullets she's using, that fire might be hot enough to melt the lead.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    nuc65 wrote:
    Ballistic gel won't deform the bullet, the ice will shatter and cause fragmentation of the bullet, a 9mm bullet will loose most of its momentum in 16-18 inches of water ( a 55 gal drum isn't strictly necessary)
    If I use a 35 gallon "plastic" trash can will the shock wave blow out the sides?

If you maintain aim at the center and the trash can you picture is 3/4 full then I doubt it will create much of a pressure wave. It might splash some and I would add a few inches of sand at the bottom.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    nuc65 wrote:

There is a youtube video of a guy using a plastic trash can with mud at the bottem and then water to show that the Glock can be fired underwater. The trash can did not suffer any visible damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS057lKUtCs
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

It goes without saying that you should not try this at home, and you take this advice at your own risk, YMMV, IANAL ... and any other disclaimer that may be appropriate.

Go to Walmart or a similar discount store. Find some "Bath sheets" which are basically large bath towels for 100 9mm bullet recoveries you will need about 5.

Open the towel, lay it flat and roll it into a round "tube" shape. Take the weapon and the towel to a large flat unobstructed surface. Lay the towel tube on the ground in a straight line and fold the far end over to close the end. Be sure there is at least 25 or 30 feet of unobstructed space for the towel to move when you shoot. Put the muzzle of the weapon into the end of the towel tube and go "Bang".

The towel will move (usually about 20 feet).

Unroll the towel and you will find a pristine bullet in the center about half way down the length of the roll. You can reuse the towel for a number of shots but it will eventually require replacement.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

The only thing missing from the first video was; "Here, hold ma'beer!"
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." B. Franklin

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    It goes without saying that you should not try this at home, and you take this advice at your own risk, YMMV, IANAL ... and any other disclaimer that may be appropriate.

Go to Walmart or a similar discount store. Find some "Bath sheets" which are basically large bath towels for 100 9mm bullet recoveries you will need about 5.

Open the towel, lay it flat and roll it into a round "tube" shape. Take the weapon and the towel to a large flat unobstructed surface. Lay the towel tube on the ground in a straight line and fold the far end over to close the end. Be sure there is at least 25 or 30 feet of unobstructed space for the towel to move when you shoot. Put the muzzle of the weapon into the end of the towel tube and go "Bang".

Unroll the towel and you will find a pristine bullet in the center about half way down the length of the roll. You can reuse the towel for a number of shots but it will eventually require replacement.
    YouTube THAT
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    nuc65 wrote:

Ed, I tested some hollowpoints using a tall 7 gallon bucket filled with water shot from my keltec p3at .380. Two things. I had a steel plate in the bottom incase the water column was not enough to stop the bullet. It wasn't and flatened the bullet but after it nicely expanded. I would suggest something similar for you otherwise you may shoot a hole in the bottom of your trash can. The can should be able to handle the shock wave. Be aware though the splash back was rather impressive even for a .380 :^). Got me all wet and I was six feet above the bucket.

Post imported post

Hokie wrote:
    ed wrote:
    nuc65 wrote:

There is a youtube video of a guy using a plastic trash can with mud at the bottem and then water to show that the Glock can be fired underwater. The trash can did not suffer any visible damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS057lKUtCs
    Here's a nice little write up about shooting a glock underwater. It starts a bit down the page. One good point they make is to use subsonic cartridges!

http://www.topglock.com/content.aspx?ckey=glockfaqs

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:

YouTube THAT
    Not everyone uses youtube.

Try it. It works very well. It helps if the flat surface is smooth and you roll the towel along the long axis. The important thing is to make the "tube" fairly tight but not impassable, allow the towel to move freely, and shoot down the center parallel to the ground.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast