• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am helpng a friend in VA or WV

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
It goes without saying that you should not try this at home, and you take this advice at your own risk, YMMV, IANAL ... and any other disclaimer that may be appropriate.

Go to Walmart or a similar discount store. Find some "Bath sheets" which are basically large bath towels for 100 9mm bullet recoveries you will need about 5.

Open the towel, lay it flat and roll it into a round "tube" shape. Take the weapon and the towel to a large flat unobstructed surface. Lay the towel tube on the ground in a straight line and fold the far end over to close the end. Be sure there is at least 25 or 30 feet of unobstructed space for the towel to move when you shoot. Put the muzzle of the weapon into the end of the towel tube and go "Bang".

The towel will move (usually about 20 feet).

Unroll the towel and you will find a pristine bullet in the center about half way down the length of the roll. You can reuse the towel for a number of shots but it will eventually require replacement.
YouTube THAT

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
Ballistic gel won't deform the bullet, the ice will shatter and cause fragmentation of the bullet, a 9mm bullet will loose most of its momentum in 16-18 inches of water ( a 55 gal drum isn't strictly necessary)

If I use a 35 gallon "plastic" trash can will the shock wave blow out the sides?
Ed, I tested some hollowpoints using a tall 7 gallon bucket filled with water shot from my keltec p3at .380. Two things. I had a steel plate in the bottom incase the water column was not enough to stop the bullet. It wasn't and flatened the bullet but after it nicely expanded. I would suggest something similar for you otherwise you may shoot a hole in the bottom of your trash can. The can should be able to handle the shock wave. Be aware though the splash back was rather impressive even for a .380 :^). Got me all wet and I was six feet above the bucket.

Neplusultra

imported post

Hokie wrote:
ed wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
Ballistic gel won't deform the bullet, the ice will shatter and cause fragmentation of the bullet, a 9mm bullet will loose most of its momentum in 16-18 inches of water ( a 55 gal drum isn't strictly necessary)

If I use a 35 gallon "plastic" trash can will the shock wave blow out the sides?
There is a youtube video of a guy using a plastic trash can with mud at the bottem and then water to show that the Glock can be fired underwater. The trash can did not suffer any visible damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS057lKUtCs
Here's a nice little write up about shooting a glock underwater. It starts a bit down the page. One good point they make is to use subsonic cartridges!

http://www.topglock.com/content.aspx?ckey=glockfaqs

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
It goes without saying that you should not try this at home, and you take this advice at your own risk, YMMV, IANAL ... and any other disclaimer that may be appropriate.

Go to Walmart or a similar discount store. Find some "Bath sheets" which are basically large bath towels for 100 9mm bullet recoveries you will need about 5.

Open the towel, lay it flat and roll it into a round "tube" shape. Take the weapon and the towel to a large flat unobstructed surface. Lay the towel tube on the ground in a straight line and fold the far end over to close the end. Be sure there is at least 25 or 30 feet of unobstructed space for the towel to move when you shoot. Put the muzzle of the weapon into the end of the towel tube and go "Bang".

Unroll the towel and you will find a pristine bullet in the center about half way down the length of the roll. You can reuse the towel for a number of shots but it will eventually require replacement.
YouTube THAT

Not everyone uses youtube.

Try it. It works very well. It helps if the flat surface is smooth and you roll the towel along the long axis. The important thing is to make the "tube" fairly tight but not impassable, allow the towel to move freely, and shoot down the center parallel to the ground.

Neplusultra

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ed wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

YouTube THAT

Not everyone uses youtube.

Try it. It works very well. It helps if the flat surface is smooth and you roll the towel along the long axis. The important thing is to make the "tube" fairly tight but not impassable, allow the towel to move freely, and shoot down the center parallel to the ground.
And make sure you have a good backstop :^).