• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Car Prowl, Frustration.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Kildars wrote:
I was the victim of a car prowl last night. Had valuables taken out of my car. (Yes I know they shouldnt have been in there, but it was only for a short period). I talked to the security and they got the guy on tape, they got the license plate, a good picture.. etc.. I know that these items get sold very quickly. My local PD is "assigning the case to a detective" among other things.

Just frustrating and I'm kinda venting.

What would you have done if you saw someone breaking into your car?
Kildars wrote:
Had I caught these guys red-handed I would have drawn without thinking twice. If an officer came up on the same scenario they would have their guns drawn as well.

Whatever you would have done, I would hope that you would have kept in mind one of the most famous and powerful ideas to have ever come from the gun owner/2A activist communities, HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[suP]©[/suP] :

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

Failure to follow the wisdom and guidanceimplicit inHPCSD[suP]©[/suP] results in trauma, regret and various legal, moral and psychic costs.

HPCSD[suP]©[/suP] always applies, BTW. There is no way around it.

FMCDH

imported post

HankT wrote:
Whatever you would have done, I would hope that you would have kept in mind one of the most famous and powerful ideas to have ever come from the gun owner/2A activist communities, HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[sup]©[/sup] :

Failure to follow the wisdom and guidanceimplicit inHPCSD[sup]©[/sup] results in trauma, regret and various legal, moral and psychic costs.

HPCSD[sup]©[/sup] always applies, BTW. There is no way around it.
Personally, I like 'FMCDH's Logic of Better Self-Defense' much more.

It is always a worse strategy to allow someone to beat and or stab you to death.

FLBSD always applies more than any other "Postulate". Period.

Just sayin... :D

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
I'd much rather get shot than stabbed. It's a really sickening feeling :uhoh:

I've never been shot, but it has to be better.
When I was in harborview, I had a bunch of roommates, one of which was a young Hispanic guy who got shot in the stomach. He was telling me about how he was all giggling when he got shot and couldn't stop giggling even when paramedics were arriving. He couldn't eat for a long time either but at least he could still walk around in those ridiculous gowns that show your butt to everyone.

:what:

DaemonForce

imported post

Well I can sort of relate. My knives are sharp and full of fun. Poosharker might be the only one that understands. I sometimes cut myself but they're usually just that. Cuts. I still play with knives.

When you get stabbed by someone, it's usually a moderately sharp blade and a deliberate attempt to make a deep painful motherfucker of a wound. I don't like those but given a situation in close range if I had the option to draw an ancient revolver or a razor edged contraption that makes me a lightning-draw stabbing machine, I'll pick the knife and damn well use it. Not out of fear but out of spite. It's also an experience thing though.:shock:

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
Well I can sort of relate. My knives are sharp and full of fun. Poosharker might be the only one that understands. I sometimes cut myself but they're usually just that. Cuts. I still play with knives.

\
Butterfly knives....my love always and forever. ;)

Yeah,yeah don't bring a knife to a gunfight. :cry:

Kildars

imported post

Well I got my laptop back today. I had a private investigator run the license plate of the guy I had on video. I got the address and I just drove up to his house and him and his father were standing outside. I told him I had him on video stealing my laptop and other items and I wasn't going to involve the police if I got it all back. He denied it at first, but then I pulled out the video and he called his friend who called the person he sold it to and in an hour or so I had my laptop back along with nearly everything else.

The question now becomes, do I still press charges?

Kildars

imported post

HankT wrote:
Kildars wrote:
I was the victim of a car prowl last night. Had valuables taken out of my car. (Yes I know they shouldnt have been in there, but it was only for a short period). I talked to the security and they got the guy on tape, they got the license plate, a good picture.. etc.. I know that these items get sold very quickly. My local PD is "assigning the case to a detective" among other things.

Just frustrating and I'm kinda venting.

What would you have done if you saw someone breaking into your car?
Kildars wrote:
Had I caught these guys red-handed I would have drawn without thinking twice. If an officer came up on the same scenario they would have their guns drawn as well.

Whatever you would have done, I would hope that you would have kept in mind one of the most famous and powerful ideas to have ever come from the gun owner/2A activist communities, HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[sup]©[/sup] :

Failure to follow the wisdom and guidanceimplicit inHPCSD[sup]©[/sup] results in trauma, regret and various legal, moral and psychic costs.

HPCSD[sup]©[/sup] always applies, BTW. There is no way around it.
I never said I would shoot him, I said I would draw. If he then threatened my life in anyway or I felt my life was in danger (him presenting a weapon) then yes I would have fired.

DaemonForce

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Well I got my laptop back today.
Huzzah! :)

Kildars wrote:
I had a private investigator run the license plate of the guy I had on video. I got the address and I just drove up to his house and him and his father were standing outside. I told him I had him on video stealing my laptop and other items and I wasn't going to involve the police if I got it all back. He denied it at first, but then I pulled out the video and he called his friend who called the person he sold it to and in an hour or so I had my laptop back along with nearly everything else.

Okay so a private investigator gave you the information you needed. You go to the guy and give him the terms that you won't press charges if you get all of your stuff back. You're asking us if you press charges because you only got most of everything back? :lol:

You already humiliated him once in front of his dad. He's not going to live it down. So it's really allup to you. Ifyou don't I guess you would be breaking your word though.:celebrate

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Kildars wrote:
Well I got my laptop back today. I had a private investigator run the license plate of the guy I had on video. I got the address and I just drove up to his house and him and his father were standing outside. I told him I had him on video stealing my laptop and other items and I wasn't going to involve the police if I got it all back. He denied it at first, but then I pulled out the video and he called his friend who called the person he sold it to and in an hour or so I had my laptop back along with nearly everything else.

Of course.

A crime was committed. You have evidence that it was committed.

As a citizen, you have an ethical responsibility to society topresent your information to the police and to "press" charges (if that means that you will sign a complaint/testify in court, etc.).

Kildars

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
Kildars wrote:
Well I got my laptop back today.
Huzzah! :)

Kildars wrote:
I had a private investigator run the license plate of the guy I had on video. I got the address and I just drove up to his house and him and his father were standing outside. I told him I had him on video stealing my laptop and other items and I wasn't going to involve the police if I got it all back. He denied it at first, but then I pulled out the video and he called his friend who called the person he sold it to and in an hour or so I had my laptop back along with nearly everything else.

Okay so a private investigator gave you the information you needed. You go to the guy and give him the terms that you won't press charges if you get all of your stuff back. You're asking us if you press charges because you only got most of everything back? :lol:

You already humiliated him once in front of his dad. He's not going to live it down. So it's really allup to you. Ifyou don't I guess you would be breaking your word though.:celebrate
I know. His dad didn't say anything and he had a VERY nice house in Graham. I'm sure he let his kid have it. I pulled the kids arrest record and he was just released from jail for forgery.

I'm still missing my garage door opener (he said he threw it away), some coins, and my Marine Corps mousepad I got from doing pullups.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Kildars wrote:

This kid is a criminal and will lie and steal as you know, even though you have all your items back by telling him you would not, so what.

If you do not then you have just given him a freebee on getting caught, and who is next, you owe to society as a whole to report it and provide what ever evidence you can to help convict the punk.

Officer can lie during an investigation to solve cases why can't you?

DaemonForce

imported post

Kildars wrote:
I know. His dad didn't say anything and he had a VERY nice house in Graham. I'm sure he let his kid have it. I pulled the kids arrest record and he was just released from jail for forgery.
Ahahahahaahah! "Boy, what in the HELL?! Imma put you over my knee right now! Git over here!" :p

Kildars wrote:
I'm still missing my garage door opener (he said he threw it away), some coins, and my Marine Corps mousepad I got from doing pullups.
Ah. Goondolences. Garage equipment is hard for me to replace without the circuit plans. If you had those or maybe a spare or the will to shell out some cash for a spare it wouldn't be a pain. Coins, love collecting them. Spend-wise, not so much. That Marine mousepad is a hard motherfucker to earn too. I can't do it. :(

Kildars

imported post

HankT wrote:
Kildars wrote:

Of course.

As a citizen, you have an ethical responsibility to society topresent your information to the police and to "press" charges (if that means that you will sign a complaint/testify in court, etc.).
I've already turned over the videos to the police, the case still hasn't been assigned to a detective. The question is after my investigation I now have this guys phone #, full name (I only went to the drivers house, a passenger got out and stole the laptop). I also have the passenger (the one who physically took the laptop (theyre both just as responsible)) name, phone #, address as well.

So do I turn that over? Will I get in trouble for "obstructing an ongoing investigation" by getting my stuff back?

You should have seen this guys face, he was so shocked he got found -- he was so scared. It's a C felony what he did.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Kildars wrote:
HankT wrote:
Kildars wrote:

Of course.

I've already turned over the videos to the police, the case still hasn't been assigned to a detective. The question is after my investigation I now have this guys phone #, full name (I only went to the drivers house, a passenger got out and stole the laptop). I also have the passenger (the one who physically took the laptop (theyre both just as responsible)) name, phone #, address as well.

So do I turn that over? Will I get in trouble for "obstructing an ongoing investigation" by getting my stuff back?

You should have seen this guys face, he was so shocked he got found -- he was so scared. It's a C felony what he did.

You're making it too complicated.

Frame it as an ethics question. Then, it will be clear as to what you should do.