• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Car Prowl, Frustration.

compmanio365

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Pretty good video to say the least.

Good to see them get caught red handed.
Not really, if the PD doesn't do their job, and refuses to act on the available information. More than likely, this will be the case. It's certainly what I've come to expect from Tacoma PD and any other one I've dealt with in the greater Puget Sound area. They don't have the time, don't have the inclination, or both, to prosecute a case like this. If nobody died, forget about even the illusion of justice from the legal system.

Kildars

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Pretty good video to say the least.

Good to see them get caught red handed.
Not really, if the PD doesn't do their job, and refuses to act on the available information. More than likely, this will be the case. It's certainly what I've come to expect from Tacoma PD and any other one I've dealt with in the greater Puget Sound area. They don't have the time, don't have the inclination, or both, to prosecute a case like this. If nobody died, forget about even the illusion of justice from the legal system.
I don't think he meant the PD catching them. I think he meant the video. This video lead to me getting my stuff back. :). It is good video.

DaemonForce

imported post

90% of the time, people do this because they're under the impression that there's no way they can get caught. Yeah those other drivers in the lot could convict him but more than likely they're stuck looking for a left turn. I like how two people were walking by right after the prowl. You also have a fancy looking rig. That's probably attracting thieves. I have a fancy car but I don't live in Tacoma and I don't leave anything good in it so I don't deal with a lot of vehicle prowls. For me it's just stupid kids getting into my stuff. Anyway it's good to see you're taking your own investigation measures when the police are too busy to lift a finger. I hope you get the rest of your stuff back. :)

compmanio365

imported post

You do have a point. I have never been broken into (knock on wood), but then I never leave anything of value in sight to make it a tempting target either. I try to make sure and remove everything that would be worth stealing entirely, out of sight or not. And I'm sure I've just been lucky too.

And Kildars, I'm glad you got your stuff back, but don't you want to see these punks get prosecuted and charged? That's what I'm talking about, although maybe I misunderstood the reference there. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Kildars

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
You do have a point. I have never been broken into (knock on wood), but then I never leave anything of value in sight to make it a tempting target either. I try to make sure and remove everything that would be worth stealing entirely, out of sight or not. And I'm sure I've just been lucky too.

And Kildars, I'm glad you got your stuff back, but don't you want to see these punks get prosecuted and charged? That's what I'm talking about, although maybe I misunderstood the reference there. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.
I was debating it, I talked to the Security Guard at the property to tell him thanks for giving me the video. He said that car matched descriptions of other car prowls there. So, after that, I want to see them prosecuted. I am still waiting for a detective to call me from the FWPD because the case hasn't been assigned yet. When they do call me, I plan on turning everything over and having them charged. Maybe I'll just forward my information straight to the King County Prosecutors Criminal Division.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Several years ago, there was a rash of car prowls in the local Merit Mart (long time ago)

I had parked my 1965 Shelby Mustang convert, with the top down and went in to shop. In the back seat were 9 boxes all nicely gift wrapped and fairly heavy. I was in the store about 15 minutes and came back out to see all 9 boxes were issing. I was quite happy about that because they were all filled with garbage. I would have given $50 to see the look on their faces when they opened the boxes.:celebrate

1245A Defender

imported post

an old story i heard,,, a woman needed to take a urine sample to her doctors office,, the only container she had available was a wisky bottle.
she left it in the car when she stopped at the store on the way to the doctor, and somebody stole it!:lol:

END_THE_FED

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Several years ago, there was a rash of car prowls in the local Merit Mart (long time ago)

I had parked my 1965 Shelby Mustang convert, with the top down and went in to shop. In the back seat were 9 boxes all nicely gift wrapped and fairly heavy. I was in the store about 15 minutes and came back out to see all 9 boxes were issing. I was quite happy about that because they were all filled with garbage. I would have given $50 to see the look on their faces when they opened the boxes.:celebrate

NICE!

END_THE_FED

imported post

Hey OP,
did you ever get a call back from the detective? If not there isn't much more they can do. You have already done all the investigative work. Why not just put an evidence packet together and send it to the DA.? My guess is he would prosecute, it would be an easy win for his office.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

END_THE_FED wrote:
Hey OP,
did you ever get a call back from the detective? If not there isn't much more they can do. You have already done all the investigative work. Why not just put an evidence packet together and send it to the DA.? My guess is he would prosecute, it would be an easy win for his office.
Very unlikely for the DA to take up something that the Local Police or Sheriff's Office did not refer to them.

Local Police are the investigating branch of Local Law Enforcement and the DA looks to them for recommendations that a crime was committed, then the DA determines charges from there.

knight_308

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Kildars wrote:
It has a bios password AND a vista password.
Unfortunately, both are pretty easy to get around. Most motherboards have a jumper setting to clear bios passwords and and hard drives can be formatted.

But I would agree about hiring a PI if you have the money.
The hard drive will be easily accessed by putting it in another machine and looking through your docs, unless you encrypted them.

The BIOS password on most modern *laptops* is usually not resettable by pulling the battery or hitting a jumper. For example, IBM thinkpads for the past six years, at least, require you to solder some wires to the board and hit it with a terminal emulator to read off the password. Some laptop manufacturers can reset your password with their tech support. I recommend that you contact your machine's manufacturer and report it stolen.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I have been the victim myself. I called the cops to make a report. After all was said and done I asked the officer if I could confront them with gun in hand. He said that I was well within my rights to do so but had to be very careful if they werent creating any threat. I told him that I was asking cause I was raised in TX. He stopped me there and said that I could not come out shooting people. I got a big kick out of that one. Needless to say when I call the cops now days they come quite quickly. I have had many dealings with them. Thank God none of which were bad for me....:celebrate