• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keep hitting this double question poll on National Park Carry!

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

"Even if few park visitors flaunt their firearms, knowing the person next to your family at an evening campfire or on a ranger-led hike might have a gun will have a chilling effect, critics say."

Oh, of course. Because everybody knows that if you have a gun that means that you're a serial-murdering psychopath. And here in the PRK we have been enlightened by our government that having clips that hold more than 10 rounds will cause us to go on shooting sprees.

possumboy

imported post

"Violent crimes -- homicide, rape, robbery and aggravated assault -- have been declining for more than a decade in the national parks, according to FBI statistics. The rate for those crimes in 2008, the latest figures available, was 0.13 per 100,000 recreational park visitors. The nationwide crime rate: 454.5 per 100,000."

Idespise when they try to make it sound like there is nothing to worry about by saying how low the crime rate is in a park. Do they want to be one of the 353.6 in 2007 there suffered from a violet crime in a National Park? If you could have prevented the "homicide, rape, robbery and aggravated assault" of yourself or family, would you not do that?

272 Million Visits in 2007 - http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/quickfacts.htm

Check my math - (272,000,000/100,000)*.13 = 353.6

Odds are, you will never have to defend yourself, but why play the odds. Last time during a verbal discussion, I asked for the name of the person's wife, children, and all their contact information. That way, ifmy familywas ever assaulted in a park, I could just give the criminal their information. Maybe that trade off would keep my kids from being murdered or rape.

I don't like to play the odds when I do not have too.

Looks like a poll has been added asking if you would carry in the parks now.

imported post

I have visited a handful of national parks, and overall I have felt safe enough that I didn't overly miss having a firearm. There have been two exceptions, though, when it would have been nice to have had a concealed handgun. The main one was Big Bend. If any of you have ever been out there, you'll know that it borders Mexico. It's right across the Rio Grande. As soon as we arrived at the ranger station, they told us simultaneously to beware Mexican infiltrators and that we were not allowed to take firearms into the park. What madness is that? If there is a chance that a desperate individual will threaten my life for any reason, I want to have the power to stop him. That applies to anywhere I am - my home, a park, the gas station, a big, ugly city on one of the coasts... I am responsible for my self defense, and I defy anyone that would tell me I can't do so.

It's nice to finally have the national parks.